Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Movies » Obscure Christmas

Movies From 100+ year old silent films to new releases here we discussed the good, the bad and the ugly of Christmas at the movies.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,441
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Doesn't Always...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:21 PM
48,928 Views  0 Posts
Bells The REAL First Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:34 PM
0 Posts
Wreaths: Eternity's...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:28 PM
50,486 Views  0 Posts
Bells Joseph, Mary and Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:52 PM
63,622 Views  0 Posts
santahat Shoppers: They're...
By MMC Editor
11-23-2011 09:47 AM
Last post by Christmasstar
01-07-2012 02:02 PM
90,372 Views  2 Posts

Old 05-23-2011, 04:48 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Obscure Christmas

Revisiting another old thread

Heres a place to talk about little known Christmas films & specials.

First of my picks, The Great Rupert with Jimmy Durante & a dancing Squirrel!!
rodmonster (05-25-2011), XmasDreams (05-25-2011)
Old 05-23-2011, 07:53 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,159 Times in 13,935 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Never saw
Old 05-23-2011, 07:56 PM

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
very cool

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QfnpgXvzslo
Old 05-25-2011, 08:13 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,093 Times in 3,694 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
dat squirrel is throwin it down.....lol

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 05-25-2011, 09:49 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,614 Times in 1,285 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by dvdelf View Post
Revisiting another old thread

Heres a place to talk about little known Christmas films & specials.

First of my picks, The Great Rupert with Jimmy Durante & a dancing Squirrel!!

Never saw it but i looked it up and i might have to check it out sometime, so thanks for the great start.

I would like to add "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" this was a movie from 1984 stared Mickey Rooney as a grandfather who died before taking this grandson to NYC for Christmas. However he comes back as an angel and then we get to a wonderful emotion of a movie.

trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZvA30iynV8

The IMDB
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0087489/
Old 05-25-2011, 11:48 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,294 Times in 5,595 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post

I would like to add "It Came upon a Midnight Clear" this was a movie from 1984 stared Mickey Rooney as a grandfather who died before taking this grandson to NYC for Christmas. However he comes back as an angel and then we get to a wonderful emotion of a movie.
Yes! I recommend that one. I paid a ridiculous price some years ago to get an original VHS on eBay, and transferred it to DVD so we could see it on the video projector. A few cameos from older character actors: Lurene Tuttle and Elisha Cook Jr.

A couple other nominees (sorry, I don't have links to clips):

Beyond Tomorrow, 1940 (often retitled Beyond Christmas)--Three businessmen each toss a wallet out of the window on Christmas Eve to see who will be honest enough to return one. A man and a woman return two of the wallets, and are invited to Christmas dinner with the businessmen, where they all become fast friends. After the businessmen die suddenly in a plane crash, they oversee the budding romance of the other two from "the other side" while wrestling with regrets from their lives. Harry Carey (no relation), C. Aubrey Smith, and Charles Winninger, among others. This one's in the public domain, like "The Great Rupert," so beware of versions with scenes missing.

We're No Angels, 1955--The setting is Devil's Island, 1895. Three convicts escape from prison on Christmas Eve and instead of robbing a family, as they intended, they get involved in their troubles and try to help. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Joan Bennett, and Basil Rathbone, among others.

Star in the Night, 1945--A 22-minute Academy Award-winning short with a simple story and superb performances. A mysterious hitchhiker and unexpected guests teach a cynical auto-court manager about the true spirit of Christmas. J. Carroll Naish and Donald Woods, among others. Turner Classic Movies runs it each December, and it's an extra on the DVD of "Christmas in Connecticut." In our house, it's not Christmas Eve without it.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 05-25-2011, 12:03 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Yes! I recommend that one. I paid a ridiculous price some years ago to get an original VHS on eBay, and transferred it to DVD so we could see it on the video projector. A few cameos from older character actors: Lurene Tuttle and Elisha Cook Jr.

A couple other nominees (sorry, I don't have links to clips):

Beyond Tomorrow, 1940 (often retitled Beyond Christmas)--Three businessmen each toss a wallet out of the window on Christmas Eve to see who will be honest enough to return one. A man and a woman return two of the wallets, and are invited to Christmas dinner with the businessmen, where they all become fast friends. After the businessmen die suddenly in a plane crash, they oversee the budding romance of the other two from "the other side" while wrestling with regrets from their lives. Harry Carey (no relation), C. Aubrey Smith, and Charles Winninger, among others. This one's in the public domain, like "The Great Rupert," so beware of versions with scenes missing.

We're No Angels, 1955--The setting is Devil's Island, 1895. Three convicts escape from prison on Christmas Eve and instead of robbing a family, as they intended, they get involved in their troubles and try to help. Humphrey Bogart, Peter Ustinov, Aldo Ray, Joan Bennett, and Basil Rathbone, among others.

Star in the Night, 1945--A 22-minute Academy Award-winning short with a simple story and superb performances. A mysterious hitchhiker and unexpected guests teach a cynical auto-court manager about the true spirit of Christmas. J. Carroll Naish and Donald Woods, among others. Turner Classic Movies runs it each December, and it's an extra on the DVD of "Christmas in Connecticut." In our house, it's not Christmas Eve without it.

I think I have all of these
Beyond tomorrow is usually included in sets with other movies
XmasDreams (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 01:35 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by dvdelf View Post
I think I have all of these
Beyond tomorrow is usually included in sets with other movies

Yea i have it on a few dvd sets some not even holiday related.
Old 05-25-2011, 03:02 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,294 Times in 5,595 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Yea i have it on a few dvd sets some not even holiday related.
Depends on your definition---The opening scenes take place on Christmas Eve.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (05-25-2011)
Old 05-25-2011, 05:19 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Depends on your definition---The opening scenes take place on Christmas Eve.

I agree it is a Christmas movie, what i am meant it shows up on quite a few Public Domain DVD sets.