Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » The Future of Incandescent Christmas Lights

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat Remember when Black...
By MMC Editor
11-12-2013 12:55 AM
Last post by thechristmasmusicman
01-27-2014 10:42 AM
18,441 Views  4 Posts
How Santa Does It
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:19 PM
46,427 Views  0 Posts
"Lill's Travels in Santa...
By MerryCarey
10-26-2011 08:48 AM
59,482 Views  0 Posts
The Story of Black Peter
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:49 PM
Last post by Angioni
09-16-2012 09:19 AM
1 Posts
The Snow Maiden
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:51 PM
62,675 Views  0 Posts

Old 01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I'll give up my incandescent christmas light strand when they pry my cold lifeless fingers from around the burned out bulb by the electrical outlet next to the dog's water dish!
GingerMel (01-04-2012), lauriebear (01-03-2012), made582 (01-03-2012), MerryBells (01-04-2012), xmastidings (01-06-2012)
Old 01-03-2012, 08:40 PM
Christmasologist

Last Achievements

Storeytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoeStoreytime would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I've been hearing my suppliers talk about the phase out so much that some of my electricians have told customers about changing over to LED or Fluorescent lighting due to future phase out. (Talking about general lighting and Christmas lighting customers)

I'm afraid I'm guilty of the old saying, "If you say something long enough, it becomes a fact."

I thought I better start getting some actual facts on it since I'm in the electrical business and Christmas lighting business. I found this tonight:
http://www.green-buildings.com/conte...ut-be-repealed

"California, one of the most progressive states when it comes to energy efficiency, has a phase-out scheduled for 2018.

As for federal legislation, back in 2007 the Energy Independence and Security Act (P.L. 110-140, H.R. 6) was enacted. The full text of the bill and the two-page summary are available online. The highlights of key provisions are corporate average fuel economy, renewable fuels standard, energy efficiency equipment standards (this is our topic) and repeal of oil and gas tax incentives.

This adopted bill includes a variety of new standards for lighting and residential and commercial appliance equipment (refrigerators, freezers and the like). So, H.R. 6 requires that energy efficiency standards of light bulbs be increased by 30% and effectively phases out most common types of incandescent light bulbs by 2012-2014.

Come January of 2012, 100 W incandescent light bulbs will be off the market. From there it will stage down until we get to 40 W bulbs in 2014. Anything less than that is exempt (and there are several other exemptions). That's the short and simplified version."

I'll do some more research and get back to this thread.

My opinion: We are definitely heading toward LED as far as Christmas decorating goes. I'm part of several outdoor decorating groups that do the animated displays. All of them are going to LED. But, for us, there's a good reason to do so. We like to have bragging rights on who can put up the most lights. LED's allow us to put up thousands of lights with much lower energy usage. I don't care so much about the electric bill, I've always had a very high bill for December. But, we start running out of available amperage in our electrical panels. LED's allow us to plug more lights in end to end and saves on hundreds of feet in cords.

I still like the old fashioned look of incandescents, though. So, it's a tough one for me. As of this year, I'm about 99% incandescent on my display. But, I'm really looking at going more LED as I can afford to just so I can get more lighting for less amperage.

General lighting - I hate the curly Q fluorescent light bulbs with a passion. The light is harsh. I have proven time and time again that I can get longer bulb life and lower energy costs by using regular incandescent bulbs on a dimmer switch. I have dimmer switches throughout my house. You can get whatever level of light you want with this method, better ambience lighting, lower energy costs, and longer bulb life than just screwing in a curly Q fluoresecent light bulb. Ex: I have (2) 90W incandescent floodlight bulbs in my hall that burn all night every night. They are on a dimmer and ususally are only on at about 40% or so. They are going on 4 years now without a burnout.
'Tis the season (01-09-2012), lauriebear (01-03-2012), made582 (01-03-2012)
Old 01-04-2012, 10:42 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger

Misfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry dispositionMisfit Toy has shown a merry disposition
I purchased the Martha Stewart true LED clear lights this year from Home Depot, that look exactly like the traditional mini lights and I can't even tell the difference. I love them!

However, maybe with the colored strands you can. I didnt get to see those.

Old 01-04-2012, 02:08 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,212 Times in 483 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
If I have to give up my jewel colored C7s heads will roll. hah hah.

Just kidding.

But yeah...I am not ready for LEDs. I look at them every year and while they have gotten better, they're just not quite there yet, IMO.

I am curious about these Martha Stewart lights though!
Old 01-07-2012, 04:11 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

jiminmanjr has shown a merry disposition
I'm very, very glad to hear all this new... I appreciate everyone giving some insight into the issue!

Thank you!!
Old 01-07-2012, 10:18 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,466 Times in 1,960 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
I'll give up my incandescent christmas light strand when they pry my cold lifeless fingers from around the burned out bulb by the electrical outlet next to the dog's water dish!
That was Great!!!