Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Hands-On > Christmas Shopping » Budgeting for Christmas

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Shopping Real Christmas Real Christmas brings you this merry topic area. From Black Friday to Cyber Monday, shopping for Christmas is as fun and challenging as ever. This forum discusses the art of Christmas Shopping. Please note our Forum Rules in regards to links posted in this forum.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,090
Threads: 53,930
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,812)
Welcome to our newest member, flockman02

Old 06-17-2012, 07:00 PM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,151 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Gift 4 Budgeting for Christmas

Hey all,Today I was thinking about gifts & how much I might think each person should be allowed this year.How much should I allow for food,Decorations,giftwrapping etc..
So I was curious to see how my pals here on MMC do it.Do you pool your money together with friends and/or family?

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), merrymistletoe (06-18-2012), momnan30 (06-18-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)

Old 06-18-2012, 12:27 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

Lacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elfLacim84 is a good elf
We don't have a set amount that we stick with but I try to budget as much as possible. For example this past Christmas my husband and I decided we wouldn't buy gifts for eachother (it helped that we didn't want anything), we would just focus on the kid's presents (our two kids, plus our two nephews). I go all out of food and baking though. And I usually set a "decoration fund" limit. I would rather buy new decor than to receive a gift anyway though. And I start buying early in the year so when the time comes I'm not breaking the bank! In our circle of friends and family we don't exchange gifts with the adults, everyone just buys gifts for the kids. It helps all of us to stay within a reasonable budget.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:55 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
i have 3 kids, my boys are 20 & 22 so we don't spend as much on them as we do our daughter who's 16. don't get me wrong, they all still get quite a bit. i have 2 godchildren, 2 nieces, & 2 nephews that we buy for, my parents, & my b-i-l since he's single. that's it, all the rest of us just enjoy hanging out together, food, Christmas music, food, baking, & did i mention food?

my decor is gonna require some updating this year. i've not bought much in the passed 2-3 years.

the baking & food, we do divide & conquer. i work & it's just too hard to do all by myself.

not sure if i helped any......
Old 06-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,956 Times in 927 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Oh boy, that's a tough question, LOL! I always say I'm going to try to set some limits and then the season rolls around and I get all giddy and well the next thing you know, it's off to the races! Now, that said, I don't carry credit card debt, nor would I to have a beautiful Christmas. But, there are certain food items that I will never sacrifice for price to hold our traditions and I would always be certain to get each of our kids at least one item that is a winner even if it stretches us a bit. Hubs and I restrict our own gifts to each other as you do as we would rather spoil the rest of our family. If money is tight, I found that giving pretty homemade cookie mixes in mason jars were a welcome choice for sisters, cousins, friends, etc.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), merrymistletoe (06-19-2012), Mumof2 (06-19-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 08:08 AM
One Happy lil Elf
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,151 Times in 816 Posts
Mumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happyMumof2 makes Santa very happy
Thing is we've never really set a price on how much to spend on everything.Never really thought about it until we had kids.I dont have a huge list like we used too!
But I was thinking about how much we spend on each person every year,I see something they like and I've always bought it for them.Some years I'd say $1500.00 but when we were single,It was easily double that because I have a large family,I'm the youngest of 8,have 4 SIL-1 BIL 20 Nieces/Nephews just on my side.we'd buy everyone something.

Pray for Peace People Everywhere!
Victoria
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mumof2 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), merrymistletoe (06-19-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Well we already have about 20% of our Christmas Shopping done already .. clearance sales help the budget out a lot! We try to put $50 to $100 away every month for Christmas.

I also start watching the grocery store sales starting in Oct for sales on baking items and stock up when they go on sale. That helps out alot with the holiday baking. We also cut back on the holiday baking and just focus on our families favorites.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), christmas_nut_k_1209 (07-18-2012), merrymistletoe (06-19-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 05:03 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 161,146 Times in 30,622 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I usually budget $300 for gifts. That equals $50 dollars a person. I almost always go over that though. I usually end up closer to $100 a piece on my niece's and nephew. I try to stock up on baking supplies all year. So I don't really budget for them. I buy most of my decorations and gift wrapping the day after christmas so my budget for them just depends on how much money I have leftover.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), merrymistletoe (06-19-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-19-2012, 06:53 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 12,459 Times in 1,595 Posts
merrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemenmerrymistletoe could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Minta View Post
Well we already have about 20% of our Christmas Shopping done already .. clearance sales help the budget out a lot! We try to put $50 to $100 away every month for Christmas.

I also start watching the grocery store sales starting in Oct for sales on baking items and stock up when they go on sale. That helps out alot with the holiday baking. We also cut back on the holiday baking and just focus on our families favorites.
ya' know, i say every year i'm gonna put $ away every month for Christmas but i never do. must do this, must do this, must do this!!!!!
Old 06-19-2012, 07:09 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 12,825 Times in 2,184 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
I don't know if this helps or not, I started a Christmas Club about 10 years ago, and it was the best thing I ever did. I have money direct deposited into that account every paycheck and around the begining of October, the bank sends me a check for around $4000.00. I in turn, hand it over to my personel bank teller (my wife). I cannot exactly say how much we spend on Christmas, because we spread out that saved amount over the course of the next several months due to that we have Halloween, alot of November Birthdays, and then there is Thanksgivng in the mix as well.

And that covers a large extended family with alot of nieces and nephews, grandparents, In-laws,etc....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), Cinder (10-23-2012), merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), mike24forever (07-06-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)
Old 06-20-2012, 07:12 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,510 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by merrymistletoe View Post
ya' know, i say every year i'm gonna put $ away every month for Christmas but i never do. must do this, must do this, must do this!!!!!
Does your bank have a christmas club with direct deposit?

Putting aside money each month is a must for us.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (06-20-2012), merrymistletoe (06-22-2012), Solice (06-24-2012)