Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Home Come here to introduce yourself, meet the Christmas Crew and get help using our forums. We also share news and information from our sister sites in this area as well as coordinate details of our year events, chats and contests. Our sponsors occasionally post special offers for our users in this area, too. .

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,431
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat A Black Friday...
By MMC Editor
11-26-2011 10:14 AM
81,742 Views  0 Posts
Is it Donner or Donder?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:53 PM
48,398 Views  0 Posts
A Christmas Tree for...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:19 PM
55,405 Views  0 Posts
It's the Gift, Not the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:38 PM
36,296 Views  0 Posts
“Christmas Afternoon” by...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:51 AM
38,805 Views  0 Posts
View Poll Results: How do you celebrate Christmas?
It is a completely religious and sacred thing to me. 26 38.24%
I privately observe religious elements of Christmas but accept differing thoughts about it. 25 36.76%
I lean a little more to the secular side but tolerate those who make it a religious event. 16 23.53%
I am atheist and I observe Christmas for non-religious or sentimental reasons. 7 10.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 68. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-16-2011, 06:01 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,562 Times in 1,457 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
Hello everyone,

I chose answer number two. Let me say that first of all I love God. There is not a moment in my day or night when I am not speaking to Him. I love Jesus and the Holy Spirit and also Mary, the Mother of Jesus and like others on the boards, I am a Catholic. There have been many times in my life when in the eyes of others, perhaps, I would not have been perceived as a very good Christian. I have doubts. I have questions. I have even gone as far as shaking my fist and screaming at the sky. There have been times when I thought it was all a lot of myths. No matter how I may have tried not to believe, God still calls me back to Him and tells me He loves Me just as I am. I don't know why. While I am a Christian, I still believe tolerance and love are the answers for a lot of things including those views which are very,very different from my own.

The thing I object to is anyone trying to push their beliefs or
non-beliefs on me. I once had a friend who was an atheist. He just couldn't let me alone with my faith. He was always pushing his
nonbelief on me. That gets just as tired as others going the other way. To me, Jesus does not want to be pushed on people. He wants people to come to Him themselves on their own terms, not be forced down someone's throat.

I will always stand up for Christ and Christmas. I celebrate it as the commemoration of His birth. I also respect those who do not believe yet do not try to take away our freedom to celebrate Christmas as we see fit, who just celebrate or not celebrate in their own way as they see fit. Jesus said "Love one another as I have loved you" (paraphrasing). I really believe that is what we need to try and do instead of all this fighting in the world.

Merry CHRISTmas everyone. May all have a wonderful Christmas and may all have a fantastic New Year. ((Hugs)) xo
That was so well said!!! I love how we have all expressed what we feel and if you noticed not one of us pushed our beliefs on the others. That is just one of the reasons I love these boards. We all learn so much about different ideas, beliefs, we share and we understand.

Thank you MMC!!!
caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), gabulldawg (12-16-2011), Meceka (12-16-2011), Mumof2 (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 06:15 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 18,957 Times in 3,064 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
That was so well said!!! I love how we have all expressed what we feel and if you noticed not one of us pushed our beliefs on the others. That is just one of the reasons I love these boards. We all learn so much about different ideas, beliefs, we share and we understand.

Thank you MMC!!!
I have to say I agree! and that is also very well said...

As for the poll,I voted for the 1st option. I don't pretend to know all there is to know about religion,but I was raised in church and try to get to mass and services as much as possible. I have been through different phases in my life...I think it is perfectly okay to have questions about faith during ones life. I would never force my opinion on anyone else either. I say live and let live as long as you are not hurting anyone including yourself!
Old 12-16-2011, 06:21 AM
Every time a bell rings..

Last Achievements

Thanked 1,291 Times in 608 Posts
rodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the treerodmonster you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by lauriebear View Post
I have read all the post up to Rod’s. And while they brought choking emotions to me, fire, sadness, anger, happiness, pride, compassion, yes all these rose up in me as I read. How simple it would be if we really could live in peace and harmony, like the old 70’s Coke commercials, I guess you younger ones won’t really know about it. You older ones like me you know… A bunch of young kids on a hill top singing… “I’d like to buy the world a home L
Ahhhh - yes.. the good ol days..... i watched the commercial just the other day on one of my old VHS blocks i watch during Christmas.... loved these as a kid...

As for Jeff...
Let folks discuss at will - but i would leave it.. its too political and too harmful i think.....
We have a wide array of folks here... Right Wingers like myself (that truly does LOVE everyone!)... to the much more liberal left side.... I don't want to have to go into a knock down drag out fight at MMC... its like the one safe haven i and many others have - where folks come together for one common passion...
Lets save the rest for Rush and Oprah....
And all try to have a Merry Christmas...
LOL - Now i feel like i am on Hill Street Blues sending us all out for the day...
"Hey, let's be careful out there"...
=)

Originally Posted by [B
Jeff Westover][/B]
So...what do you think? Should our sites be passing forward the coverage of all the PC arguments, the debates, etc that seem to be erupting in places like Washington DC, Texas and Arkansas this week?

Or should we just leave that buried in the media?

I've been torn on the issue because I don't think those stores are constructive or helping to solve anything.L
Old 12-16-2011, 06:31 AM
Christmas Deity

lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Rod.... Yes I know how you feel too and I love how you said Rush & Oprah... Yes I do agree with your statement that this for me too is a safe haven. I love coming here and reading all the posts, and the simple joy of knowing I am not alone in my love of Christmas… I do not wish to hurt anyone here, nor do I want my feelings hurt… Let’s leave it to the outside world and I will keep this my safe haven.

Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
Ahhhh - yes.. the good ol days..... i watched the commercial just the other day on one of my old VHS blocks i watch during Christmas.... loved these as a kid...

As for Jeff...
Let folks discuss at will - but i would leave it.. its too political and too harmful i think.....
We have a wide array of folks here... Right Wingers like myself (that truly does LOVE everyone!)... to the much more liberal left side.... I don't want to have to go into a knock down drag out fight at MMC... its like the one safe haven i and many others have - where folks come together for one common passion...
Lets save the rest for Rush and Oprah....
And all try to have a Merry Christmas...
LOL - Now i feel like i am on Hill Street Blues sending us all out for the day...
"Hey, let's be careful out there"...
=)

[/I]
caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), frostyman (12-16-2011), MrsH (12-16-2011), rodmonster (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 07:23 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,602 Times in 4,412 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by rodmonster View Post
This.
CJ498 (12-17-2011), rodmonster (12-19-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Had enough snow, thanks.
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,742 Times in 1,081 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
So...what do you think? Should our sites be passing forward the coverage of all the PC arguments, the debates, etc that seem to be erupting in places like Washington DC, Texas and Arkansas this week?

Or should we just leave that buried in the media?

I've been torn on the issue because I don't think those stores are constructive or helping to solve anything.
I think the balance you have right now is good. You report enough so that people are aware of what is going on, but not so much that people want to bang their head on the wall. Those that are into the political scene can then look up more information if they care to, and write to their representatives.

For myself, I am a practicing Christian, but I joined this site with the expectation that not every member would participate in my beliefs. I don't have a problem with discussing Christmas on a secular level, because that too is a valid part of Christmas. You don't have to be religious to celebrate Christmas and enjoy it, just as you don't have to be a Christian to put money in the Salvation Army buckets (or whatever Christmas time charity you like best). And hey, if you come here and talk about Christmas with us, you are likely to learn some valuable things about human nature. No matter what the media says, Christmas proves that human beings are capable of tremendous compassion and goodness, whether they are Christian or not.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), GingerMel (12-22-2011), made582 (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 11:25 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
You know, it's interesting to me looking back at how things have unfolded. Before we built these forums into the site I was posting controversial news of Christmas right here on MMC.

Back in 2002 or 2003 we realized what a hot topic is it was and set up DefendChristmas.com to archive the ongoing stories as they would roll out and we moved most of them over there.

When we built these forums we set it up so that headlines there would post here for discussion.

At the same time, readers at DefendChristmas.com can comment on any post they read. Out of all the sites we run, DefendChristmas.com gets the most comments.

And the comments we get there are fierce. Wihtout exception they are in-your-face. I can write sharply with the best of them and I'll sometimes get that way with that site because I have built a sense of what kind of response a certain type of story is going to get. Whether it is from a shake-the-fist-in-your-face pro-atheist or a hell-fire preaching religious nut I've had them all yell at me. On that site, I make no one happy because I don't beleive there is a war on Christmas and I've got issues with certain ways Christmas is handled in schools and I'd just prefer they'd stay away from it. That, for whatever reason, gets both sides mad at me and they give it to me on a regular basis. When I have to represent myself for that site on the radio I know it will ALWAYS result in contention with someone who has a bone to pick.

But what is curious to me is that most stories we import from DefendChristmas.com to MMC don't really get much attention here.

That's a credit I think to the positive nature of our little group here. I think folks come here to escape the negativity and cynicism of most the Internet and if we had such a negative influence here I'm sure you guys would be all over me to chase them out. That's just our culture on MMC.

Or so I think some want to think.....

That being said, my own observations about the tug of war at DefendChristmas.com -- and I still say that site is the most misunderstood of all the venues we operate because the media and others call us proponents of the War on Christmas which we certainly are NOT (can't they read?!!) -- is that people, regardless of what their "beliefs" are sure can't seem to get behind them without attacking someone else.

I don't care who it is. People stake their position by tearing down the other guy. Or, at a minimum, making others feel "less than" just because they haven't come to the same conclusion.

The focus then shifts -- from the reason behind an argument to the antagonism felt, conveyed or generated by an argument.

And that's where people get lost. When we're ticked or offended or otherwise put out we tend to lose all filters. We become more prideful in our own observations, less prone to be teachable or humble or just incapable of listening, sharing or exchanging.

At this time of the year I get hammered by people who are frustrated by our posting rules. We moderate posts from new members. All of you great regulars at MMC at one time had your new posts moderated too, if you recall. But people really resent that because they view the Internet and anywhere they go on it as a platform of "free speech".

Uh, I don't think so.

I'm not saying I won't let people speak their mind but I frankly just don't want trouble makers amongst us. I want folks to feel welcome but not at the expense of the peace.

But these are fine lines. When a "Christian" uses even a simple thread like this one to "share their testimony" do they really know what they are doing to others who don't see it that way or have had another experience?

This is a hard question for me to ask because I know I sometimes reference my own spirituality in my posts, blogs and articles on MMC.

And I usually know when I go too far because I will get PMs or emails calling me on it. I try to be sensitive to those things because it is in my makeup to be a peacemaker. It horrifies me to think I can offend someone. And yet I seem to do it with regularity.

I suppose that's only natural to an extent. I personally don't offend easily. But I have several close to me who wring their hands in angst over the actions or perceived thoughts of others. I don't get that, but I sure see it.

I beg of you folks, especially my well-meaning Christian friends, to carefully measure your words.

Being Christian and spreading the gospel isn't something that is ever going to be achieved through a bullhorn.

God's Spirit is a "still small voice" and that doesn't describe you or me. That's something entirely different. I beg that the shrill proclamations, some even in this thread, get toned down a lot.

"Peace on earth" means more than just the absence of total war.
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-16-2011), caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), GingerMel (12-22-2011), made582 (12-16-2011), Maureen (12-16-2011), Meceka (12-16-2011), MerryBells (12-16-2011), MrsH (12-16-2011), rodmonster (12-19-2011), Storeytime (08-07-2012), whitney37354 (12-16-2011), YellowSnow (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 12:00 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

YellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elfYellowSnow is a good elf
You are VERY perceptive Mr. Westover. That was a great post!
You really seem to understand what, at least some, folks feel when reading through various posts. I see truth in everthing you stated. I don't have anything to add right now, but your last post spoke volumes towards how I feel about things.

YS
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to YellowSnow For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), Maureen (12-16-2011), MrsH (12-16-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:18 PM
Christmas Deity

Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post

"Peace on earth" means more than just the absence of total war.
Oddly enough Jeff I posted about Peace On Earth in my blog today here.
CJ498 (12-17-2011)
Old 12-16-2011, 01:36 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,887 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by YellowSnow View Post
You are VERY perceptive Mr. Westover. That was a great post!
You really seem to understand what, at least some, folks feel when reading through various posts. I see truth in everthing you stated. I don't have anything to add right now, but your last post spoke volumes towards how I feel about things.

YS
Thank you. But to be honest I've been schooled -- and continue to be kindly educated -- by many folks who are so different than me that come to this site. And I'm not just talking about in a religious sense. As an American I have been humbled and frankly thrilled from what I've learned from folks about Christmas in other parts of the world.

The more I explore it the more I see that love, more than anything else, is really the overriding principle of Christmas. And that's a huge lesson for us, I think, as we consider our interactions with each here. Most, I think, are well intended. We're just human, that's all, and sometimes we forget.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-16-2011), CJ498 (12-17-2011), MrsH (12-16-2011)