Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » How long do you leave your decorations up!

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,081
Threads: 53,861
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,290)
Welcome to our newest member, Blitz

Old 08-23-2007, 12:44 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
ornament

I can understand that. Our decoration that are in the inside come down sooner than the ones on the outside. But like you said it depends on what is going on socially in our home as well.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chillywilly For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-29-2013), snowflake22 (03-05-2014)

Old 08-25-2007, 12:16 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

MissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elfMissKringle is a good elf
we leave them up till any of us feel like lugging the tree out LOL
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MissKringle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2007, 01:07 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Ours ALWAYS have to be down by Twelfth Night (January 5th) Otherwise it's considered bad luck.
That said, I've still got a Christmas plate up just to test the theory.......

Last edited by Maureen; 08-25-2007 at 01:10 PM. Reason: Remembered something..!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maureen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-25-2007, 01:23 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
Ours ALWAYS have to be down by Twelfth Night (January 5th) Otherwise it's considered bad luck.
That said, I've still got a Christmas plate up just to test the theory.......

I was wondering where we got that tradition in our family. As my father's family is from Scotland. Thanks for solving a mystery for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Head Elf For This Useful Post:
Old 09-01-2007, 10:11 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Chillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elfChillywilly is a good elf
tree

It is interesting to see other views and customs around this topic.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Chillywilly For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2007, 10:37 AM

haagarr has shown a merry dispositionhaagarr has shown a merry disposition
January or after I TAKE THEM DOWN WHEN MY HUSBAND STARTS BEGGING ME IF IT WAS UP TO ME I LEAVE UP YEAR ROUND
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to haagarr For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2007, 07:50 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener

xlizxfraserx has shown a merry dispositionxlizxfraserx has shown a merry disposition
We usualy leave them up until 1 week after new years,i can't imagine celebrating new years without them up
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xlizxfraserx For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2007, 08:23 PM
Christmas Royalty

sugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnogsugarplum fairy will NOT spit in your eggnog
We usually take ours down around the first weekend in January. A few years ago when I had my son, the stayed up until February. I was too busy and too tired to even think about them.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sugarplum fairy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-15-2007, 11:18 PM

Misfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry disposition
I put mine up the week after Halloween and then take them down mid-the end of January. I do a lot inside and to me its also my winter display, so I never get sick of it, I love it as long as I can! I could never take them down before New Years, new years is part of it still, liek the song says, We Wish You a Merry Xmas AND a Happy New Year!!!!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Misfit Toy For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-29-2013), mike24forever (01-27-2014), snowflake22 (03-05-2014)
Old 09-16-2007, 04:08 PM
Christmas Star
Last Achievements

ChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry dispositionChristmasSpirit76 has shown a merry disposition
tree decorations

We generally start putting up decorations the week of halloween or the first week in november and we generally have everything down by the end of January give or take a week. This past christmas our tree remained up till May undecorated, only because my dad hurt his back and couldn't bring it down to the basement. He wanted to leave it up for good and decorate it for the seasons but it has fake snow on it plus, i love the anticipation of not seeing it and then bringing it out for the holiday season. If we had a bigger house we wanted to put up our christmas villiage year round and have a christmas room to peak at every now and then
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ChristmasSpirit76 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-29-2013), mike24forever (01-27-2014), snowflake22 (03-05-2014)