Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Homey high-rise holiday?

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas in Europe
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:21 PM
0 Posts
Bells Joseph, Mary and Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:52 PM
63,640 Views  0 Posts
What do elves get paid?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:58 PM
48,766 Views  0 Posts
The Legends of Nature at...
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:54 PM
46,245 Views  0 Posts
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts

Old 05-19-2012, 04:34 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Christmas Tree Homey high-rise holiday?

I recently moved into a 22 story high rise which I love but it's not exactly the country house I grew up in. I want the holidays to have a down home traditional feel. I'm looking around my condo puzzled as to how I achieve that. Any tips on how to make an urban space feel more warm and inviting? Also, is it corny to decorate my balcony?
The Following User Says Thank You to Lacim84 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 05:35 PM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,240 Times in 12,639 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I guess it would depend on how big your condo is.

Use lots of lights, put them around the windows and doors.
Get a 1/2 tree that can be put right up against the wall is space is limited.
Put your regular nic-nacks away and replace them with all Christmas themed items.

check out other areas of these forums, lots of great ideas here

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2012), Solice (05-20-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 06:21 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Before we bought our first house, we had a teeny apartment! We had to get a tabletop tree because it was so small. We strung lights EVERYWHERE, decorated the door with a wreath and garland, hung things on closet and walls.. it was cozy, tiny, and sooo warm and inviting! Lights, music, and some greens go a long way! And heck yes, decorate the balcony! There are apartments near our house with balconies and I looove driving past at night during Christmastime because there are tons of folks who light them up and put out trees. Love it!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-20-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014), Solice (05-20-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 03:10 AM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,111 Times in 3,695 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
hey there.......the inside of the house is usually easy to make look cosy...just do it as u do in any other place......of course the outside decoration is limited....but over here in Germany....where many people live in those higher houses.....usually not 22stories high, but still............Balconys are decorated a lot....as well as the windows...it can be donce very, very nicely

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-20-2012), snowflake22 (02-01-2014)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:44 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
Thanks! The condo is 1200 square feet, much smaller than I'm accustomed but at least my tree will still fit! I guess I was a bit puzzled by the fact it's very modern and I've always been a bit on the traditional side. So, I pulled out some hoilday decor that I already have and using the space as a very blank background and tweeking a few things here and there, I think my stuff will blend nicely. Thanks for your imput. I'm definantly putting lights everywhere! It's my daughter's first Christmas and I want it to be awesome! And my balcony will be seen from outer space! Haha!
The Following User Says Thank You to Lacim84 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-20-2012, 06:54 PM
*<[:{) Ho ho ho!!!

Last Achievements

Thanked 70,394 Times in 14,010 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
As everyone has said, decorate everywhere you can, my wife and had a 2nd floor apartment with a balcony, we strung lights and garland around every door and window in the apartment, bought those little 3 legged tables to have an extra Christmas tree, put candles in every window and the balcony we changed every year. We always had a lit wreath on the door, icicle lights around the top of the balcony one year, c-9 with icicles one year (that was expensive electric bill wise) and a 6ft tall tree all lit up one year. A lot of those traditions we still do now in our house.
Old 05-20-2012, 07:11 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,509 Times in 26,591 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Everyone has given great suggestions so far. My suggestion is to keep the color scheme traditional. Use red, gold, and greens. That should give it a more traditional feel instead of being to modern.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
judesmama (05-21-2012), Lacim84 (05-21-2012), snowflake22 (05-24-2012), whitney37354 (05-21-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 01:12 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,164 Times in 409 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
We spent our first Christmas in an apartment this year and made it feel pretty cozy. Try to bring in some older items you used to decorate with, that helps a lot. Try starting a new tradition you can add onto easily and that will make it your own before long. Just go nuts on the outside, it is your little space so make it shine!
Lacim84 (05-21-2012), snowflake22 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 07:50 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,358 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Lacim84 View Post
Thanks! The condo is 1200 square feet, much smaller than I'm accustomed but at least my tree will still fit! I guess I was a bit puzzled by the fact it's very modern and I've always been a bit on the traditional side. So, I pulled out some hoilday decor that I already have and using the space as a very blank background and tweeking a few things here and there, I think my stuff will blend nicely. Thanks for your imput. I'm definantly putting lights everywhere! It's my daughter's first Christmas and I want it to be awesome! And my balcony will be seen from outer space! Haha!
For a "less modern" feel, you could prominently use some vintage items, if you have them or can find them, or use a few country-themed or "distressed" decorations. made582's suggestion to emphasize red, green, and gold sounds great, too. Please post photos later on when you're decorated, so we can see what you came up with!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Lacim84 (05-21-2012), snowflake22 (05-24-2012), xmastidings (05-22-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 10:33 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,487 Times in 1,965 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
When my wife and I first got married, we really wanted some kind of a traditional old-time home feeling (which is hard to do in an apartment), so one day when she was at work, I slipped out to the hardware store and bought an electric fireplace (it made a noise like crackling wood and had a light inside that resembled a burning flame) and set it up and then hung our stockings on it.
In between our Christmas stockings was a little red bootie I hung up, for you see, we had just found out that we were going to be parents for the first time.... When she came home from work, it was all set up there waiting for her...She told me later that that was one of the happiest moments of her life...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Lacim84 (05-21-2012), snowflake22 (05-24-2012), whitney37354 (05-21-2012)