Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Retro » Growing Up In The 60's And 70's

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,463
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Is Santa's mail safe?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:57 PM
Last post by IronEagle302
07-09-2012 08:27 PM
50,070 Views  1 Posts
The Christmas Dress
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:40 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
11-20-2013 05:09 PM
1 Posts
Sissel and the Mormon...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:48 PM
50,266 Views  0 Posts
The Christmas Spider
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:55 PM
47,750 Views  0 Posts
14 16x16 Differences in the U.S....
By MMC Editor
11-17-2011 05:56 PM
41,705 Views  0 Posts

Old 07-15-2011, 02:05 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,021 Times in 174 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
I'm really enjoying this thread! I was born in August of '58....I don't quite remember JFK being assassinated. I remember my great-grandmother going to California on a prop-jet, and sticking around the airport afterwards to watch planes take off and land. I remember buying Richie Rich, Little Lulu, Caspar and Sad Sack comics off of a spinner rack at the drugstore. My father was a radio die hard, so I remember the last of the classic radio shows and the first TV my parents had (this would have been around 62, I guess). I remember my grandparents getting a color TV, and going to their house every year to watch the Wizard of Oz in color. I remember the Tigers winning the World Series.

Moving ahead, I remember the Bicentennial! I graduated that year, and our class colors were midnight blue and silver, our class flower the American Beauty rose. So the stage was red, white (silver) and blue. The graduation was held at the football stadium, and a man on horseback yelling "the seniors are coming!" circled the stadium before we marched out. Yes, very ! And I remember the big Bicentennial celebrations that summer and my little brothers dressing up in colonial costumes "just because".

I also remember the not-so-great things: the little girls killed in the Birmingham bombing. MLK and Bobby Kennedy being assassinated. All the riots. I remember the Watergate scandal, and watching the hearings on TV (and being very bored--I was a teenager, after all.) Even though I was a young adult by then, I remember Jonestown and the Milk-Moscone murders. (I had moved from the Midwest to the SF Bay Area the year before, so it was a very big deal at the time.) And of course, I remember the Iran hostage crisis.

Sometimes I can't believe it was all that long ago--it seems pretty vivid still!
Old 07-16-2011, 05:55 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

MrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry dispositionMrsEd has shown a merry disposition
I was about 10 when I remember hearing on the radio that John Lennon had been shot, I didnt really understand why everyone was so quiet- we where at a party! oops this was 1980 sorry.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:04 AM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Thanked 4,763 Times in 1,181 Posts
Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by MrsEd View Post
I was about 7 when I remember hearing on the radio that John Lennon had been shot, I didnt really understand why everyone was so quiet- we where at a party!
I was watching Monday Night Football when Howard Cosell broke into the game and said that John Lennon was shot. I was never a big Beatles fan and wasn't a fan of Lennon's, didn't care for his politics, but it was a very sad day. I am actually a bigger Beatles fan now, thanks to my wife.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
Old 07-16-2011, 08:40 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,574 Times in 3,713 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
I remember The Beatles first appearance on Ed Sullivan... I didn't see what the big deal was... I also remember all the "bigger kids" going crazy over something called "Sgt. Pepper"... who knew? I was 10...

I was in (I think) seventh grade when we started having class discussions about abortion and euthanasia (as a lead up to Roe v. Wade, I guess) and wondering to myself what little kids in China had to do with killing babies... euthanasia does not mean "youth in Asia"... who knew? I was 12...

CBS, NBC, ABC and PBS... that was it..! Maybe, if you were lucky, a local UHF station...

Godzilla movies on late night Chiller Theatre...

Irwin Allen disaster movies in the 70's and Mel Brooks classics Blazing Saddles and Young Frankenstein... in theatres, of course... not VHS, DVD or HBO...
Old 07-16-2011, 03:23 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,021 Times in 174 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
I remember, around 78 I think, going to a friend's house to see this new fangled cable channel that let you see recent movies--something called Home Box Office---I remember an older person saying that he thought it would fold in a year, because you already had to pay for cable, let alone pay extra for this movie channel!!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 03:46 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Snow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the treeSnow-in-Texas you could wrap up and put under the tree
I remember getting our first color TV in 1973 just in time to see the first ever airing of The Ten Commandments on network TV. It was an RCA XL 100, top of the line for it's time. I remember the truck pulling up to deliver it and my mom calling dad at work, and he said to make sure it is in the box, if not it was probably the one they had on display. Mom asked us if it was in the box, we said it was. YAY our first color TV!!!!

My wife and I just recently bought our first flat screen LCD TV, and it was an RCA. Let's just say RCA ain't what they used to be, we took it back the next day and got a Toshiba instead. While watching the RCA, the picture would just go out, we had sound, but no picture. I would turn the TV off and back on and the picture would come back, but after a while it would go out again. They told us at the store that quite a few have been returned for the same thing. We thought, gee it would have been nice to know that before we bought it.

They must be listening to The Greasy Skillet Show. Hosted by RadioJonD! Every Saturday night 8:00 PM - 10:00 PM Eastern time!
The Following User Says Thank You to Snow-in-Texas For This Useful Post:
made582 (07-16-2011)
Old 07-16-2011, 04:41 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,411 Times in 1,737 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
First fuzzy vague memory I have is of my babysitter glued to the TV when somebody had been shot. It's got to have been either MLK or Robert Kennedy.

Don't remember a whole lot of the moon landing

Saturday mornings consisted of Scooby Doo and Captain Caveman, Shazam, Isis and the Bugaloos

Stickers with happy faces, telling me "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing"!

Thinking I was in heaven when we had Kraft Dinner (still do!!)

My dad taking me to see the Ice Capades

After School Specials and Schoolhouse Rock

Zoom

Sunday mornings ice-skating then going to Dunkin Donuts for hot chocolate

K-Tel records and the Ronco Record Selector

Getting the leaflet from school for Scholastic books

Archie, Ritchie Rich, Ripley's Believe it or not

Owning every single Peanuts book
Old 07-16-2011, 06:02 PM
Santa's Mentor

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
First fuzzy vague memory I have is of my babysitter glued to the TV when somebody had been shot. It's got to have been either MLK or Robert Kennedy.

Don't remember a whole lot of the moon landing

Saturday mornings consisted of Scooby Doo and Captain Caveman, Shazam, Isis and the Bugaloos

Stickers with happy faces, telling me "I can't believe I ate the WHOLE thing"!

Thinking I was in heaven when we had Kraft Dinner (still do!!)

My dad taking me to see the Ice Capades

After School Specials and Schoolhouse Rock

Zoom

Sunday mornings ice-skating then going to Dunkin Donuts for hot chocolate

K-Tel records and the Ronco Record Selector

Getting the leaflet from school for Scholastic books

Archie, Ritchie Rich, Ripley's Believe it or not

Owning every single Peanuts book
I actually used to have some of those K-Tel records. I loved the Peanuts books too!!