Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Black and White Cookies in Germany

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,099
Threads: 53,996
Top Poster: xmas365 (166,616)
Welcome to our newest member, CWilde

Old 01-13-2012, 05:28 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,851 Times in 3,810 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Black and White Cookies in Germany

Hi everybody....did You know that the Black and White cookie is also a beloved sweet food in Germany? It has an interessting name where nobody knows why it is called like this

We call them Amerikaner....which means Amerian...or Americans...now there are four-five possible versions on why call them Amerikaner

Number one......the name is coming from an incrediency that i in the cake... Ammoniumhydrogencarbonat......since I dont think it has any sound of Amerikaner...I dont think that is the reason....the other ons make much more sense

Number Two....After World War II, US G.I. s that were sttioned in Germany were trying to find incredients for a US cake but were not successfull....so they created this and thus we call it Amerikaner.......which I also dont believe because I think this certain type of cake or cookie has surely existed before world War II

Number III........the Black and White cookies came over to Germany in the 50s...and because it was so hard for the Germans to pronounce that name....we/they just called it Amerikaner....because the Americans brought it here

Number IV.....they named it Amerikaner because it reminded the people of the Brodie Helmet the Americans wore during world war I

Nothing that makes the world go round, but I found it interessting so I shared it........They have not verified any reason for the root of the name, but have seen the Amerikaner mentioned in written proof before World War II.....so reason number 3 is probably not right and number 2, too.....so it is either 1 or 2.

good night my friends

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-13-2012), Christmasstar (01-14-2012), GingerMel (01-18-2012), Head Elf (01-16-2012), made582 (01-15-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)

Old 01-13-2012, 06:40 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 52,993 Times in 9,612 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Interesting! Thanks for sharing!

By the way, can you pass me one of those cookies???

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (01-14-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
i would, but i just ate it all up now........

now that i know that u guys gots them cookies in the states....they also taste like american cakes.....the cakes you guys have are much much sweeter than ours...and when i ate it yesterday...it reminded me of cakes i ate in the states and with us friends over here in germany....yummy

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (01-14-2012), Christmasstar (01-14-2012), made582 (01-15-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-14-2012, 07:48 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 80,676 Times in 13,349 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thank you, I always enjoy learning new things! Do you have a recipe for these?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:59 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

unfortunately i dont have a recipe....best type in black and white recipe or Amerikaner recipe....i am sure there are a thousand

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (01-14-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-15-2012, 03:09 AM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Seinfeld knows about the Black and White cookie...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR9wi3q6d8o

Supposedly it orinated in upstate New York possibly stemming from the Half-Moon cookie.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (01-18-2012), snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-15-2012, 02:25 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class

Last Achievements

sdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elfsdkluger is a good elf
They look like what I call Half-moon cookies, aka Chocolate Jumbo Cookies. My grandmother makes them. They are my favorite cookie. I love the mixture of the chocolate, molasses, and clove flavors. We made some before Christmas and will be making some more later this week.

"In all this world there is nothing so beautiful as a happy child." - Santa Claus, The Life and Adventures of Santa Claus
The Following User Says Thank You to sdkluger For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,243 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Clove? Interesting!
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:37 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,870 Times in 2,195 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Man after looking at the picture, I really want to try one of those... Does anyone out there have a recipe that they can share? It sure looks good!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)
Old 01-18-2012, 06:52 PM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,430 Times in 817 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Xmastidings - I don't have a recipe, but I found one for you.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/black-and-white-cookies-i/

Enjoy!

The Following User Says Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-09-2014)