Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How to handle Post-Christmas blues?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,094
Threads: 53,940
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,031)
Welcome to our newest member, RMcGuigan

Old 12-26-2011, 11:21 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,624 Times in 12,681 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I forgot to add that I buy Christmas novels, usually starting in October when they normally come out. I save them to read after Christmas. If I finish those, I go back to my stash and reread some.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,024 Times in 175 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
It helps that I go to a church that observes the liturgical season of Christmas, which ends on the 6th of January, and that the Christmas play is on the first Sunday after Epiphany! Other things I do--schedule lunches and other get-togethers with friends between Christmas Day and New Years; listen to my Christmas playlists at least until January 1st; save some Christmas books and stories to read the days after Christmas Day. (Sherlock Holmes' Christmas story, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, is a good one for that--it actually starts on the 27th!)

I've been trying for a few years to celebrate all the holidays and special days I can throughout the year. That actually seems to help the post Christmas Day blues. I'm already looking forward to New Year's Eve and Day, then Chinese New Year!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (12-26-2011), CJ498 (12-26-2011), shellie12 (12-26-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:15 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

B-Link has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by ReineV View Post
I know most of us in the US are still enjoying our Christmas celebrations, but, things are winding down at my house and the familiar feeling of sadness is starting to rear its ugly head.

Last night, while we were getting our sons gifts put out, my husband looked at me and said, "After tomorrow...it'll all be over for another year."

It broke my heart! Every year, after the presents are opened, dinner is consumed and everyone returns to their perspective homes, I feel saddened.

Of course, I keep Christmas in my heart all year, but I am sad that the country, as a whole, is done celebrating this joyous holiday. They stop running the Christmas commercials, stop playing Christmas music on the radio, and people stop being generally "Merry".

I really wish the US celebrated the 12 days of Christmas.

What are some of your tips to make it through the post Christmas blues? Mine typically lasts until either we have a snow day or my DHs birthday at the end of January.
Dear ReineV,

Commercial Christmas stops 25th of December.
Years ago, I have wrote some posts about Christmas blues and I had a problem like you.
I do not know, really do not know, why US stops celebration of Christmas on Christmas Day. The same is in my country, but it's not so radical like in US. This is some kind of paradox, in US Christmas season starts after halloween and I really do not see the reason why it should not be prolonged for 12 Days, as it should be. We have all the right of the world to celebrate it. So, as someone wrote it, just do it.

My way, of fight for this blues is:

1. I do not rely on tv or radio stations anymore, so I have blu-ray movies, CD's and enjoy whenever I want in music, movies... I make a list of movies that I didn't see on tv, and I watch it on blu-ray and listen to musicans that I didn't hear so often. i.e. Wille Nelson - Pretty paper

2. I have written some mail to my city authorities that the lights should stay up, min. till Epiphany, nowday they are light up till end of January. It's really not a problem if you explain to reasonable people.

3. Shops, TV commercials, etc... We can not affect on that, but they are just here for earnings, not for Christmas.

It's all about you, if you finish Christmas in your head, then it's over... And Christmas is in YOUR heart, not in the guy who is DJ on radio, or tv producer who chooses which movies will be aired...
We need to fight for 12 Days of Christmas, first in our head, then on the streets.
I will repeat, we have legit right to celebrate Christmas 12 Day, and the seasons have just started, so enjoy it, don't be blue

Make a cup of hot chocolate, or Christmas tee or better muled wine with cinnamon... Light up the tree and enjoy... Christmas is NOT OVER! Fight for it
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to B-Link For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-26-2011), Christmasstar (12-26-2011), CJ498 (12-26-2011), JOHNOR (12-27-2011), Maureen (12-26-2011), Seawaters (12-26-2011), shellie12 (12-26-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:24 PM

Last Achievements

Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
You have lots of valid points. I love the mulled wine suggestion!!!

Originally Posted by B-Link View Post
Dear ReineV,

Commercial Christmas stops 25th of December.
Years ago, I have wrote some posts about Christmas blues and I had a problem like you.
I do not know, really do not know, why US stops celebration of Christmas on Christmas Day. The same is in my country, but it's not so radical like in US. This is some kind of paradox, in US Christmas season starts after halloween and I really do not see the reason why it should not be prolonged for 12 Days, as it should be. We have all the right of the world to celebrate it. So, as someone wrote it, just do it.

My way, of fight for this blues is:

1. I do not rely on tv or radio stations anymore, so I have blu-ray movies, CD's and enjoy whenever I want in music, movies... I make a list of movies that I didn't see on tv, and I watch it on blu-ray and listen to musicans that I didn't hear so often. i.e. Wille Nelson - Pretty paper

2. I have written some mail to my city authorities that the lights should stay up, min. till Epiphany, nowday they are light up till end of January. It's really not a problem if you explain to reasonable people.

3. Shops, TV commercials, etc... We can not affect on that, but they are just here for earnings, not for Christmas.

It's all about you, if you finish Christmas in your head, then it's over... And Christmas is in YOUR heart, not in the guy who is DJ on radio, or tv producer who chooses which movies will be aired...
We need to fight for 12 Days of Christmas, first in our head, then on the streets.
I will repeat, we have legit right to celebrate Christmas 12 Day, and the seasons have just started, so enjoy it, don't be blue

Make a cup of hot chocolate, or Christmas tee or better muled wine with cinnamon... Light up the tree and enjoy... Christmas is NOT OVER! Fight for it
Old 12-26-2011, 01:26 PM

Last Achievements

Right now, I am taking a break to practice what I preach and look through my Christmas magazines for recipes for this-coming weekend.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:46 PM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Anne_Langston View Post
It helps that I go to a church that observes the liturgical season of Christmas, which ends on the 6th of January, and that the Christmas play is on the first Sunday after Epiphany! Other things I do--schedule lunches and other get-togethers with friends between Christmas Day and New Years; listen to my Christmas playlists at least until January 1st; save some Christmas books and stories to read the days after Christmas Day. (Sherlock Holmes' Christmas story, The Adventure of the Blue Carbuncle, is a good one for that--it actually starts on the 27th!)

I've been trying for a few years to celebrate all the holidays and special days I can throughout the year. That actually seems to help the post Christmas Day blues. I'm already looking forward to New Year's Eve and Day, then Chinese New Year!
Why not much longer? What stops you?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to B-Link For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-26-2011), Christmasstar (12-26-2011), CJ498 (12-26-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-26-2011, 01:48 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,483 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
It always astonishes and saddens me when I read of people taking down their trees and decorations, sometimes as soon as today. If not today, certainly before New Year.

All my life - both here and in Canada - Christmas has stayed until 12th Night (January 5th or 6th, depending on your viewpoint; we do January 5th) and it gives you a chance to get used to the idea!!

That said, we generally put everything up later than you do, so I guess it sort of balances out........sort of!!!

Because it's already done in so many other countries, just say you've decided to join the international jetset and observe their customs of Christmas!!!!!!!!

Old 12-26-2011, 01:58 PM
Last Achievements

Is there any forum group, "We, who celbrate 12 Days of Christmas" or something like that?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to B-Link For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-26-2011), Christmasstar (12-26-2011), CJ498 (12-26-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), shellie12 (12-26-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-26-2011, 02:03 PM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,483 Times in 1,761 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
No, there isn't!!!

You could always start one
Old 12-26-2011, 02:24 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,024 Times in 175 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Originally Posted by B-Link View Post
Why not much longer? What stops you?
Nothing, really! Even when I do start listening to other music before January 6th, I always listen to Christmas music while taking down my decorations after Epiphany. Also, I have a special New Years Eve mix I listen to on December 31st and January 1st, and sometimes after that....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (12-26-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), shellie12 (12-26-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)