Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » Andy Williams and the Osmonds

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,468
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,864)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Legend of Baboushka
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:56 PM
58,125 Views  0 Posts
Stan Freberg's Green...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:54 PM
0 Posts
The Year Santa Was...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:33 PM
54,486 Views  0 Posts
The Christmas Spider
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:55 PM
47,754 Views  0 Posts
The Connection Between...
By MMC Editor
10-21-2011 09:32 AM
56,919 Views  0 Posts

Old 09-26-2012, 05:27 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,891 Times in 2,409 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
santahat Andy Williams and the Osmonds

Here locally the news today is full of Osmonds remembering Andy Williams and some of the coverage has been pretty cool. I want to share a couple of videos that I found today that both reminded me of those days when I used to watch this stuff on TV and also which caused me to now make some adult observations:

1. Andy Williams was really a little man, physically. But what a tremendous musical talent.

2. His launching of the Osmonds was not the only time he helped out struggling artists. He used to feature new talents all the time. He introduced the world to Ray Stevens, for example. In one of these videos below he talks about his father discovering the Osmonds and admonishes him to give them a break. You can tell if you watch the videos from the mid-60s of the Andy Williams show that he loved those boys and could identify with them because, like them, Andy sang as a boy with his brothers.

The second video here is from the 1966 Andy Williams Christmas show where he performs again with his brothers. What strikes you right away -- one, like the Osmonds, the Williams brothers all look alike and have a tremendous blend.

Great stuff. I watch this and I can't help but think how lame television is these days....

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
AuntieMistletoeDear (10-29-2012), frostyman (11-12-2012), made582 (09-30-2012), Maebeary (11-11-2012), RadioJonD (11-11-2012), Santa's Helper (11-15-2012), xmastidings (09-27-2012), Yuletide Junkie (11-11-2012)
Old 09-30-2012, 05:29 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class

mac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elfmac55 is a good elf
Just like Mel Torme, Andy is always on the radio or in the cd player around the holidays, so I was very sad to hear about his passing. He will always be in our homes come Xmas time.
RIP Andy.

ML
Old 09-30-2012, 08:49 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,409 Times in 5,615 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Love the clip with his brothers!

Mr. has a film from the 1940s in which the Williams Brothers do a specialty. Andy is the smallest one of the four, doing funny things (at one point they're standing behind a counter, and it looks like his head is on the table singing!). He was maybe 15 in that. Mr. has a film show tomorrow night, and he's going to show that clip as a tribute.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-11-2012)
Old 10-29-2012, 10:46 AM
MMC Hostess of Christmas Online

Last Achievements

Thanked 3,408 Times in 809 Posts
AuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the treeAuntieMistletoeDear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Not sure if I was more of an Andy fan than my family, but I think we all enjoyed watching the specials together.

Fast forward to more recent years - one of my brothers met with and enjoyed Andy's company. Andy was quite humble as an entertainer and didn't really like talking about it all that much. He asked for my brother's autograph. HaHa.

Thanks for sharing Jeff.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AuntieMistletoeDear For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (11-11-2012), Santa's Helper (11-15-2012), Yuletide Junkie (11-11-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:32 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Maebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoeMaebeary would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Thanks for this. Not sure what brought me here, today but glad I came.
Old 11-11-2012, 04:51 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,891 Times in 2,409 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I was thinking about you, Maebeary, when this was posted!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,186 Times in 364 Posts
frostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoefrostyman would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I sure will miss Andy at Christmas time. He has always been a part of my Christmas music tradition.
Old 11-28-2012, 06:51 AM
Merry KISSmas
Last Achievements

Mr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elfMr Walker is a good elf
From what I heard as well, Andy was a very humble and generous man. You can't doubt his loyalty... he practically flushed his career down the toilet when he stood by his crazy ex-wife after she shot that skier. I watched a 30 minute BBC compilation of songs from his various Christmas specials on Saturday night. His version of 'O Holy Night' might be one of the best ever.
Old 11-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Classic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elfClassic Christmas is a good elf
Originally Posted by Mr Walker View Post
From what I heard as well, Andy was a very humble and generous man. You can't doubt his loyalty... he practically flushed his career down the toilet when he stood by his crazy ex-wife after she shot that skier. I watched a 30 minute BBC compilation of songs from his various Christmas specials on Saturday night. His version of 'O Holy Night' might be one of the best ever.
First of all, Mr. Walker, as a long-time member of the KISS Army, I salute your avatar!

As for Andy Williams, he means Christmas to so many people. I bought one of his 'best of' Christmas DVDs a few years ago, and what a treat it is to watch it this time of year. Memories of past Christmases come flooding back.