Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » How to handle Post-Christmas blues?

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,553)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Defined
By MMC Editor
05-01-2002 10:19 PM
Last post by JeanetteDi
09-20-2011 08:20 AM
59,096 Views  1 Posts
Christmas Stockings
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:15 PM
52,057 Views  0 Posts
Santa in My Backyard
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:32 PM
43,723 Views  0 Posts
“The Great Adventure of...
By MerryCarey
05-17-2012 11:16 AM
30,964 Views  0 Posts
santahat Remember when Black...
By MMC Editor
11-12-2013 12:55 AM
Last post by thechristmasmusicman
01-27-2014 10:42 AM
18,394 Views  4 Posts

Old 12-26-2011, 03:23 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,362 Times in 9,026 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
You CAN!!! In the words of Nike, "Just Do It!" Even better if you start a new tradition of celebrating the 12 Days of Christmas that go through January 6th.
I know I can celebrate a 2nd day of it and the 12 Days of Christmas but I would probably be alone! Lol! I guess what I mean is a 2nd day that the whole family actually have the day off and it's observed in the work place to get that day off for that reason. For most people it's "business as usual" and that stinks!

Since I have joined these forums I keep on going in the Christmas spirit but it will never be exactly the same as before the 25th when the people around you join in with you! =) Most people are not quite as passionate as we are here at MMC about Christmas.

All in all I feel pretty darn good today! Wayne usually don't have the 26th off but this year he does, we went running around and I was so happy to hear Christmas music playing everywhere we went! The radio station still has music going too. I actually still have the Christmas spirit.

The only thing that is missing is that I wish the rest of my family could join me here at home for a celebration but it's back to work for most.

I do agree with you, let's start a campaign to get more days off from work so families can keep celebrating Christmas together! Just do it!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (12-26-2011), frostyman (12-27-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), Snow-in-Texas (12-26-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-26-2011, 05:06 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

EdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elfEdNog is a good elf
All great replies, reflecting different feelings and coping strategies.

I have none of the remedies.
I have terrible "post-Christmas Blues". All I can say is that one always gets through them and gets back on track....and if you are a member of this site, it will get you back on track quicker that anything else!
My very best wishes for a Happy New Year!
EdNog.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to EdNog For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-26-2011), caninemom3 (12-26-2011), CJ498 (01-03-2012), frostyman (12-27-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 07:54 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,555 Times in 3,707 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
And... not to toot my own horn or anything... Christmas comics are good ANYTIME of the year..! In fact, my Cool Yule motto is "Why CAN'T everyday be Christmas?!"

Go here for a quick sampling...

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/index.php?pageid=comics
Christmas-A-Holic (12-27-2011), CJ498 (01-03-2012), EdNog (12-28-2011), frostyman (12-27-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:24 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
And... not to toot my own horn or anything... Christmas comics are good ANYTIME of the year..! In fact, my Cool Yule motto is "Why CAN'T everyday be Christmas?!"

Go here for a quick sampling...

http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/index.php?pageid=comics
Go ahead and toot your own horn! We own a few of your comics and they are greeeeeeeeat!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (01-03-2012), George Broderick, Jr. (12-28-2011), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:34 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Blues? What blues? Here amongst like minded friends, I wallow in the Reds & Greens all year!

On the ol’ Yule-O-Meter of Glad Tidings & Joy seldom do I fall below a level seven Jolly Units. I do admit an elevation and spike during the time the rest of the world catches up to our year-round Christmas Spirit. However, when the rest un-Yule, the celebration continues on the Merry Network.

The trick is to never stray far from here!
Anne_Langston (12-27-2011), Bullypup (01-04-2012), CJ498 (01-03-2012), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 08:47 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I see what you mean. I am a teacher, so we get off until January 2012; so it's easy for me to continue to celebrate. Maybe you could really make a big deal of New Year's Eve, which so many get off work. Hubby and I are going to celebrate here at home. In the past, the kids and I did it as a family with LOTS of goodies and fun. Next year, I'll be retired, so it will be easy for me to continue to celebrate.

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
I know I can celebrate a 2nd day of it and the 12 Days of Christmas but I would probably be alone! Lol! I guess what I mean is a 2nd day that the whole family actually have the day off and it's observed in the work place to get that day off for that reason. For most people it's "business as usual" and that stinks!

Since I have joined these forums I keep on going in the Christmas spirit but it will never be exactly the same as before the 25th when the people around you join in with you! =) Most people are not quite as passionate as we are here at MMC about Christmas.

All in all I feel pretty darn good today! Wayne usually don't have the 26th off but this year he does, we went running around and I was so happy to hear Christmas music playing everywhere we went! The radio station still has music going too. I actually still have the Christmas spirit.

The only thing that is missing is that I wish the rest of my family could join me here at home for a celebration but it's back to work for most.

I do agree with you, let's start a campaign to get more days off from work so families can keep celebrating Christmas together! Just do it!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Seawaters View Post
I see what you mean. I am a teacher, so we get off until January 2012; so it's easy for me to continue to celebrate. Maybe you could really make a big deal of New Year's Eve, which so many get off work. Hubby and I are going to celebrate here at home. In the past, the kids and I did it as a family with LOTS of goodies and fun. Next year, I'll be retired, so it will be easy for me to continue to celebrate.
I try hard to make a big deal out of New Years but have a hard time getting anyone on board! But guess what??? Last year I asked my mom and dad to come over for an early celebration, (my dad likes to be in bed no later than 8 pm!). My dad kinda said, "well, I will see". I said, "I am not letting you think about this, you ARE coming over"! I told him we will get together for games around 5 and you can stay for a couple of hours. He laughed and agreed. We have a great time! I told him again this year it's on again and he WILL be here! I don't usually make it until midnight either so the early celebration does fine for me.

I manage to get my daughter, son-in-law and grandkids over briefly for an early countdown since I know the kids will be in bed way before midnight. That is fun! My daughter usually has a few of their friends at their house so they don't stay at my house long. I can understand that, she is young and they want to stay up past midnight and hang out with people their age listening to their music! =)

I am taking your advice and going to convince more family to come over this New Years Eve, not just my mom and dad. I will let you know how that goes! =)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (12-27-2011), CJ498 (01-03-2012), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
Had enough snow, thanks.
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,742 Times in 1,081 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
Originally Posted by Maureen View Post
It always astonishes and saddens me when I read of people taking down their trees and decorations, sometimes as soon as today. If not today, certainly before New Year.

All my life - both here and in Canada - Christmas has stayed until 12th Night (January 5th or 6th, depending on your viewpoint; we do January 5th) and it gives you a chance to get used to the idea!!

That said, we generally put everything up later than you do, so I guess it sort of balances out........sort of!!!

Because it's already done in so many other countries, just say you've decided to join the international jetset and observe their customs of Christmas!!!!!!!!

I just found out a few days ago that the early Catholic Church celebrated
Christmas all the way up until Candlemas (the Purification of Mary in the Temple), which is February 2nd. We are seriously considering extending our celebrations to the same date. It would be great for my family, because we are never in a hurry to take our decorations down.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (01-03-2012), made582 (01-01-2012), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 11:23 AM
Had enough snow, thanks.
Last Achievements

Thanked 4,742 Times in 1,081 Posts
MerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to othersMerryBells is a gift to others
I forgot to add in my previous post that I think it's natural to be a little bit blue because your favorite holiday is over for another year. A lot of our patients are blue after Christmas, but the ones that find activities to occupy them get over it quickly.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryBells For This Useful Post:
CJ498 (01-03-2012), Seawaters (12-27-2011), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 12-27-2011, 12:01 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 72,341 Times in 12,630 Posts
Seawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintSeawaters leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Do you know the story of "The 12 Days of Christmas"???

Originally Posted by MerryBells View Post
I just found out a few days ago that the early Catholic Church celebrated
Christmas all the way up until Candlemas (the Purification of Mary in the Temple), which is February 2nd. We are seriously considering extending our celebrations to the same date. It would be great for my family, because we are never in a hurry to take our decorations down.