Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Illinois School District Nixes Christmas and Jello

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,846
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 10-14-2007, 07:02 AM
Merry Forums Newbie

Snowflake the Elf has shown a merry disposition
Yes it Does

First off it is a fact that Christians, Jews, and Muslims all believe in the same God. What separates them are their belief in Jesus and/or Muhammad. Matter of fact Jesus is one of the most quoted People in the Koran. When they say in "In God We Trust" they are not being specific. It is God in general. I better stop now or I get on a religious tirade.
On the contrary How 'In God We Trust" found its way to dollar bills
The history of the "In God We Trust" motto dates back to the Civil War era, a time of increased religious sentiment. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received numerous letters urging the United States to recognize the Deity on U.S. coins. The first letter came on November 13, 1861, from the Rev. M. R. Watkinson, minister of the gospel from Ridleyville, Pa.
Watkinson offered an idea to include the words "God," "liberty" and "law" on coins and said, "This would make a beautiful coin, to which no possible citizen could object."
A week later, Chase instructed the Director of the Mint at Philadelphia to prepare a motto. His letter read, "No nation can be strong except in the strength of God, or safe except in His defense. The trust of our people in God Jesus Christ should be declared on our national coins."
Later that year, the director of the mint recommended designs that read, "Our Country, Our God" and "God, Our Trust." Chase changed the phrase to the now common "In God We Trust," which began appearing on coins in 1864.
Almost a century later, during the height of the Cold War with the officially atheist Soviet Union, the 84th Congress passed a joint resolution declaring "In God We Trust" the national motto of the U.S. A year later, on October 1, 1957, the phrase appeared on paper currency for the first time.

Old 10-14-2007, 02:44 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

snowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elfsnowangel_x3 is a good elf
That's ridiculous.
If it's so offending then just don't participate in the event!

I'm glad I don't live in Oak Lawn.
Old 10-15-2007, 01:07 PM
Santa's Doppelganger
Last Achievements

Billy Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoeBilly Battles would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by Snowflake the Elf View Post
The trust of our people in God Jesus Christ should be declared on our national coins."
Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
To be honest I would lean more toward "In God We Trust" being a statement for the Christian god, however I like to step outside the "argument" and offer other ideas.

I feel to offer alternative ideas is a good way open a discussion and let people see other point of views.

I was just putting ideas out there. Also just because 1 man believed something does not mean everyone else did.
Old 10-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 3rd Class
Last Achievements

SnowMaiden1018 has disabled reputation
bell

Originally Posted by Billy Battles View Post
I was just putting ideas out there. Also just because 1 man believed something does not mean everyone else did.
But what you are failing to understand is that in those times, Christianity was THE religion of the settlers. They fought to believe the way they wanted. They knew of nothing else. You are assuming that life in the those times, was as it is today--where you can have 100 people in the room and they will all be of different faiths, races, etc. It wasnt like that.

I understand your "wanting to put ideas out there" But in order for an debate to be affective, one must LISTEN and understand where the other side is coming from.
I apologize for I do not want to seem rude, but please understand the differences of today compared to the yesteryears.

In these times today, had there been a need for a quote on the currency of the USA, I highly doubt that there would ever be an agreement, but back to my point--Christianity, was the religion. It was praticed freely, by everyone who came over on the boats to settle here. Understand it is because of the persecution they suffered in England due to thier religion, that they fled to the americas.

Once again, I am sorry if this comes off as rude, for I do not mean it to be. I am always grateful for a wonderful debate to partake in, but while I can understand your responses, I do not understand why you fail to understand what we are saying!! Its rather frustrating! You are more then welcome to your thoughts and opinions, but as for the argument of "just because one man believed it, doesnt mean everyone else did" --to be honest---THAT day? it did mean that.

Last edited by SnowMaiden1018; 10-15-2007 at 11:12 PM. Reason: spelling