Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Describe your home to be like at Christmas. What's it like to walk through your door

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,087
Threads: 53,915
Top Poster: xmas365 (165,650)
Welcome to our newest member, DoYouHearWhatIHear

Old 09-28-2012, 01:58 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
Describe your home to be like at Christmas. What's it like to walk through your door

For me nothing beats a cozy warm home at Christmas time. I can't fathom why anyone would opt for carrying on as if it were just any other time of year when they could be merry and festive.

When you walk through my front door I like all 5 senses to be delighted by holiday joy!!! So here is my description:

Before the door is even opened, you can see the rainbow glow of the tree from inside through the crystalled glass of the front door. Hopefully it is cold and snowy outside because as you come in you are greeted by an 10 foot tall tree with twinkling lights of every color shimmering with tinsel. You are encapsulated by warm air and your ears pick up the sounds of Christmas music which I have playing during all my waking hours. The only lights on at night are the tree and the red-bulbed candles in the window...and a tv showing one Chrisstmas special or another as that is all I watch the entire season. My wife watches Dancing with the Stars and some other reality shows but I put that stuff aside for 5 weeks.
Your nose picks up the scent of some fragrance or other that I have burning. We have three levels to our house each with a different candle melter going with a different scent or fragrance (usually Yankee Candles).
Straight ahead is the kitchen where I always have a multitude of holiday flavored/themed beer and red wines chilled and available. Also in the kitchen I have a freezer filled with a variety of Christmas cookies while the fridge is packed with port wine cheese balls and other cheeses and meats. I also have Chex mix, roasted nuts, chestnuts, etc. I have a whole huge menu of Christmas foods but that a different thread althogether.

So that's how it is to walk into my home. My basic theme is to envelope you in the warm festive glow, smell and feel of Christmas, so you feel in the event of a blizzard you'd actually love to be stranded there.

How about you.
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (10-02-2012), Festive Spirit (10-02-2012), Gingerbread Latte (10-03-2012), GingerMel (09-28-2012), Head Elf (10-02-2012), Holiday (10-01-2012), jayden28 (10-02-2012), katwkittens (10-01-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), Neotericisis (10-25-2012), shellie12 (09-28-2012), whitney37354 (10-01-2012)

Old 09-28-2012, 02:56 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,249 Times in 2,294 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
I think Robert Earl Keen describes it best.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (10-02-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), shellie12 (09-28-2012), sublimesting (10-02-2012)
Old 10-01-2012, 11:48 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,647 Times in 585 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
On the front porch are two pre-lit planters & a winter rug at the door. There is a Christmas flag in the front yard. You can see the battery powered candles flickering in every window.

Once inside, you look straight ahead to the dinng room. A nativity is on the pie safe, our stockings are hung, clear ornaments are in a two-tiered bowl on the table. We have Christmas cards around all door frames. A wreath made Of DD's handprints hangs on a doorknob.

To the left is the living room. The tree is in front of a window, surrounded by gifts. The Santa collection is on the sofa table. our family Christmas memories book is on an end table. DD's Package from Santa & Elf on the Shelf book are in this room too.

In the basement is DD's room. She has a large tree filled with ornaments she's made & ones from both grandmothers. In the den we have a small "mish-mosh" tree. We usually have a "harvest" candle burning & either music playing or watching a Christmas movie.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
ClaireLovesChristmas (10-02-2012), Head Elf (10-02-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), sublimesting (10-02-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 07:47 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
When you enter my house, in the front entry, you'll see a wooden old fashioned Santa, on the door that opens to enter our home, there's a "Let it Snow" welcome sign decorated with three bears. Once in the livingroom, there's a Christmas village on the entertainment center. In the front bow window, stands Mr & Mrs Santa Claus, in the right corner of the livingroom, stands our Christmas tree, decorated with lights and ornaments we've collected over the years. The mantle is decorated with Christmas decorations. In another corner is our nativity. Christmas cards decorate our mantle, and doorway leading to the kitchen. In our kitchen, our table is festively decorated with a tablecloth. On the wall is a plate hanger decorated with two Christmas plates. I have a few sets of plates, and change them each year. WE have decorations on the window sill over the sink. Down the hall in our den, we have decorations on the tables, including a Rudolph Village. Our kitchen always has a holiday candle burning. I love the holiday scents. I even have some decorations on our bathroom shelf, and burn a holiday candle in our bathroom too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to novelist For This Useful Post:
Head Elf (10-02-2012), lauriebear (10-03-2012), sublimesting (10-03-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 10:20 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Head Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happyHead Elf makes Santa very happy
Even before you step into my yard, my fence line has green garland and red bows on every fence post. Rope lights are woven through the fence panels. My flag pole has red and white rope lights making it look like a giant candy cane. When you reach my door, there is a wreath on my front door. This year I will have a Christmas tree outside on our patio with icicle lights hanging from the eaves.
As you enter my home, my 71/2 foot tree will be center of my living room windows. All decked out with the Santa head ornaments, with white lights, a garland of grapevine and red berries. On my fireplace will be some more Santas of every shape and size. Cinnamon or French Vanilla fills the air with a hint of orange. Gaily wrapped presents under the tree (well empty boxes for the first month (November)). As you walk down the hallway to our game room you are transported to the Reindeer Room. Every where you look, I have reindeer stationed all over the room. With some 3 foot Santa's peeking out from the corners. And I can't forget all of my Christmas Hippos lurking about singing and scootin over the floors.
Old 10-03-2012, 07:09 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Head Elf View Post
And I can't forget all of my Christmas Hippos lurking about singing and scootin over the floors.
I am intrigued by this "Christmas Hippo" which, by your description sounds to be a live animal you somehow keep in your home for the holidays. Please explain. Are these miniature hippos and if so where may I purchase one?"
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-03-2012), whitney37354 (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:51 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,242 Times in 495 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
I just wanted to say that I love this thread and wish more people would post on it.
lauriebear (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 09:04 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

Gingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry dispositionGingerbread Latte has shown a merry disposition
candle

Wow, sublimesting, your place sounds amazing! Well done!

The Following User Says Thank You to Gingerbread Latte For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 10:53 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
Before I post mine I wanted to say very good ideas are now forming because of this thread THANK YOU Sublimesting
Old 10-03-2012, 11:37 AM
Christmas Deity

Thanked 8,590 Times in 1,468 Posts
lauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the treelauriebear you could wrap up and put under the tree
My Christmas Home….
As you walk up the path to my door, little light-up snowmen welcome you and you are basking in the glow of my (what I like to call White Way Of Delight ref Annie of Green Gables) as all my fir-trees and bushes glow in warm soft white lights and red velvet bows. The reindeer who I have named Clair welcomes you (she is one of Santa’s lesser known Reindeer – tee hee) as you get to the gate. Little Signs directing you towards Candy Cane Lane, or North Pole Dr, or Billiard Blvd direct you and smaller sings announce little greetings of cheer. At the gate I have red velvet bows on each post and have the pine bough draped of the fence sprinkled with white lights, once on my patio you will be greeted by Buddy our Christmas Snowman, he stand about 3’ tall and is all aglow in the blue/white of the LED lights, nice contrast to the soft LEDs all over you really get his presence, a reindeer feeder is to the left , above that a wreath strung with white lights is on the overhang, and my door is to the left which has a let it snow, let it snow, let it snow wreath with a cute as a button snowman to greet you.
On the inside you will see the tree to your left a 7 ˝ footer with an antique snowflake/star toper, no lights are on this topper, but we position the lights so as the ceiling shimmers with the glow, all different decorations collected over the years, one from a vacation here, another from over there, some gifts, some purchased just because; but my two prized ornaments are my doves, they belonged to my Nana, I always put these at the very top. My lights well I switch from time to time so one year might be all white the next my multicolored it all depends but no matter what all my lights are steady on. No tinsel (for I have two cats that LOVE the tree and will try & climb said tree and eat said tinsel which can be yucky – no pun intended tee hee). Under my tree goes the Christmas Express Train set (yes these two kitties LOVE to chase this around & around). As well as my nativity set. In our house you do not see the Baby Jesus until after mid-night on Christmas Eve. On my TV stand is my Rudolph Village . On my Mantle are my Santa’s, on my end tables “mini” Christmas Villages. The walls I drape garland and the stocking are actual hung right by the front door, mistletoe is by the front entrance. As you go into my dining room you will see all sorts of decorations in and on my hutch, Christmas tea sets, eggnog sets, candles, and vases. The table has a red and gold accented table cloth and we have fresh flowers of the season. The bay window is in here and that holds my “large” Christmas Village, houses all aglow, people caroling, people with gifts, children playing, Christmas Trees, Santa’s, Mrs. Claus, Reindeer, Street Lamps, The Lighthouse, & Churches which are on three different levels of my window all shimmering with glitter and the tin foil I place on the shelves. You make a left into my kitchen and you will see my potholders for “show” are all hung up with Santa, Sleigh Riders, & Wreaths.
My bathroom has a candle and a wreath, and a Christmas hand towel by the sink.
If I am not baking up Christmas cookies, cakes, or pies, I have the Christmas Scented Candles in every room. Christmas music is on and/or the TV Specials/Shows.
I can close my eyes right now and I feel the very essence of this time of year. I too want you to feel you would want to stay should a storm strand you.
GingerMel (10-03-2012), loksi (11-09-2012), Neotericisis (10-25-2012)