Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 07-21-2011, 07:28 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,731 Times in 2,168 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Christmas Cookies

Since I am the un-official cookie maker at Christmas, I have had no luck at all with making sugar cookies.

Every year I have trouble with either the dough sticking to the table, they don't cut right with the cookie cutters, too much flour or their too dry, etc.

Does anyone have a full proof recipe, that even a dad "that cannot cook", can make without too much trouble?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
MsChristmas (07-22-2011), snowflake22 (04-01-2014)

Old 07-21-2011, 07:52 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,318 Times in 13,286 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Best thing to do is head over to
Christmas Food forum and ask the pros there
Or, pm MrsH who is our
MMC Mistress of Home, Decor & Cuisine

Also you could join one of the :
Member-Only Group Forums
specifically the...
Christmas Cookies
Click here to visit this social group

Hope that helps!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014), xmastidings (07-23-2011)
Old 07-22-2011, 09:11 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,817 Times in 1,099 Posts
MsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the treeMsChristmas you could wrap up and put under the tree
Good luck! Please let me know if you find a good recipe! My problem is I want them to taste and look just like my Grandma's and they never turn out that way! I have a few new recipes to try for this year but I havent tried to make them yet. The one is from the pillsbury website and got really good reviews. Here is the link but I cant make any promises since I havent tried it yet myself!

http://www.pillsbury.com/recipes/sea...-6e394792a3f8/
Old 07-22-2011, 10:38 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I love this recipe!
http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/the-bes...es/detail.aspx

My tip is to roll it out between parchment and when you cut it out - peel awya the excess and leave the cookies on the parchment - then transfer to a cookie sheet and bake!
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (07-24-2011), Head Elf (07-24-2011), Laney (07-24-2011), made582 (07-22-2011), Meceka (07-23-2011), MsChristmas (07-26-2011), snowflake22 (04-01-2014), xmastidings (07-23-2011)
Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,731 Times in 2,168 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
That's a good idea. I have never even considered using parchment. Thank you!
The Following User Says Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014)
Old 07-23-2011, 08:24 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,618 Times in 7,653 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by judesmama View Post
I love this recipe!

My tip is to roll it out between parchment and when you cut it out - peel awya the excess and leave the cookies on the parchment - then transfer to a cookie sheet and bake!
Great idea!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014), xmastidings (07-25-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:18 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,069 Times in 277 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I love this recipe!

Oh my goodness! You just saved my life today with this tip! I'm baking Christmas cookies today for CIJ to take to work and my church small group tomorrow. I was just complaining to my husband last night how much I love to do this but to make SO many cookies at once is very frustrating bc they stick to the counter or get too warm while you are waiting for the others to get out of the oven and they loose their shape and all that.

I would have NEVER thought about just rolling it on the parchment!!!!! No more sticking to the counter - you just pick up the whole sheet and bake it as is! More even cooking, no messy cookie sheets to clean up, no messy counter top and perfect cookies! YAY for CIJ cookies!!!!
~Laney
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014)
Old 07-24-2011, 06:20 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Woo hoo, glad the tip worked! And hooray for Christmas cookies in July~!
The Following User Says Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014)
Old 07-24-2011, 08:24 AM

Last Achievements

Chef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry dispositionChef Matt has shown a merry disposition
I love this recipe!

GREAT tip. Thank you.

You can also try this recipe. It calls for cream cheese which makes the cookies a little softer. Overall, it's one of my favorites though.
Cream Cheese Sugar Cookies

8 ingredients

1 c. sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. butter
3 oz. cream cheese
1/2 tsp. almond extract
1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 egg yolk
2 1/4 c. flour

Combine and blend all ingredients except flour and then slowly mix in the flour. Chill for a couple of hours. Roll out dough to desired thickness and cut into shapes. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 7 to 10 minutes or until the edges begin to brown.

You may also like:
Dutch Almond Cookies
Cherry Cream Cheese Tarts
Cream Cheese Brownies
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chef Matt For This Useful Post:
made582 (07-24-2011), MsChristmas (07-26-2011), snowflake22 (04-01-2014), xmastidings (07-25-2011)
Old 07-24-2011, 01:52 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,069 Times in 277 Posts
Laney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoeLaney would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I love this recipe!

Okay Judesmama (and Noel's too!)

I'm currently chilling the dough from this recipe that you posted and then using your tip - I'll have to come back and give my report!

I hope I did all of the conversions right! I wanted to double the recipe, but was short just a tiny bit of butter to do so. So, I tried to do the math as to how much to do for not quite double. We'll see I guess!
The Following User Says Thank You to Laney For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (04-01-2014)