Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Hot Chocolate: The Great Debate

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,447
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Best of Christmas...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:51 PM
Last post by Minta
04-01-2014 10:33 AM
47,821 Views  3 Posts
Santa Speaks 2010
By MMC Editor
06-11-2010 11:17 PM
58,242 Views  0 Posts
Annual Survey of...
By MMC Editor
09-16-2013 08:19 AM
Last post by icetene33
10-21-2013 04:04 PM
19,381 Views  2 Posts
Gift 2 The History of My Merry...
By Jeff Westover
10-12-2002 09:20 PM
58,501 Views  0 Posts
Snow or No Snow?
By MMC Editor
07-03-2011 08:18 AM
Last post by trackrebel
07-18-2013 04:46 PM
53,933 Views  4 Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 12:39 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Hot Chocolate: The Great Debate

I have gotten into heated "discussions" with friends over how to "correctly" make hot cocoa and I've come to the realization that there are two types of people in this world:
The pro-powders and the anti-powders.

The pro-powders, while they are inclusive of those who indiscriminately grab a box of Swiss Miss from the sales bin at their local food store, also include the powder-connoisseurs who enjoy mixing various powder flavors, adding cinnamon, nutmeg and other ingredients to give their powdered cocoa extra pizazz.

There is in-fighting within the group of pro-powders between those who use milk vs. those who use water in their cocoa...but that's another story.

As for the anti-powders, you would think that their range in preferences wouldn't vary so widely, but they do! During prime hot chocolate drinking seasons, the extremely devoted anti-powder drinker will stock up on various types of solid chocolates. White chocolate chips, blocks of milk chocolate and semi-sweet chocolate are all staples in their pantries...but again, this is ONLY the extremely devoted anti-powder drinker.

Many "regular" anti-powder drinkers are fine with using chocolate syrup or even spare candy bars to mix into their hot chocolate....but one thing that is certain among ALL anti-powder drinkers is that MILK must be used to make hot cocoa. While some will add half and half or even heavy cream to increase the richness of their hot cocoa, it is universally accepted among anti-powder drinkers that milk is a must in the making of all hot cocoa.

Will these two groups ever see eye to eye?!

What are you?

Me? I'm an anti-powder gal, but have been known to settle for powdered cocoa mix when a block of chocolate or chocolate chips aren't handy.
Christmasstar (07-20-2011), CJ498 (10-08-2011), GingerMel (10-18-2011), made582 (07-15-2011), MsChristmas (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:50 PM
Princess of Christmas =0)
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,797 Times in 1,093 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I LOOOOVE Hot Chocolate. I actually do not drink coffee so I really need this a few times a week to give me that boost in the mornings... even more when its cold out of course. I am addicted to hot chocolate! Are you a fan of certain hot chocolates from certain resturants? Panera Bread and Dunkin Donuts are my favorites. Panera defintely my 1st pick. I just got one from there this morning. Im a little sad to say that I have only made my own hot chocolate from powder..but I ALWAYS use milk and have to have whipped cream on top or its just not hot chocolate in my opinion. When you use morsels or bars of chocolate do you melt them on the stove or in the microwave..whats your secret?

There's no place like Home for the Holidays!

The Following User Says Thank You to MsChristmas For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-20-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:33 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,346 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For me, the recipe is (1) Ghirardelli ground chocolate and milk, or (2) cocoa, sugar, and milk. I'll make it with 2% milk, but whole milk makes it better. Maybe add a few drops of vanilla extract, or a dollop of Reddi-Whip on top. I can't go back to the powdered mix + water.

If you want to split more hairs:
hot cocoa = made with baking cocoa
hot chocolate = made with melted solid chocolate

Here's a tip I've mentioned before---if you love your hot cocoa, find thee a Cocomotion. This is an appliance made by Mr. Coffee that looks like a blender. Put in the cocoa/powdered mix and liquid of your choice, push the button, and it stirs and heats the mixture until it's done. You can make one to four cups. Easy to wash, too! My Cocomotion sits on my kitchen counter all winter, ready and waiting. We've given several as gifts, and the recipients ALWAYS tell us how much they love it.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-20-2011), MsChristmas (07-18-2011), One Spoiled Brat (07-15-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 02:59 PM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,034 Times in 2,879 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Bells

hi for me
its milk heated and with power cholocate, some suger to sweaten and some baby masmallows on top and some times whipped cream
and the best time to drink it ......is in front of a big fire watching a christmas movie and the only light is the lit chritmas tree
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shellie12 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-20-2011), MsChristmas (07-18-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 03:03 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
What a great topic!

Personally, to those who would be silly enough to argue over this I would say learn a little about chocolate.

First of all, powedered chocolate can be just fine -- if you get the right kinds. Things like Swiss Miss are mass market stuff with lots of things beyond chocolate and milk solids in it. To me, that's stuff you camp with when you need to fit it in a backpack. That isn't serious cocoa.

But, when you have something like Stephens, for example, well, you're dealing with real chocolate.

"Cocoa" doesn't come from chocolate bars. That's just goofy. Cocoa or chocolate, in it's raw form, is a powder before it becomes a chocolate bar.

So using a "powder" is no sin. It just depends what that powder is made from.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-20-2011), ClaireLovesChristmas (07-17-2011), made582 (07-15-2011), MsChristmas (07-18-2011), One Spoiled Brat (07-15-2011), Spyells (10-18-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 04:20 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
I use the powdered stuff, preferably Swiss Miss Dark Chocolate. I use hot water, cold milk, whipped cream (Lite or Choco. Cool Whip) and marshmallows, sometimes I'll throw in a handful of choco. chips. It's good with a shot of Smirnoff Vanilla-Flavored Vodka too. Never, ever, use choco. syrup for hot chocolate. :/

My mom prefers to make it with Hershey's Cocoa.

The Following User Says Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 05:00 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
I use chocolate shavings I found at Williams Sonoma. One is for peppermint hot chocolate, which has tiny shavings of peppermint in it along with the milk chocolate shavings. The other one has regular milk chocolate shavings in it. I've used the tip from Ina Garten on Food Network about mixing both whole milk and half and half into my hot cocoa on the stove. You have to heat the milk/cream mixture up slowly to avoid scorching, and slowly add the shavings while whisking the whole time. I like to use one of those hand held blenders to make sure the mixture is smooth and even after the chocolate has been added. I add a lot more chocolate to mine than the normal person because I have a very serious chocolate addiction After it's all warmed up and blended, into a mug and whipped cream goes on top!
Old 07-15-2011, 07:22 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I'm VERY anti-powder! I have made all sorts of different hot chocolates (white, dark, semi-sweet, dark chocolate-peppermint, etc) - ALWAYS with homemade whipped cream!

Maybe I'm a food snob but mmm... delish!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-20-2011), made582 (07-15-2011), MsChristmas (07-18-2011)
Old 07-15-2011, 07:23 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
What a great topic!

Personally, to those who would be silly enough to argue over this I would say learn a little about chocolate.

First of all, powedered chocolate can be just fine -- if you get the right kinds. Things like Swiss Miss are mass market stuff with lots of things beyond chocolate and milk solids in it. To me, that's stuff you camp with when you need to fit it in a backpack. That isn't serious cocoa.

But, when you have something like Stephens, for example, well, you're dealing with real chocolate.

"Cocoa" doesn't come from chocolate bars. That's just goofy. Cocoa or chocolate, in it's raw form, is a powder before it becomes a chocolate bar.

So using a "powder" is no sin. It just depends what that powder is made from.
And yes - this is true! When I say "anti-powder" I mean MIX. I will def use cocoa powder if I don't have chocolate on hand.
The Following User Says Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 07:58 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,350 Times in 14,004 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
You don't need to use powder to make it?