Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » Growing my Christmas Music Collection

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,470
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,038)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
santahat Santa Speaks 2013
By MMC Editor
10-03-2013 11:07 AM
14,284 Views  0 Posts
It's a Wonderful Movie
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:04 PM
55,127 Views  0 Posts
Up in Flames
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:26 PM
47,942 Views  0 Posts
The Legends of Nature at...
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:54 PM
46,269 Views  0 Posts
What do elves get paid?
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 04:58 PM
48,791 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-14-2012, 12:57 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
14 16x16 Growing my Christmas Music Collection

Hello! I'm trying to figure out which CD's to buy this holiday season. Just so you guys can get a taste of my musical preference, I'm going to tell you which Christmas albums I already have. I have both of Mariah Carey's albums, "Merry Christmas" and "Merry Christmas II you". I have Micheal Bublé's album, "Christmas". I have Nat King Cole's album, "The Christmas Song" and I have Nsync's, "Home for Christmas". I have Destiny Child's, "8 Days of Christmas". I also have a Mary Mary CD called, "A Mary Mary Christmas" that I don't really like. And I have the song, "This Christmas" sung by Chris Brown.

Now, I'm planning to buy Mahalia Jackson's album, "Mahalia Sings Songs of Christmas". And I want to also buy another CD that has many of the seasonal classics. I was thinking of buying a Bing Crosby album called, "The Voice of Christmas: The Complete Decca Christmas Songbook".

I would really love to get some great gospel Christmas music, that actually has soul. The Mary Mary album sounds too secular and there is no spirit. I also would like to get a good secular album as well. Do you guys have any musical suggestions?
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

Old 09-14-2012, 08:23 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Superfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elf
It sounds to me that you are into 'newer' holiday music so I really don't know how much I can help you there.

I like the older 'stuff'. Check this out as a reference if you like oldies as well...

http://www.theyulelog.com/htmls/music.html

There's nothing weak on this list (if you like this sort of music that is).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfreak3 For This Useful Post:
jreagan56 (09-23-2012), Spyells (09-17-2012)
Old 09-14-2012, 02:13 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
It sounds to me that you are into 'newer' holiday music so I really don't know how much I can help you there.

I like the older 'stuff'. Check this out as a reference if you like oldies as well...

http://www.theyulelog.com/htmls/music.html

There's nothing weak on this list (if you like this sort of music that is).
Thanks for the link. I enjoy the newer music, but I honestly prefer the classics. Most of the CD's I have, with the exception of "Merry Christmas II you" and "Christmas", are albums I got in the early 2000's when I was still a kid. Lol! Now that I'm older, I find myself not as excited when listening to Destiny's Child or Nsync. I enjoy listening to Nat King Cole or Bing Crosby more.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

Old 09-17-2012, 02:56 PM
Last Achievements

Superfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elf
You definitely can't go wrong with classics contained in that Yule Log list!

The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak3 For This Useful Post:
Spyells (09-17-2012)
Old 09-17-2012, 05:54 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Starting & Adding to Your Christmas Music Library - A Primer

Taken from my blog:

Starting & Adding to Your Christmas Music Library - A Primer

Posted 07-28-2009 at 12:30 PM by RadioJonD

When building a Christmas Music Library a few fundamentals are in order.

For liturgical Christmas fair, choose a series such as Collectibles ‘Ultimate Christmas’, ‘Readers Digest’, ‘Time Life Treasury of Christmas’ or ‘Now That’s What I Call Christmas!’ That would allow you to build a solid traditional base. The ‘Now’ series will also include a good mix of recent artists and tunes. Avoid buying more than one of these types of packages, as you will begin to duplicate and waste money rather quickly.

Rhino Records Christmas CDs should seriously be considered to add some of the forgotten classics that have reclaimed over the years. Many styles and many genres have been explored. Their ‘Hillbilly Holiday’ CD issue has been long out of print and contains tunes that have never since been on CD. Like Rhino, the Capitol Ultra Lounge Christmas Cocktails CDs have reclaimed forgotten sounds! Hip-O Records ‘Yule B’ Swingin’’ & ‘Yule B’ Swingin’ Too’ should also be considered.

For later popular Christmas tunes collect all eight CDs in the ‘A Very Special Christmas’ collection. Starting from about 1987 up until a couple of years ago, Special Olympics gathered popular artist renderings of classic and original Christmas songs. This series has been scattered over several record labels. The US Marine Toys For Tots program currently has three CDs with lesser known artists in their ‘Maybe This Christmas’ series.

Dig around for more localized comp CDs from various charities and organizations. I’ve discovered a lot of new music and artists looking around for these regional offerings. My very most favorite find to date came about five years ago. I had been on the hunt for “A Little Holiday Spark’ for a few years when an internet contact found a used copy near Detroit. This was a United Cerebral Palsy of Metro Detroit compilation that contained a track by one of my all time favorite artists, Marshall Crenshaw. Mitch Ryder has a track on the CD as well. Ahh, the thrill of the hunt!

For Jazz, collect the GRP Christmas collection, for contemporary Christian, the WOW Christmas series. There are any number of Blues Christmas packages. Rhino has a few as does Billboard and others. Windham Hill will add a Celtic flavor. Rhino’s Cajun Christmas Alligator Stomp has what you’d expect from the title. There are many Country and Bluegrass collections out there as well.

Always pick up independent record label compilation CDs as they will open up new prospects. Again, I’ve learned about new artists and music this way. Alligator Records has at least two Christmas CDs and Yep Roc has a couple. I’ve also got a couple of Bullseye Record comp CDs. Compadre Records comes to mind as well as many many others! Double Crown Records has a surf theme going. The guy that runs it will pop into FaLaLaLaLa occasionally and offer special deals!

For very vintage tinsel tunes find Dawn of Sound’s ‘Voices of Christmas Past.’ This CD contains songs from 1898 to 1922! ‘Where Will You Be Christmas Day’ on the Dust to Digital label follows suit.

The vast majority of my collection has been purchased used. Many of the more popular (traditional) CDs came from pawnshops. The more popular an artist/genre/series is, the more likely you’ll find them in a pawnshop. Other used sources are thrift stores, yard sales, used music stores and many online stores/auctions. I’ve also caught a public radio station selling off their CD collections a couple of times! I picked up one of the Alligator Offerings for three bucks exactly a year after it came out. Scooped up the companion artist Christmas greetings promo CD sent to radio stations only from the same bin!

Most of these will be easily found online, but if anyone needs help tracking any of them down, contact me and I’ll see what I can do.

As you can see, I really like the various artist CDs! I have to really like a particular artist before I'll buy their Christmas CD(s).

Last but certainly not least, one should visit sites and blogs that feature out of print Christmas music ripped from their original source, usually vinyl, and offered as mp3 files. These tunes have not seen the light of the digital age. Some likely never will. There are too many to list here, but start at www.FaLaLaLaLa.com and then follow the linkage trail! Also check out the “Yule Audio All Year” thread in the music room for more as we find them. - http://www.mymerrychristmas.com/foru...ead.php?t=7892

Collecting Christmas music is an addiction, one I highly recommend! It keeps one off the street and high on tunes! There are many others that have collections that drawf my own so I know I'm not the only one! I'm only too glad to encourage anyone else that gets bitten by the Yule Tune bug!
made582 (09-19-2012), Spyells (09-17-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,581 Times in 3,716 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
This doesn't sound remotely like your stated taste in music, but I'm of the opinion that NO Christmas music collection should be without Burl Ives Holly Jolly Christmas OR Christmas With The Chipmunks... just sayin', is all...
Holiday (09-19-2012), made582 (09-19-2012), Spyells (09-18-2012), Superfreak3 (09-18-2012)
Old 09-18-2012, 12:31 PM
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Collecting Christmas music is an addiction, one I highly recommend! It keeps one off the street and high on tunes!
I absolutely agree - it is an addiction! Several years ago I stumbled onto MyMerryChristmas.com and that's where it all started really. I wanted a few essential Christmas albums, but 300+ albums later, I continue to look.

My main timeframe of interest is the 40's-Late 70's.

And if anyone has any questions about music, ask in the Music forum as you will get help and you will find what you are looking for eventually.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Superfreak3 For This Useful Post:
made582 (09-19-2012), RadioJonD (10-26-2012), Spyells (09-18-2012)
Old 09-19-2012, 01:50 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thank you for all the help! I started looking up everything you guys have mentioned. And I also started lurking through the music section of this forum. I think I've got a good idea of what I might buy.

Superfreak3: I love your list! Percy Faith and his orchestra playing "Silver Bells" is very pretty! I haven't even checked out the whole list yet, but I'm working on it. And you were right, the music forum certainly has given me a great start on growing my Christmas music library. Now I don't know what to buy because I have so many amazing choices!

RadioJonD: I've taken your advice and I've started looking into a series of collectibles. The hardest thing for me to decide now is which one to buy. Some I like better than others, but on none of the series I've looked up have I liked all the songs. Which one do you like best?

George Broderick, Jr.: I listened to samples of Burl Ives Christmas CD and you're right I have to get it. I don't think my collection would be complete without it.

Old 09-19-2012, 02:21 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 8,796 Times in 1,317 Posts
Solice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the Wisemen
Every year I buy new Christmas albums (new and old ones)
This year I have pre purchased Rod Stewart's Christmas album

I also have Spotify and access to every Christmas song I want
And I listen to them all. New and old

But my favorite album is this
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the old ones.....

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,951 Times in 3,217 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Solice View Post
Every year I buy new Christmas albums (new and old ones)
This year I have pre purchased Rod Stewart's Christmas album

I also have Spotify and access to every Christmas song I want
And I listen to them all. New and old

But my favorite album is this
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the old ones.....
Rod Stewart has a Christmas cd coming out??? I will have to check it out!

The Following User Says Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
Spyells (10-19-2012)