Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Why do non christians celebrate christmas?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,961)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in Europe
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:21 PM
0 Posts
The True Story of Silent...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:58 PM
54,933 Views  0 Posts
Mistletoe Christmas in America...
By MMC Editor
10-23-2012 03:40 PM
34,029 Views  0 Posts
Dear Santa: Cynical...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2011 09:39 PM
55,056 Views  0 Posts
Gift 2 Book Review: Good King...
By MMC Editor
10-29-2012 12:50 AM
86,278 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-13-2011, 09:56 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sammylar1304 has shown a merry dispositionsammylar1304 has shown a merry disposition
I am a christian but dont practise it as much as i should. As much as i believe that Christmas is the most important time to give thanks to the Lord i have absolutely the same view on Christmas as u. Food, family, lights, decorations, presents and.....being from the uk....booze!! haha. So i think when people say that you can only celebrate christmas if you are a true Christian who does go to church every sunday, says a prayer before every meal and before they sleep as many christians i know do then i take that is ridiculous, if you want to celebrate it, u can but maybe just take a minute of the whole entire season to remember why we have it and for me that shows enough christianity for 1000 christmases. Merry Christmas
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sammylar1304 For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-14-2011), gabulldawg (09-13-2011), jayden28 (09-13-2011), JOHNOR (09-13-2011), MsChristmas (09-13-2011), snowflake22 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 10:54 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,091 Times in 713 Posts
JOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the treeJOHNOR you could wrap up and put under the tree
great thread, really interesting.

i am catholic, i'm not a practising catholic per se, but i believe in jesus christ and i believe he loves us all no matter what our beliefs.

personally i love to attend church over the christmas period, but i also love the food and drink, the getting together with family and friends, the hustle and bustle of everybody shopping for gifts, the lights, the trees, santa, the christmas movies and music... basically all the stuff that everyone can love and appreciate no matter what their beliefs.

jeff, that book sounds fantastic. since watching "the nativity - the greatest story ever told" on bbc1 here in england last december i have had a keen interest in the maji and their journey. please be sure to let us know what you thought of the book at the end.

Despite my username, I am female!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JOHNOR For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-14-2011), gabulldawg (09-13-2011), MsChristmas (09-13-2011), snowflake22 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 12:26 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker

candysprinkles has shown a merry disposition
You don't have to be a Christian to celebrate Christmas any more than you have to be a Pagan to celebrate Halloween. I do happen to be a Christian, but like Jeff said Christmas is a National Holiday in our country and people of many faiths celebrate it. Take what you like about Christmas and celebrate that...leave the rest.

I like to celebrate at a Christmas Eve service, even though we can't do that every year because we often travel at Christmas time. What we do at our house is take one day to celebrate the reason for the season. On that day we read the Christmas story from the Bible and for the last 5 years of so, we have had a birthday cake for Jesus. That is our way of celebrating what we believe Christmas is really about...but, we celebrate lots of other ways at Christmas,too. Lights, decorations, family time, gifts, songs, etc. Christmas can mean different things to different people. Nothing wrong with that.

My parents were actually pretty devout Christians and we were not allowed to celebrate Halloween when I was a kid. That made me really angry as a child, in fact, turned me off of religion for a long time. We had to sit outside in the hall at school while the rest of class had a Halloween party and weren't allowed to wear a costume or trick or treat. Halloween for me is about kids dressing up, having fun and eating candy, and spending time together as a family. As a very young child I promised my kids would never be told they couldn't celebrate Halloween or that there was anything wrong about it. It doesn't have to be a celebration of evil, demons, all things gory, black and gothic as my mother would have me believe. To me this is similar to the OPs question because we made family Halloween traditions that are more about food, family fun and spending time together; which is what I think many non-christians do at Christmas time.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candysprinkles For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-14-2011), jayden28 (09-13-2011), JOHNOR (09-14-2011), made582 (09-13-2011), snowflake22 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 05:01 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,561 Times in 3,709 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Christmas SHOULD be inclusive, rather than exclusive...

Love, peace, family, friends... what's not to like..?

Christian or otherwise... I AM a Christian... but I wouldn't be a very good one if I started making stipulations about who was invited to the party or not...

Always an outside chance that a non-believer will find Christ in some small, random act of kindness associated with the holiday... maybe not... but CERTAINLY not if they're discouraged from joining in...

All are welcome... let's party!
Bradmac (09-15-2011), brent (09-13-2011), caninemom3 (09-14-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (09-13-2011), gabulldawg (09-14-2011), Gingerbread Latte (09-16-2011), jayden28 (09-14-2011), JOHNOR (09-14-2011), made582 (09-13-2011), snowflake22 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-13-2011, 08:43 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,453 Times in 1,973 Posts
brent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa enviousbrent makes even Santa envious
Fantastic thread.

As I have stated numerous times, some of my best and most memorable moments of my life include Christmas. As a child, my family was not very religious. My dad has never really attended a church service his entire life, and the only time I visited was during Christmas. I attended with my mom, grandmother and a few other family members. To this day, I do not really associate with any religion.

With that said, I can only echo the thoughts and excitement amongst those previous non-Christians before me. Although my family was not religious, everyone loved Christmas. As a child, I would spend some quality time with my dad by going to our cottage in search of the perfect tree. Then, we would cut it down from our lot and bring it home. The decorations and the lights would be magical. Ohhhh, the lights! And the music! The family! The fun!

On Christmas Eve, my dad would set up a camera on the landing in hopes to photograph Santa Claus delivering our presents during the night. Of course, he never captured Santa - only the period just after he left with the Christmas presents laying beautifully under the tree - but I will remember the photos forever. The lights were dancing in each photo as they shone brightly during Christmas eve night and into Christmas morning.

Being a non-Christian, why do I celebrate Christmas? It helps me remember the magical moments I experienced as a child. Although my dad and mom split up when I was 7, I can still recall the times that they were together. Moreover, I can remember the years afterwards as well. There was not a Christmas that was not filled with lights, laughter and love.

Everything about the Season is magical. And, with typing this, I have gotten myself way too excited for 10:43 PM. Oops! I truly cannot wait to celebrate another Christmas.

"The bells, the bows and the flashing lights, the mistletoes and the 'Silent Nights. It's all for show, but that's all right. That's not why I love this time of year..."
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to brent For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (09-14-2011), gabulldawg (09-14-2011), jayden28 (09-14-2011), JOHNOR (09-14-2011), snowflake22 (09-13-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 02:31 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,102 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am a christian and to me Jesus Christ is the reason for the season.....But I embrace everything surrounding christmas and I embrace everyone who wants to come for the ride....Christmas is about love.....Jesus taught us to spread it as well....and what better way to spread than to celebrate christmas alltogether

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (09-14-2011), jayden28 (09-14-2011), JOHNOR (09-14-2011), snowflake22 (03-31-2014)
Old 09-14-2011, 04:33 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
It seems by reading a few posts that alot of people's best memories are of there childhood christmases which i did not have,no fault of my parents back then most asian families did not do anything but with my generation its different,i want my 2 boys to remember there childhood christmases.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayden28 For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (09-14-2011), made582 (09-14-2011), snowflake22 (03-31-2014), Solice (09-15-2011)
Old 09-14-2011, 05:16 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,102 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
what I wanted to say, tho....matter if christian or not...people should at least know why christmas is celebrated in the first...dont need to be believers...just know where it all comes from ....... they showed youths being questioned last year in november why we celebrate christmas, and they came up with the most stupid responses I have ever heard.....we celebrate christmas because maria and joseph were wandering and found a place to sleep....no talk about jesus christmas....lol.....or we celebrate the resurrection of Jesus christmas.....the best one

The host asked a mid-aged man if he knows what became of Jesus and what became of Christ.....the guy answered that they both had a hard life....and that one of them was cruzified

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (09-14-2011), jayden28 (09-14-2011), snowflake22 (03-31-2014)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:27 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,561 Times in 3,709 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Realize, of course, that over the centuries with switchovers from Hebrew to Julian to Gregorian calendars that Jesus' birthday was ORIGINALLY (by nearest estimate) in late August (possibly September)...

A few centuries later, the church noticed that the peasantry were celebrating the Winter Solstice (a pagan holiday) in mid-December and decided to graft the birth narrative onto that... if the people were going to get drunk and whoop it up, they may as well whoop it up for The Lord...

So, Christmas became this uneasy alliance between the secular and religious which continues today...

Say, Jeff... sounds like this could be a good topic for one of the podcasts...
caninemom3 (09-14-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (09-14-2011), gabulldawg (09-14-2011), made582 (09-14-2011), snowflake22 (03-31-2014)
Old 09-14-2011, 07:40 AM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,447 Times in 9,243 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

This just reflects what all before me have said.......I just kind of like the overall message. I think too many folks get hung up on what everyone else is doing and are not paying attention to their own lives. Excluding someone from celebrating Christmas because of their religious preferences is like excluding someone from a hug that they may really need...xo

HOW TO CELEBRATE CHRIST'S BIRTHDAY
-- from Christ

Dear children,

It has come to my attention that many of you are upset that folks are taking My name out of the season. Maybe you've forgotten that I wasn't actually born during this time of the year and that it was some of your predecessors who decided to celebrate My birthday on what was actually a time of pagan festival. Although I do appreciate being remembered anytime.

How I personally feel about this celebration can probably be most easily understood by those of you who have been blessed with children of your own. I don't care what you call the day. If you want to celebrate My birth just, GET ALONG AND LOVE ONE ANOTHER. Now, having said that, let Me go on. If it bothers you that the town in which you live doesn't allow a scene depicting My birth, then just get rid of a couple of Santa’s and snowmen and put in a small Nativity scene on your own front lawn. If all My followers did that there wouldn't be any need for such a scene on the town square because there would be many of them all around town.

Stop worrying about the fact that people are calling the tree a holiday tree, instead of a Christmas tree. It was I who made all trees. You can & may remember Me anytime you see any tree. Decorate a grape vine if you wish: I actually spoke of that one in a teaching explaining who I am in relation to you & what each of our tasks were. If you have forgot that one, look up John 15: 1 - 8.

If you want to give Me a present in remembrance of My birth here is my wish list. Choose something from it.

1. Instead of writing protest letters objecting to the way My birthday is being celebrated, write letters of love and hope to soldiers away from home. They are terribly afraid and lonely this time of year. I know, they tell Me all the time.

2. Visit someone in a nursing home. You don't have to know them personally. They just need to know that someone cares about them.

3. Instead of writing George complaining about the wording on the cards his staff sent out this year, why don't you write and tell him that you'll be praying for him and his family this year. Then follow up. It will be nice hearing from you again.

4. Instead of giving your children a lot of gifts you can't afford and they don't need, spend time with them. Tell them the story of My birth, and why I came to live with you down here. Hold them in your arms and remind them that I love them.

5. Pick someone that has hurt you in the past and forgive him or her.

6. Did you know that some people in your town will attempt to take their own lives this season because they feel so alone and hopeless? Since you don't know who those people are, try giving everyone you meet a warm smile. It could make the difference. Also, you might consider supporting the local Hot-Line: they talk with people like that every day.

7. Instead of nit picking about what the retailer in your town calls the holiday, be patient with the people who work there. Give them a warm smile and a kind word even if they aren't allowed to wish you a “Merry Christmas" that doesn't keep you from wishing them one. Then stop shopping there on Sunday. If the store didn't make so much money on that day they'd close and let their employees spend the day at home with their families.

8. If you really want to make a difference, support a missionary, especially one who takes My love & Good News to those who have never heard My name. You may already know someone like that.

9. Here's a good one. There are individuals & whole families in your town who not only will have no "Christmas" tree, but neither will they have any presents to give or receive. If you don't know them (and I suspect you don't) buy some food & a few gifts & give them to the Marines, the Salvation Army or some other charity which believes in Me & they will make the delivery for you.

10 Finally if you want to make a statement about your belief in and loyalty to Me, then behave like a Christian. Don't do things in secret that you wouldn't do in My presence. Let people know by your actions that you are one of mine.

P.S ~ Don't forget; I am God and can take care of Myself. Just love Me & do what I have told you to do. I'll take care of all the rest. Check out the list above & get to work; time is short. I'll help you, but the ball is now in your court. And do have a most blessed Christmas with all those whom you love and remember I LOVE YOU

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning to dance in the rain.

-- Author Unknown

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (09-15-2011), Christmas-A-Holic (09-14-2011), Gingerbread Latte (09-16-2011), jayden28 (09-14-2011), lauriebear (09-15-2011), MerryBells (09-14-2011), shellie12 (09-15-2011), snowflake22 (03-31-2014)