Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » What's on your Thanksgiving and Christmas menus?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,093
Threads: 53,941
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,079)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 11-09-2010, 05:21 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,624 Times in 12,681 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Change of plans this Thanksgiving--I will be at YOUR house!!!! This sounds WONDERFUL!!

Cherylle in CA

Originally Posted by made582 View Post
Deep Fried Turkey
Baked Turkey
Mashed Potatoes
Sweet Potatoes
Cheesy Potato casserole
Cheesy corn casserole
Mac and Cheese
Macaroni salad
Cole Slaw
Deviled eggs
Green bean casserole
Glazed Carrots
Broccoli and rice casserole
Rolls

Pumpkin Pie
Pumpkin rolls
Chocolate eclair cake
Birthday cake(for my aunt since her birthday is the day before)
Cheesecake

Christmas will be almost the same but we will have ham instead of turkey.

Old 11-09-2010, 05:23 PM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I will send the recipe in this thread SOON!

Cherylle in CA

Originally Posted by TamaraQT View Post
A MAPLE BRINED TURKEY??? I almost fainted just at the sound of that! I bet that is one DELICIOUS Turkey!!!! Now that is a recipe I would love to have! YUM!!!
Old 11-09-2010, 07:03 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

VeganChristmasBaby has shown a merry disposition
I actually just posted my Thanksgiving menu on my blog! Here are a few of my favorite dishes:

Father-In-Law Approved Vegan Meatloaf
This recipe was inspired by a really awesome guy named Jacob, whose recipe I found online one day last year. Last Thanksgiving, Steve's dad reluctantly tried this vegan meatloaf and ended up having seconds. Thanks Jacob!

1 14oz. package vegan GimmeLean sausage
(which can be purchased in Whole Foods or your local health food store)
3/4 cup finely chopped onions
1/2 cup quick-cooking rolled oats
1/3 cup ketchup
1 tbsp of dried parsley
1 tbsp garlic powder
1 tbsp onion powder
1/2 c. nutritional yeast
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 servings of EnerG Egg Replacer (an egg substitute)
(mixed with water according to directions on the package)
3 tbsp applesauce
1 tbsp olive, safflower, or coconut oil
1 tbsp all-purpose white flour

Mix all ingredients together in a big bowl with your hands until they just come together. Put in a lightly oiled loaf pan and sprinkle some extra nutritional yeast on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes, or until loaf is heated completely through and browned nicely on top.

Turkey-Friendly Stuffing
(I recommend doubling or tripling this recipe if you have a lot of people coming)

1 package of your favorite vegan bread
2 c. onion, chopped well
2 c. celery, chopped well
3 tbsp Earth Balance Margarine
4 servings EnerG Egg Replacer - an egg substitute you can find in Whole Foods
(mixed with water according to directions on the package)
3 tbsp. Poultry Seasoning
2-3 c. Really good Vegetable Broth or Stock
More Poultry Seasoning to taste
Salt to taste

Place margarine in a medium-sized pan on medium heat. Once it melts, add onions, celery, poultry seasoning, and salt. Stir occasionally and cook for 5-7 minutes. While vegetables are cooking, rip up bread into small chunks and place in a casserole dish. Once vegetables are done cooking, pour them onto bread and mix well. Slowly pour egg replacer over everything, and mix well. Add enough broth to moisten the mixture. Place in a 350 degree oven for about 35-45 minutes, or until the top of the stuffing has browned nicely.

Remember to taste your mixture before putting it in the oven to make sure it has enough Poultry Seasoning.

Vegan Sausage and Apple Stuffing

Based on the same recipe as the Traditional Stuffing, but added to the mix will be sliced apples and crumbled, browned vegan sausage. To make the sausage crumbles, just add some olive oil to a pan, heat to medium, crumble sausage into the pan and cook until nicely browned. Add whatever spices you want to add extra flavor, mix into your stuffing mix and cook as directed above.

Classic Mashed Potatoes a la Vegan

5 large or 8 medium potatoes
1/4-1/2 c. soy or rice milk
2-3 tbsp vegan margarine
Salt

Make the same way you would mashed potatoes, except susbtitute soy or rice milk for cow's milk and vegan margarine (Earth Balance is a great brand) for butter. Easy peasy!

And then of course I end my meal with Vegan Pumpkin Pie and Holiday Egg-Free Nog! :)

All this talk of yummy vegan holiday food is making me oh so hungry...
The Following User Says Thank You to VeganChristmasBaby For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (11-09-2010)
Old 11-09-2010, 10:26 PM

Last Achievements

Here is the turkey recipe. I have a recipe where you actually make the brine, but this one is SO simple. Enjoy!

Cherylle in CA

Maple-Brined Turkey

6 quarts water
High MountainGame Bird/Poultry Brine
One 13-18-pound turkey, giblets removed
4 cups Jack Daniel’s smoke chips, soaked in water 30 minutes, drained
2 large oranges, cut into wedges
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons oriental sesame oil

Glaze

3/4 cup pure maple syrup
1/2 cup white wine
1/3 cup Jack Daniels mustard
2 tablespoons (1/4 stick butter)

Rinse turkey inside and out. Prepare brine according to package instructions. Place turkey in brine, pressing to submerge. Chill overnight, turning turkey twice. (I use a Tupperware container that I bought to store lots of flour [about 20 pounds, I think], and I do not have to turn it.) Mound charcoal briquettes in barbecue and burn until light gray. Carefully divide hot briquettes into two piles, one pile at each side of the barbecue. Sprinkle each pile with heaping 1/2 cup Jack Daniel’ssmoking chips. Place empty broiler pan between piles. Position grill at least six inches above briquettes. Position vents on barbecue so that chips smoke and briquettes burn but do not flame. Remove turkey from brine and discard brine. Pat turkey dry. Place orange wedges inside main cavity. Mix olive oil and sesame seed oil; brush over turkey. Center turkey, breast side up, on grill. Cover and cook until thermometer registers 160 degrees F. Every 30 minutes, add 1 cup hickory chips and 6 briquettes to barbecue for about 3 hours. For the glaze, bring all ingredients to simmer in heavy medium saucepan. Brush glaze over turkey during the last 30 minutes or so until the glaze is used up. Note: You can go to www.himtnjerky.com to order High Mountain Game Bird/Poultry Brine for the brine—it is EXCELLENT!!

Last edited by Seawaters; 11-09-2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Symbols came out "weird."
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seawaters For This Useful Post:
Holiday (11-10-2010), TamaraQT (11-10-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 12:02 PM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 23,639 Times in 3,842 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for the recipe!! Printing now!!!

Old 11-11-2010, 07:05 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
we don't celebrate thanksgiving in the UK, but for christmas it's something along the lines of....

roast turkey
sage and onion stuffing
mashed potatoes
roast potatoes
yorkshire puddings
cranberry sauce
bread sauce
broccoli
honey roast parsnips
sprouts
mashed carrot and turnip
lashings of gravy

dessert is christmas pudding and hot custard and chocolate yule log and cream.

all washed down with mulled wine and buck's fizz

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (11-11-2010)
Old 11-11-2010, 08:17 AM

Last Achievements

Well, if I visit Made for Thanksgiving, then I could make it to your place for Christmas dinner!! I've always wanted to try Yorkshire pudding and Christmas pudding.

Cherylle in CA

Originally Posted by JOHNOR View Post
we don't celebrate thanksgiving in the UK, but for christmas it's something along the lines of....

roast turkey
sage and onion stuffing
mashed potatoes
roast potatoes
yorkshire puddings
cranberry sauce
bread sauce
broccoli
honey roast parsnips
sprouts
mashed carrot and turnip
lashings of gravy

dessert is christmas pudding and hot custard and chocolate yule log and cream.

all washed down with mulled wine and buck's fizz
Old 11-11-2010, 08:19 AM

Last Achievements

I think I might like to try the vegan pumpkin pie. Will you share the recipe? I am even going to try some of the other recipes, too! Thanks so much for sharing.

Cherylle in CA

Originally Posted by VeganChristmasBaby View Post
...And then of course I end my meal with Vegan Pumpkin Pie and Holiday Egg-Free Nog! :)

All this talk of yummy vegan holiday food is making me oh so hungry...
Old 11-11-2010, 09:19 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,093 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
seawaters - yorkshire puddings are fabulous! we have something called toad in the hole aswell which is sausages baked into a giant yorkshire pudding. we fill it with onion gravy and it's lovely.

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
Seawaters (08-20-2011)
Old 11-11-2010, 09:56 AM

Last Achievements

Okay. I am off to hunt for the recipes. Yummo!

Cherylle in CA

Originally Posted by JOHNOR View Post
seawaters - yorkshire puddings are fabulous! we have something called toad in the hole aswell which is sausages baked into a giant yorkshire pudding. we fill it with onion gravy and it's lovely.