Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Food » What do you serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Food From eggnog to candy canes to ginger bread and beyond the flavors and treats of Christmas are a delight. Here we engage in all things connected to Christmas foods -- from recipes to how-to's. This section of the Merry Forums is presented by Merry Christmas Recipes, our own database of Christmas recipes, many of which get submitted by our users from around the world.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, HVEKU

Old 07-18-2011, 05:04 AM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Mistletoe What do you serve for Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years?

For Thanksgiving, we do a turkey, ham, and all the trimmings. For Christmas Eve, we have a family get together with an assortment of this and that, so on both Christmas Day, and New Years Day, we usually barbeque, have shrimp, clams.....

I want to start my holiday menus, and would like to add some new dishes to my menus, so I would like to try some new recipes.

What do you usually have on your menus?

What new dishes are you planning on having?

***Feel free to share any recipes you love, or are thinking of trying.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommytotwo For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012), MsChristmas (07-18-2011)
Old 07-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
On Thanksgiving we have turkey with stuffing etc... I do not make Thanksgiving dinner. I go to both my In laws for an early dinner..usually around 2 and then my parents for a 2nd dinner around 4:30 ish. I am lucky because they only live about 10 minutes apart.

For Christmas Eve we go over my In Laws and usually have buffet style all kinds of lunch meats, homemade mac and cheese, chickfila nuggets etc..

Christmas day is when I get to make my own meal! Spiral Ham, homemade stuffing, mashed potoates, peas, greenbean casserole, cucumber salad, deviled eggs, brown and serve rolls, Christmas cookies, apple crumb pie, pumpkin pie.

For New Years we dont usually do much, I have 2 young sons. I want to start some new traditions though. I usually have to work on New Years Eve so Im wondering if we should do lunch meat platters or seafood something simple and then maybe I will make my own Turkey on New Years Day since I do not have to work? I am starving now LOL
Old 07-21-2011, 11:28 AM
Christmasologist

mommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elfmommytotwo is a good elf
Sounds like yummy holiday meals MsChristmas.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommytotwo For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012), MsChristmas (07-26-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 07:36 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class

Rennabelle is a good elfRennabelle is a good elfRennabelle is a good elfRennabelle is a good elfRennabelle is a good elfRennabelle is a good elf
Bells

Thanksgiving dinner, well we start with the biggest turkey I can find and a whole ham. I make a sausage, cranberry dressing and stuff the turkey and add a foil bikini top and bottom on it. (started as a joke years ago and is a tradition now) when you take the foil off after the turkey is browned the skin is white under it. We have potato salad, orange sherbet salad, apple snickers salad, mashed potatoes, turkey gravy, green bean casserole, candied yams, shrimp dip and crackers, veggie tray, meat and cheese tray, olives, cranberries, cranberry gelatin, deviled eggs, potato crescent rolls, and 30+ pies to many to name. Its a good thing that we are a big family.
gabulldawg (10-09-2012), happyelf (09-16-2011), MsChristmas (07-26-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 04:14 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Last Achievements

sdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elf
Thanksgiving: turkey with all the trimmings
Christmas: the last two years we've made lasagna with garlic bread
New Year's Day: meat and cheese tray with crackers and other finger foods

"In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child." - Santa Claus, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
The Following User Says Thank You to sdkluger For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (07-26-2011)
Old 07-25-2011, 08:29 PM
Mistletoeologist

ReineV has disabled reputation
Thanksgiving: Fried turkey, dressing, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, collard greens, and macaroni and cheese.
Christmas: Ham, plus everything you see above and maybe add a greenbean casserole.
New Years: Black eyed peas, collard greens, rice, fried chicken (it's a very old southern tradition to have black eyed peas and collard greens for dinner on New Years. The collard greens symbolize wealth/prosperity for the new year and the black eyed peas symbolize change and new opportunity.)
happyelf (09-16-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:04 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Good thing I just ate or this thread would have me running to the kitchen in search of something to munch on!

Our Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners are virtually identical and they have been the same since I was a wee little Sunshine - with the exception of the green bean casserole which my aunt added to the menu in the mid 80's - this was the cause of great debate and discussion amongst the cooks.

We have:

Turkey
stuffing
mashed potatoes
gravy
green bean casserole
scalloped corn
baked beans
burn and serve rolls
cranberry sauce (from the can - it has the handy cutting lines. don't judge me!)
candied yams

pumpkin pie
chocolate pie
banana pie
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)
Old 09-15-2011, 07:59 AM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,699 Times in 14,907 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanksgiving-We do the usual turkey dinner with ALL the trimmings, and desserts from here to the moon

Christmas-Christmas Eve is a pot luck where everyone usually brings something ranging from meatballs to chicken wings, etc...

Christmas Day- usually a turkey and a prime rib with all the trimmings

New Year's Eve-We switch it up some years we do pizza, some years Chinese food, and some we do finger foods. Depends what we feel like that year.
Old 09-15-2011, 11:44 AM
is waiting for Fall
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,823 Times in 1,097 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
Thanksgiving we serve; Turkey, cabbage stuffing, mashed potatoes/gravy, sweet potatoes with apples, sauerkraut (with or without cooked tomatoes-depends on who is making it), corn, green bean casserole, croissant rolls, cranberries (canned and whole, both), and for dessert Mom's Pumpkin Pie.

For Christmas we serve; Turkey (usually. Sometime's it's prime rib instead), cabbage stuffing (if turkey), mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes with apples, corn with sweet red peppers, sauerkraut, rolls, and for dessert a Yule Log (chocolate jelly roll cake with white chocolate mousse filling and white sticky frosting), and a steamed Figgy Pudding. Oh, and on Christmas we have the traditional English Crackers, and we play with the favors all through dinner.

New Year's Eve is not such a big production; we gather at Mom's around 10:30 pm for lunchmeat sandwiches with pickles and chips.

New Year's Day we usually have Lasagna.

OH, and Sunshine, my office cohorts love those "Burn and Serve" rolls. I think you're right-they're not done yet, and not done yet...and then they're burned. We gave up on them. But the "Cranberry sauce shaped like a can" is still a favorite in our family.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (10-09-2012), happyelf (09-16-2011)
Old 09-16-2011, 10:59 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by MerryBells View Post

OH, and Sunshine, my office cohorts love those "Burn and Serve" rolls. I think you're right-they're not done yet, and not done yet...and then they're burned. We gave up on them. But the "Cranberry sauce shaped like a can" is still a favorite in our family.
That's EXACTLY what happens every.single.year! I can't tell you the number of times we've served them with the caveat "cut off the bottom part - it's burned". But, my mother loves them so we make (and burn) them every year. It's actually part of our Christmas tradition. LOL
gabulldawg (10-09-2012)