Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » On Christmas Day...

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Santa Clause (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:06 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
11-02-2013 05:16 AM
50,960 Views  4 Posts
How to Make Craft...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:04 PM
44,106 Views  0 Posts
santahat The Legendary Christmas...
By Jeff Westover
09-26-2012 12:27 PM
62,955 Views  0 Posts
Santa Doesn't Always...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:21 PM
48,952 Views  0 Posts
There's Something About...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:38 PM
40,776 Views  0 Posts

Old 11-04-2010, 01:26 AM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
On Christmas Day...

what do you do with your family once all of the gifts are opened? Usually my husband has been home as the children had gotten older, so we opened presents in the morning. Then during the day they would play with gifts, and it would then seem like any other regular day. With a tree decorated in the living room, and with no presents under the tree . It always makes me sad. But this year, DH will be working in the morning, so that leaves the kids, and I having to do things while we wait for him to come home. We do let the kids start opening presents from the week of Christmas, and they will also open presents at our family gathering on Christmas Eve. We do our baking, and gingerbread house decorating, crafts....prior to Christmas Day.

Any ideas? What do you do with your family?
Old 11-04-2010, 02:53 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
once the kids wake up which is normally around 7.30am there get to open the presents and we open ours and then around 11.00am i will prepare a full english breakfast,my brother and his family come around 11.30am and then the kids open more presents,then i well start to prepare christmas dinner around 12.30pm which well be done for around 4.30pm,during that time the kids will be playing around and we just sit around chatting,watching tv,my brother and his family will normally go home around 7pm and the kids will be up around 8pm and i will just watch tv after that and thats christmas done for another year.
Old 11-04-2010, 03:06 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 18,959 Times in 3,064 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
We eat Christmas dinner at 1 or 2 pm.then Open gifts which takes about an hour or two,then we watch Christmas movies and visit with each other until time for bed.
Old 11-04-2010, 07:09 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

TamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happyTamaraQT makes Santa very happy
Christmas Day the kids get up and find their "unwrapped" gifts are under the tree from Santa. So they immediately start playing with those. They barely think about breakfast since they are busy with their stuff from santa. We DO NOT open any of the wrapped gifts in the morning. I may make a quick breakfast I begin preparing dinner, turkey, ham, stuffing, mac & cheese, and etc. I try to have dinner done by 3 or 4. By then family members are arriving. We have a buffet style Christmas dinner. After dinner we sit around the tree and exchange gifts. By the time we finish its usually well after 7 or 8 at night. This way our holiday lasts the whole day. Some people may not care for waiting that long to open gifts, but it works for us. I think waiting until after dinner takes the focus away from the gifts and puts the focus on being together with family. It's just like Thanksgiving dinner all over again. But, at the end of the day, you sit around the tree and exchange gifts one by one. I love celebrating this way. By the time the last family member leaves, I am exhausted and ready for bed. I can say we all enjoyed EVERY MINUTE of Christmas Day. But as soon as I open my eyes on 12/26, I say out loud "365 Days Til Christmas" !!!!
Old 11-04-2010, 11:24 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,470 Times in 911 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
When the kids get up we all gather in the living room to open gifts which will take a couple of hours. Around 9/10 am my dad and his wife come over for breakfest and stay until noon. After breakfest we exchange gifts with them and the kids will show them their new toys. In the afternoon hubby and I will chill out on the floor with the kids. We will eat dinner around 4 ish and this year we may have company for dinner. After dinner we all relax and unwind by watching a christmas movie or 2.
Old 11-04-2010, 11:55 AM
Had enough snow, thanks.
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,754 Times in 1,084 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
My hubby and I don't have any children, and so we spend the day partly at his sister's house, and then we go to my parent's house. Usually, Ken has a great time. I'm usually half asleep because I'm an organist and have a late service on Christmas Eve. After two Christmas dinners and desserts, we usually get home around 8:00 or so, and Ken will fall asleep watching Christmas movies. By then, I'm starting to wake up again and I'll usually watch Christmas movies until 2 or 3:00 in the morning, and eat turkey sandwiches.
Old 11-04-2010, 12:03 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

snowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoesnowytree would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We just have the most fun we can on Christmas day. We get up and have breakfast, open gifts,watch Christmas shows,play some games,and usually have family over later in the day for dinner. Last year it was me, my husband, our 3 kids and my mom. I'm not sure if anyone else is planning on coming this year. I know it can be depressing when it's all over, but you know it will always be back!!
Old 11-04-2010, 06:36 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Christmas day is always so bitter sweet to me. Now that I'm older, I try to stretch out the day as much as possible, but no one else seems to have the desire to do so. I would prefer to open gifts after Christmas dinner as we all eat dessert and we've done that before...but now, since we have our son, we're doing it earlier in the day.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:01 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,091 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
my daughter was only 3 months old last year and it was all a bit of a blur to be honest.

this year, she'll be 15 months old so we'll open the gifts around 8am, eat chocolate and drink coffee (obv not DD!) we'll all be ready by 10.30am and then it's off out we go to visit family, have dinner, drink and be merry! we'll probably get home around 9pm, put DD to bed and watch a christmas movie.

it's going to be a wonderful day

we only live in a small apartment, but as soon as we have a nice, big house i will be hosting christmas. it'll be an open house for all family and friends with lots of food and drink, christmas music and christmas movies. i can't wait.

Despite my username, I am female!
Old 11-05-2010, 02:25 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
Our Christmas Day starts early, before 8am. i put on a pot of coffee, and my step children start opening their gifts. in the mean time, I start preparing the baked omelete I make for breakfast, and get that in the oven. After the breakfast table is set, my husband and i join the kids in the livingroom, and start opening presents. After breakfast, and cleaning up, it;s time to strart getting ready for christmas dinner. WE eat dinner around 2pm, then after cleaning up, relax for a while. WE listen to christmas music, or watch movies on tv. late in the afternoon, after 4pm, I put on more coffee, and set up the dessert table. While waiting for the coffee my husband and i open our stocking stuffers. it's nice waiting to do that later in the day, something to lok forward to. WE have dessert, then it's re movie watching or listening to christmas music, and we just relax the rest of the day.