Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Holidays Year Round » Lucky Foods for New Years

Holidays Year Round All other major holidays are discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,975
Threads: 53,446
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Angelfrog
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Jimmy Scarecrow's...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:57 PM
66,882 Views  0 Posts
The Twelve Days of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:06 PM
48,618 Views  0 Posts
Christmastide (A German...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:58 PM
0 Posts
Christmas Crackers
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:31 PM
56,556 Views  0 Posts
The Year the Reindeer...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 08:17 PM
64,091 Views  0 Posts

Old 12-29-2011, 07:33 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,494 Times in 9,045 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Lucky Foods for New Years

Here in the southern USA it is considered lucky to eat black eyed peas on New Years Day. I have had friends from the north who never heard of this when they moved to Texas. It seems that most people from the Southern States know the tradition.

Here is the story behind why we consider it's lucky:

In the Southern United States, it's traditional to eat black-eyed peas or cowpeas in a dish called hoppin' john. There are even those who believe in eating one pea for every day in the new year. This all traces back to the legend that during the Civil War, the town of Vicksburg, Mississippi, ran out of food while under attack. The residents fortunately discovered black-eyed peas and the legume was thereafter considered lucky. (there might be other stories about this tradition but this is the one I was brought up on)

I wanted to know what foods were considered lucky to eat where you are from? I would like to know why it's lucky (if you know).

If you could please tell us where you are from when you list your lucky food. I would like to serve some of these foods on New Years along with what country the tradition is from and the story behind it.

I have already googled Lucky Foods for the New Year but I wanted to hear personal stories from people on the forums of their personal traditions.

We never go a year without eating black eyed peas. For the young ones in the family who don't like them, they at least eat 1 pea! =)

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

Old 12-29-2011, 11:27 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,034 Times in 2,879 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Over in in ireland i do posk well it tastes good the oder folk say it will bring you good luck if eaten on New Year's Day, The reason is that pigs are forward-thinking creatures—all four hooves point forward and they root forward
And cabbage to
Christmas-A-Holic (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 12:22 PM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,568 Times in 1,458 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Cabbage Rolls
1 large heads cabbage, tough outer leaves or any discolored outer leaves removed, cored
1 pounds lean ground beef
½ pound ground lamb
1 pound ground pork
1 pound kielbasa
1 cup brown rice, cooked
1 tablespoon paprika
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon salt
2 -8oz bags of good quality sauerkraut
1 -14.5 oz can, of whole peeled plum tomatoes

Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the head of cabbage and simmer until a few outer leaves easily pull away from the head. Remove softened leaves from the first head of cabbage. You may need to keep placing the cabbage back in the water to soften the whole head. Once complete set aside.

Place beef, lamb, pork and rice in a very large bowl. Sprinkle with the paprika, pepper, salt and combine (use your hands).

Get ready to assemble the rolls. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a large Dutch oven or roasting pan. Pour one of the bags of sauerkraut on the bottom and spread over pan. Cut up kielbasa line sides of pan.

Lay one leaf of cabbage on a cutting board or dinner plate. Pinch off a small amount, about 1 ½-2 tablespoons, of the filling mixture and place on the spine end of the cabbage leaf. Roll up a little, and then fold in an inch or so of the right side of the cabbage leaf (like you would when rolling a burrito) and roll up completely. Use your pointer finger to stuff the cabbage on the un-folded side and place atop the sauerkraut in one of the pans. Repeat until all filling is used and both pans are full. Pour remaining bag of sauerkraut over the top of the rolls and pour the can of tomatoes over the rolls. Cover and bake for 1 ½ . Test for doneness by removing one of the rolls from a casserole and cutting into the center. The meat will be cooked through.

Makes about 1 ½ dozen cabbage rolls or 5-8 servings.

Now this was made by a neighbor of ours she was Hungarian, and these tase SO good!!! It wouldn't be New Years Day without them!!! She would tell us it was good luck to start your New Year!!!
Christmas-A-Holic (12-29-2011), shellie12 (12-29-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:38 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,375 Times in 26,564 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I'm just going to copy Jennifer91's post from the countdown since that's what we have.

Originally Posted by jennifer91 View Post
I live in Pittsburgh, PA and I have always grown up eating pork and sauerkraut for my dinner on New Years Day. My grandma always said that it was what she ate on New Years Day growing up, so she continued the tradition with her family. My mom now does it and I can't imagine having a New Years without it! Eating this meal is supposed to bring you good luck for the upcoming year.

A lot of people hate sauerkraut because it is so bitter. The trick (if anyone wants to try it) is to dump the sauerkraut out of the can/bag into a strainer, rinse it with cold water, shake that out, rinse it again a few more times. That takes the horrible bitterness out of it and it actually tastes really good.

We usually cook it on the stove with the pork and also some hot dogs, but a crock pot works really well, too!

I think this originated from the Pennsylvania Dutch.

Edit -- Here is what the PA Dutch supposedly thought about it - "Pennsylvania Dutch superstition says that eating pork brings good luck because a pig roots forward to look for its food, while chickens scratch backward and cows stand still."

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (12-29-2011), lauriebear (12-30-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 03:57 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by made582 View Post
I'm just going to copy Jennifer91's post from the countdown since that's what we have.
Why didn't I think of that since she can't post here?! Good idea!

I am so lacking sleep this week. =(

Thanks Made!

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (12-30-2011)
Old 12-29-2011, 04:23 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Taken from the countdown:
Originally Posted by Anne_Langston View Post
African American families do the black eyed peas thing too, but also collards or cabbage (symbolizing money in the New Year). My late FIL used to make head cheese for New Years and give it away for luck. I don't know the tradition behind that one though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (12-30-2011), lauriebear (12-30-2011)