Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > TV » Lighting the tree in Rockefeller Center

My Merry Christmas Announcement

TV For any child of the 1960s (and later) Christmas just wouldn't be the same without television. Talk Christmas on the tube here, brought to us and constantly updated by the most comprehensive Christmas television resource online, MerryChristmasTV.net.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 11-29-2010, 06:38 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

mac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elf
Hard to believe this is tomorrow night already along with a slew of other specials on 3 of the 4 main tv stations!!

Dec is almost here already!!

I can't believe it.

ML
Old 11-29-2010, 09:10 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Location: Pennsylvania in my heart, North Carolina physically.
Santa's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to othersSanta's Helper is a gift to others
Originally Posted by mac55 View Post
Hard to believe this is tomorrow night already along with a slew of other specials on 3 of the 4 main tv stations!!

Dec is almost here already!!

I can't believe it.

ML
I know at 8pm on NBC is the lighting of the tree, 8pm on ABC is the Grinch and 8pm on CBS is Rudolph!! I think Shrek the Halls is on at 8:30 on ABC. I've decided that since TBS runs the Grinch a lot to skip recording that show so that I can record the other ones.

"You used up all the glue on purpose!"-A Christmas Story
Old 11-30-2010, 05:58 AM

mac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elf
Here is a link with a picture of the tree getting setup:

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2010/11/...hting-tonight/

Cheers!!

ML
Old 10-08-2011, 06:17 AM

The 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be lit for the first time on Wednesday, November 30, 2011, with live and taped performances from 7 P.M. - 9 P.M., at Rockefeller Plaza, between West 48th & West 51st Streets and 5th and 6th Avenues, Manhattan.
Old 10-08-2011, 10:33 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 9,537 Times in 1,441 Posts
Solice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the Wisemen
I wish I could see that live!
Maybe I will do that next year!
Old 10-11-2011, 11:02 AM

One of these days, I would love to do that also.
Not necessarily for New Year's Eve as it seems to hectic in the area, but just be there for a weekend in early Dec just to see the tree in person.

Hopefully one day.

Hard to believe in just a few weeks, it will be in place getting decorated.

Cheers!!

ML

Originally Posted by Solice View Post
I wish I could see that live!
Maybe I will do that next year!
Old 11-07-2011, 10:34 AM

FYI:

The 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be welcomed at Rockefeller Center on Friday, November 11th, 2011, when a giant crane will hoist it into position in front of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Once the tree is in place, scaffolding will be erected around it and it will be decorated with more than 30,000 multi-colored, energy-efficient LED lights strung over five miles of wire.

Cheers!!

ML

One of these days, I would love to do that also.
Not necessarily for New Year's Eve as it seems to hectic in the area, but just be there for a weekend in early Dec just to see the tree in person.

Hopefully one day.

Hard to believe in just a few weeks, it will be in place getting decorated.

Cheers!!

ML
Old 11-07-2011, 10:49 AM

Cee Lo Green singing on NBC's 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting special along with Michael Bublé.

ML

FYI:

The 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree will be welcomed at Rockefeller Center on Friday, November 11th, 2011, when a giant crane will hoist it into position in front of 30 Rockefeller Plaza. Once the tree is in place, scaffolding will be erected around it and it will be decorated with more than 30,000 multi-colored, energy-efficient LED lights strung over five miles of wire.

Cheers!!

ML
Old 11-08-2011, 05:55 AM

An evergreen in the tiny town of Mifflinville, Pa., was picked to be the 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas tree

In a rural town of only 2,500 people, it’s impossible to keep a secret about a 75-foot-tall Pennsylvania spruce that’s about to become an international celebrity.
An evergreen now under 24-hour police protection in the tiny town of Mifflinville, Pa., has been picked to be the 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas tree, the Daily News has learned.
Sources told The News the towering tree at the corner of Fair St. and Kline Rd., 160 miles west of New York City, will be the first from the Keystone State selected for the prestigious holiday duty.
“It’s a great honor for the town of Mifflinville,” Mifflinville Town Supervisor George Welliver said Monday when told by a News reporter of the tree’s destination.
“We are a great little town and maybe this will cause more people to stop by,” Welliver said.
Townfolk said the tree’s spectacular fate has been a badly kept secret that some are still vigorously maintaining.
“I can’t tell you how foggy it is outside,” the owner of the tree said Monday when contacted by The News. All questions were referred to Rockefeller Center publicist Iva Benson.“At this point, we are not confirming which tree will be the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree,” Benson said. Police Chief Bill Richendrfer was just as mum when asked why his officers were guarding the tree around the clock. “All I can say is that someone has agreed to pay the township to watch the tree around the clock until Thursday,” Richendrfer said. “I’m not going to say who or why.”
A cop guarding the tree Monday acted as if it were a dignitary. “I can’t comment, but don’t go near the tree,” said the officer, even as gawkers showed up to snap photos. If the tree were a movie star, Guy Broadt, 64, would have asked for an autograph.“I wanted to get a good look before it hit the Big Apple,” said Broadt of nearby Espy as he took pictures of the spruce. John Broscious, 70, who lives across the street from the tree, said rumors began swirling about six months ago. “Soon after a bunch of people showed up taking pictures of the tree,” Broscious said. “Then last summer, these large tank trucks began coming up here spraying all kinds of chemicals on the tree.”
In recent days, a team of arborists arrived and wrapped every branch as if getting it ready for transporation. “It was quite a job,” Broscious said. “It took them three days.”
The tree will be lit in 30,000 environmentally friendly LED lights and crowned with a Swarovski crystal star when it is finally unveiled Nov. 30 in Rockefeller Plaza.

Cheers!!

ML

Cee Lo Green singing on NBC's 2011 Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree Lighting special along with Michael Bublé.

ML
Old 11-10-2011, 05:42 AM

The Tree is on it's way!!

Every year Debra Keller would take her granddaughters to New York City to take in the holiday traditions -- going to a show, having lunch at their favorite restaurants, shopping and a visit to the Christmas tree at Rockefeller Center.
This year when they visit Rockefeller Center, it will be their own tree.
The 74-foot tall Norway spruce that once provided a shade and a scenic sight on their lawn in Pennsylvania will become the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree for 2011.
"To be honest it won't be sad to see the tree go," said Keller, 56, in a statement. "We just feel honored that the tree was chosen and will be enjoyed by so many people when it's sitting in the middle of Rockefeller Center."
The iconic Christmas tree is expected to arrive on a flatbed truck Friday morning and will grace Rockefeller Center in Manhattan when it's officially erected at the end of November.
The Norway spruce weighing approximately 10 tons was cut down Wednesday morning in Mifflinville, Pennsylvania, and hoisted by a huge crane onto a 115-foot-long trailer where it will be driven to Manhattan. The 46-foot-wide tree will be raised at Rockefeller Center Friday morning.
The tree, which is approximately 75 years old, was first spotted by the Rockefeller Center team during a routine drive down Interstate-80. Rockefeller Center's head gardener saw the tree out of the corner of his eye from the driver's seat.
The tree made an immediate impression standing tall on the lawn of Debra Keller's 79 year-old mother Nancy's house where she has lived since 1969.

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/video/#!/n...ebut/133575033

Cheers!!

ML