Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2004
By MMC Editor
06-11-2004 11:00 PM
60,554 Views  0 Posts
What will I get for...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:55 PM
0 Posts
Making Christmas Gift...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:01 PM
44,925 Views  0 Posts
The Christmas Spider
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:55 PM
47,709 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas When Life...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:23 PM
44,651 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Jeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnogJeniferdwn will NOT spit in your eggnog
Christmas pickle

Does anyone else do the Christmas pickle ornament? What/how does your family find it, what kind of prize? I bought one, but I forgot to put it on the tree.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jeniferdwn For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 01-18-2011, 01:21 PM
Santa Beagle
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,511 Times in 392 Posts
Murphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMurphman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I bought two because both of our girls are almost the same age (6 & 5) so if one got an extra present on Christmas, the other one's day would be partially ruined...putting a damper everything. Last year I placed them on either side of the tree and made sure they each found one. The gifts were identical (a pair of kid friendly binoculars). Thus, no fights. Unfortunatley little girl #3 has now arrived thus I was one pickle short so this year I forgot the tradition all together until I can buy that third pickle ornament.
Old 01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,482 Times in 9,045 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
My daughter got a pickle ornament for Christmas nearly 10 years ago. We didn't know the tradition behind it. She got it because everyone teased her about eating so many pickles.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011), xmas365 (01-24-2011)
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself

Thanked 1,399 Times in 534 Posts
superdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elfsuperdave1225 is a good elf
I'll be very honest here not known of the Christmas pickle story till being in here on My Merry Christmas. Sure isn't a KS thing that's for sure and I have been around some different families and not seen this anywhere.

Now my family is made up of Swedish/German/with a slight tinge of Cherokee Indian in the blood. But the Swedish /German blood is the strongest in me. I like to say I am 50% Swedish and 50% German. Now my Great Grandfather Per Larson came here from Sweden and later brought the rest of the family over to the Kansas City area. My Grandfather Pete was born in Sweden. My Grandma Larson came from rich German blood as both her grandparents was born in Germany. My Mothers Dad was from German blood and her Mother from German/Cherokee blood.
Ok now that I have laid that out I had seen this thread on the Christmas pickle so a few days ago I asked my Dad what this was all about. We as a rule on my Dads side of the family had Christmas on Christmas Eve. It was that way only because my relation on the German side wouldn't have it any other way. But the Swedish people as well have Christmas on Christmas Eve so all was good for the most part. So I have and was exposed to a great many of the German and Swedish way's of life.
So I ask Dad about the Christmas pickle and got about what I expected a "I don't know". Well I asked that it's supposed to be a huge German tradition so why do I not know about it. Well he explained far as he could remember it was never done and if it was really that big a tradition he was sure Grammy would have made sure we did it. And trust me Grammy was that way. You found very few hard core German way of doing things kind of person besides her. So I'm not saying it isn't a German thing but my family does not do it or has probably not in the past.
But you know, I do like the idea of it. In fact I love anything that promotes a family being close, sharing things and starting holiday traditions to be passed on down year after year. My family is not close at all and hasn't been since the great grandparents have all died. So I hope all families and member of families who read this make Christmas 2011 the year if they are not doing so already, the year the tradition of the Christmas Pickle comes to be and is done every Christmas after that.
Happy Holidays My Friends
The Following User Says Thank You to superdave1225 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (02-04-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 07:34 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,561 Times in 3,709 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
I created a comic last year featuring The Christmas Pickle... I figured if Santa brought the presents, someone HAD to bring the pickles... so was born Dill Gherkin, Bringer of the Christmas Pickle...

Snow-in-Texas (01-24-2011)
Old 01-24-2011, 10:22 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
pickle

This was a topic HERE back in 05...
see below...
http://mymerrychristmas.com/2005/pickle.shtml

then i found out more at another site which backs up what superdave had to say....

The Mysterious Origins of the Christmas Pickle, an Ornament Tradition

The origins of the Christmas pickle are shrouded in mystery. Some claim the Christmas pickle originated in Germany. Some claim the Christmas pickle was a tradition born in a prison camp during the Civil War. Whatever its origins, the Christmas pickle survives on Christmas trees all across America.

Christmas Pickle Traditions

So just what is a Christmas pickle? For the uninitiated the Christmas pickle is a Christmas ornament that looks like a pickle. Sounds obvious, right?

The pickle ornament is the last thing hung on a Christmas tree. The green ornament blends in with the tree making it difficult to spot. According to tradition, the first child to find the Christmas pickle gets an extra present. Or if no extra presents are available, the finder of the Christmas pickle gets to be the first one to open a present.

That's the only part of the Christmas pickle that almost everyone seems to be in agreement on. The rest of the Christmas pickle story is a tale of conflicting legends.

Origins of the Christmas Pickle

Most people who are familiar with the Christmas pickle claim that the pickle ornament originated from an ancient German tradition. However, if you were to ask an average German, he or she would have no clue what you are talking about. It seems no one in Germany hangs pickles on their Christmas trees. Some other contending stories vie for the origination of the Christmas pickle.
One story claims that the tradition of the Christmas pickle begins in the Middle Ages. According to this version of the Christmas pickle legend, two boys were traveling home for Christmas. When they stopped for the night at an inn, the innkeeper imprisoned them in a pickle barrel. That night, St. Nicholas also stopped at the inn, heard the boys, and freed them from the pickle barrel.

Another story about the origins of the Christmas pickle also has its roots in imprisonment. During the Civil War, John Lower (Lauer) was a prisoner of war in the infamous Andersonville Prison camp in Georgia. According to this story, the Bavarian-born Lower, was starving and asked a guard for a pickle to eat before he died. The guard took pity on the man, found a pickle and gave it to him. According to John Lower's descendents, John said the gift of that pickle gave him hope to live on. Once he was released from prison, Lower began a family tradition of hiding a pickle in the Christmas tree to symbolize the gift that was given to him. This traditions said that the first one to find the pickle would be blessed with good fortune for a year.
While John Lower's German heritage may be the source of the connection between Christmas pickles and Germany (Lower's non-German neighbors may have mistaken his personal tradition for an overall German tradition, there may be a loose connection of the Christmas pickle story to Germany.
The town of Lauscha, Germany was renowned for its hand-blown glassware and glass Christmas ornaments. In the late 1840's, glass-blowers in Lauscha began producing glass Christmas tree ornaments in the shape of fruits and vegetables and presumably - pickles. As far Christmas pickles being a German tradition, it seems to be one that is localized and isolated, rather than a widespread national tradition.

Whatever the origins of the Christmas Pickle ornament, the tradition is alive and well today and can add additional fun to the joy and merriment of the holiday season. If you're looking for a new holiday tradition, perhaps the Christmas pickle is for you.
Old 02-04-2011, 08:04 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,206 Times in 12,635 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeniferdwn View Post
Does anyone else do the Christmas pickle ornament? What/how does your family find it, what kind of prize? I bought one, but I forgot to put it on the tree.
After learning about it here on MMC we got one in 2009 for the first time. It was so much fun we are now making it a part of our Christmas every year.
The Following User Says Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
superdave1225 (02-06-2011)