Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Making board games festive for your children.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,428
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Mostly Homemade (and...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 03:22 PM
60,828 Views  0 Posts
"Love Is Best" by Kate...
By MerryCarey
10-25-2011 01:08 PM
58,351 Views  0 Posts
Top Ten Questions for...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:08 PM
54,588 Views  0 Posts
Bells Christmas and Tragedy:...
By MMC Editor
12-15-2012 11:40 AM
Last post by Christmasstar
02-15-2013 08:32 PM
2 Posts
Voices of Elves in the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:22 PM
0 Posts

Old 09-25-2010, 12:18 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

DSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry dispositionDSR147 has shown a merry disposition
Making board games festive for your children.

They say that inspiration can come at any moment. There I was earlier, playing golf on the wii when I had a truly tremendous idea. This one should of be of particular interest to any parents out there who are looking for some festive fun with your children this holiday season.

You Will Need:
  • Board Game(s) - Scrabble, Cluedo, Monopoly etc
  • Sweets/Candy - i.e. M'N'M's, Minstrels, Smarties etc
  • Some small dishes

I had an idea about making board games have a festive flavour this Christmas time. I thought of this idea in relation to me and my parents playing together, but I think for any parents out there, this will be a simple, cheap and great idea to get children playing this Christmas.

Prior to playing the board game, think about the game and create some 'events' as such that could occur whilst playing. For example, if you're playing scrabble, an 'event' could be when a player makes a Christmassy word (such as snowman, ice, snow, santa, tree, lights etc) -- When this happens, that player gets a handful of sweets in one of the dishes.

It's a simple idea, but one that should hopefully get children playing more games. You don't even have to make it sweets. You could make it whatever you wanted. Dried fruit, pringles, nuts etc. Whatever you fancy. The incentive of the extra prizes should intice them in. You could even award bonus points for the person who has the most sweets left at the end for example.

There are a whole range of games you could do it with.

Scrabble - Making a christmassy word
Cluedo - Rolling a 6, after 3 suggestions
Monopoly - Rolling a 12, getting out of jail, avoiding rent, buying a house
Boggle - Making a 6 letter word, Making a 3 syllable word
Yahtzee - Making a Yahtzee, getting more then 20 points in a go
Snap - Making 3 snaps

The list could go on... Hope you find this idea useful. Let me know if you try and how it goes.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DSR147 For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (09-25-2010), ChristmasSpirit76 (09-27-2010), snowytree (10-01-2010)
Old 10-01-2010, 02:10 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Neat, you are quite imaginative. I may definitely consider the Scrabble one. All of my kids are older and they like to play Scrabble!
Old 10-09-2010, 03:57 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

santashelperkobrin has shown a merry disposition
Snowflake

We love playing bord games at Christmas time....We acuttly have too monoplys that are Christmas and a Charlie brown game as well....Its always way fun!!
Old 10-10-2010, 06:52 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,091 Times in 408 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
monopoly is a all time classic,problem is whoever is banker ends up cheating in our house
Old 10-10-2010, 12:56 PM
kerstig

I always like to make my own board games, i will definetly make a christmas edition this year, with little presents you can win, questions about christmas etc.