Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,971
Threads: 53,430
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,327)
Welcome to our newest member, BelenikovaRord
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
A Babe at Christmas
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:25 PM
Last post by ilovesilentnight
10-28-2011 04:28 PM
46,157 Views  1 Posts
What is Mrs. Claus'...
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:53 PM
57,368 Views  0 Posts
santahat A Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-26-2011 10:14 AM
81,736 Views  0 Posts
Annual Survey of...
By MMC Editor
09-16-2013 08:19 AM
Last post by icetene33
10-21-2013 04:04 PM
19,274 Views  2 Posts
stocking Top Ten Reasons You...
By MMC Editor
09-23-2013 04:07 PM
13,730 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-27-2011, 12:27 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,202 Times in 480 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Elf On The Shelf

I'm sorry if this isn't in the right spot. I haven't started a lot of threads even though I've been posting here for a number of years.

Have you guys heard about this? It's called Elf On The Shelf and it's a tradition for some families down here in TN. Apparently you take one of those old-timey looking elves and put him on a shelf in your child's room. The elf is the one who relays information about whether they've been naughty or nice to Santa. It's officially Christmas when the Elf comes out to sit on the shelf.

I just heard about it and thought the folks here at MMC might really like it.

http://alumnus.tennessee.edu/2011/09/working-for-santa/

I heard about it from my alumni newsletter. I'm not affiliated with this lady at all...just thought it was super cool. If I ever have children, I think I will definitely do this!
snowflake22 (01-10-2014), theraglady (09-27-2011)
Old 09-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Sunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoeSunshine73 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I've thought about buying one for my nieces and nephews - I think it's a neat tradition and, as I understand it, the Elf leaves a gift as well when he leaves with Santa Christmas Eve.
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-28-2011, 08:28 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I thought it was pretty cute...now I just need the kids to practice the tradition with.
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:09 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 15,934 Times in 3,672 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
how cute....I think...I will do this this year with Kandice

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-28-2011, 02:23 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Gingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry disposition
candle

I did this a couple years with my girls, before they got too old for it. We had a lot of fun with this! I'm pretty sure I've seen other threads on this forum that talk about elves and Christmas magic, and they have lots of ideas for incorporating this tradition into your family.
The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerbread Latte For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-28-2011, 03:14 PM
Emerging from the Cave
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,071 Times in 657 Posts
Courtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happyCourtney makes Santa very happy
A friend of mine is a teacher, and she does EotS with her students. The Elf moves about the classroom during the night, and the kids love to seek out where the Elf is the next day. Could be on the bookshelf, on a desk, under a table, in a cubby etc...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Courtney For This Useful Post:
Gingerbread Latte (09-28-2011), snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-29-2011, 09:51 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,611 Times in 578 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
We have the elf & the book that goes with it. We're just about 45 minutes away from you. I know you can find the elf/book combo close by! Elf doesn't leave a gift for us, but he does move from place to place every night, watching DD's behavior.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (09-29-2011), snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-29-2011, 11:01 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
I love the idea but the Elves don't seem to come to the UK! I might see if I can get one sent over.
The Following User Says Thank You to happyelf For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)
Old 09-29-2011, 01:52 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

I could get one for you and mail it out if you need me to.

I am not sure if I'd have to order it online or what. You might be able to have it ordered then shipped to me then I could just mail it to you...whatever helps!

Originally Posted by whitney37354 View Post
We have the elf & the book that goes with it. We're just about 45 minutes away from you. I know you can find the elf/book combo close by! Elf doesn't leave a gift for us, but he does move from place to place every night, watching DD's behavior.
Neat! Can we pick them up locally?
snowflake22 (01-10-2014)