Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Literature Discussion of books, short stories and other bits of Christmas in print.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,978
Threads: 53,470
Top Poster: xmas365 (151,037)
Welcome to our newest member, ShontelleE
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Playing Head Games with...
By MMC Editor
06-13-2002 04:20 PM
74,607 Views  0 Posts
Presentblue Black Friday 2012: The...
By Jeff Westover
11-23-2012 05:13 PM
48,664 Views  0 Posts
Tips for Buying a Fresh...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:57 PM
Last post by trackrebel
03-24-2014 09:13 AM
45,939 Views  1 Posts
The Angel or the Star?
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 08:45 PM
Last post by Stnicholas01
07-18-2013 01:57 PM
50,097 Views  1 Posts
Bells The REAL First Christmas
By MMC Editor
05-29-2002 10:34 PM
0 Posts

Old 06-01-2011, 02:50 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,590 Times in 748 Posts
Kimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnogKimothy will NOT spit in your eggnog
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
Has anyone read The Autobiography of Santa Claus (as told by Jeff Guinn)?

I picked it up for a penny a couple of weeks ago, and read some good reviews on it online. I was hoping to hear some more opinions.
Hey xmas365! I have it and have read it every year when the holidays roll around and LOVE it! This book does a wonderful job at weaving together history and magic seamlessly!
Old 06-01-2011, 07:31 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 5,674 Times in 1,298 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by xmas365 View Post
Has anyone read The Autobiography of Santa Claus (as told by Jeff Guinn)?

I picked it up for a penny a couple of weeks ago, and read some good reviews on it online. I was hoping to hear some more opinions.
Originally Posted by Kimothy View Post
Hey xmas365! I have it and have read it every year when the holidays roll around and LOVE it! This book does a wonderful job at weaving together history and magic seamlessly!

Yes!!! it is a great book, and it you can you might want to find the collection book that has all 3 of his Christmas stories in one book.
xmas365 (06-05-2011)
Old 06-05-2011, 10:43 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
I've just finished All I Want for Christmas and it was a lovely read. All that was missing was a glass of mulled wine and a mince pie!

It was a little bit repetitive but light hearted and just what I needed.

Comes recommended.
Old 06-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

happyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elfhappyelf is a good elf
Just finsihed A Christmas Secret by Anne Perry. Only a short book was a nice read though, but I do feel it was rushed towards the end and finished rather quickly.

Old 07-18-2011, 06:28 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

I've been busy, I have read the following in the last couple of weeks;

A Winters Tale: A charming romantic comedy about a hard-up single mum inheriting a stately home - and a host of headaches - The perfect novel for curling up with during the long winter nights. Sophy Winter is not your typical Lady of the Manor!. When she unexpectedly inherits Winter's End - a crumbling mansion in the beautiful Lancashire countryside - it seems like all Sophy's prayers have been answered. She eagerly swaps life as an impoverished housekeeper in favour of her own team of staff. But Sophy quickly realises the challenge on her hands - the house is decrepit and its eccentric inhabitants are a nightmare. And once it is discovered that Winter's End played host to a young Shakespeare, the entire village of Sticklepond becomes curious about Sophy's plans, especially charming Jack Lewis. But is he really smitten by Sophy!or her newly-acquired cash? Meanwhile, Sophy's gorgeous head gardener Seth is the strong and silent type. But does his passion bloom for anything beyond the horticultural? As Sophy gets to grips with squabbling relatives, collapsing buildings and the ghostly presence of one of her ancestors, she wonders if Winter's End is not so much a gift from the gods as a mixed blessing...A charming romantic comedy for fans of Katie Fforde and Jill Mansell - guaranteed to thaw the coldest of hearts.

A Winters Wedding: Emily loves Dylan.And Dylan loves Emily.Their relationship is rock solid.Everyone says they are meant to be together, it’s just a matter of when – not if – Dylan’s going to pop the Big Question.

There’s just one tiny fly in the ointment: Emily hates weddings. Which is fair enough seeing as she was jilted at the altar years ago by Alex, her supposed soulmate.Still, Dylan isn’t Alex.He’s gorgeous and sexy and scruffy and kind – and more than worth taking a chance on …

But what happens when the ghost of Emily’s Christmas past threatens to ruin everything? Can Dylan convince the love of his life he’s different and that their wedding day will be remembered for the right reasons?

After all, with a sprinkling of snow and a touch of magic in the air, there’s nothing quite like a winter’s wedding to warm the soul …

Last Christmas: It's the most wonderful time of year. Isn't it? Discover the true spirit of Christmas with this seasonal treat for fans of Love, Actually and The Holiday. Discover the true spirit of Christmas...Catherine Tinsall is dreading Christmas. As the 'Happy Homemaker' she is an online sensation, but the reality couldn't be more different. With Catherine's marriage in tatters, her children running wild and her mother increasingly forgetful, seasonal cheer is running low. Husband Noel also hides a secret: he's facing the axe at work. Until he chances upon the village of Hope Christmas, deep in the Shropshire countryside, which could be the second chance he's searching for. If he can save it from the developers! In Hope Christmas itself, schoolteacher Marianne Moore is trying to heal her battered heart. But Christmas is a time for families, and memories of what she's lost haunt her at every turn. Meanwhile, Gabriel North faces a lonely Christmas but hides his sadness for the sake of his son. Will his wife ever come home? Or does love lie elsewhere? All four need a Christmas miracle. And it might just happen - courtesy of a mysterious guardian angel ! Forced to reassess their lives, will Catherine, Noel, Marianne and Gabriel discover what the meaning of Christmas really is? An irresistible gift of a tale that will warm the hearts of Christmas-lovers and Scrooges alike!

All of which are an easy read but also seem strangely unfinished.

I am going to read Skipping Christmas: Christmas with the Krank's next.

Happy reading
Naomi
Old 09-30-2011, 01:44 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
November 2011: Western - A Lone Star Christmas

As a fan of William W. Johnstone & Christmas, I’m really excited about this one!

A Lone Star Christmas – William W. Johnstone with J.A. Johnstone will be available in November 2011

From the webpage and Newsletter:

We are excited to be releasing our first ever Christmas Western for this coming Holiday Season. The very cool thing about this western title is that the Johnstones are putting several favorite characters together...Smoke Jensen, Matt Jensen, Falcon and Duff Maccallister. Together For The First Time!

Read the First Chapter

Synopsis:

They just wanted to get home for Christmas...but fate had other plans. It's December 1890. A Texas rancher named Big Jim Conyers has a deal with Scottish-born, Wyoming cattleman named Duff MacAllister. Along with Smoke and Matt Jensen, the party bears down on Dodge, Kansas, to make a cattle drive back to Forth Worth. But before they can get out of Dodge, guns go off and a rich man's son is killed.

Soon the drive turns into a deadly pursuit, then a staggering series of clashes with bloodthirsty Indians and trigger-happy rustlers. And the worst is yet to come-the party rides into a devastating blizzard, a storm so fierce that their very survival is at stake.

From America's greatest Western author, here is an epic tale of the unforgiving American frontier and how, amidst fierce storms of man and nature, miracles can still happen.

From Amazon:

It's December 1890. A Texas rancher named Big Jim Conyers has a deal with Scottish-born, Wyoming cattleman named Duff MacAllister. Along with Smoke and Matt Jensen, the party bears down on Dodge, Kansas, to make a cattle drive back to Forth Worth. But before they can get out of Dodge, guns go off and a rich man's son is killed. Soon the drive turns into a deadly pursuit, then a staggering series of clashes with bloodthirsty Indians and trigger-happy rustlers. And the worst is yet to come - the party rides into a devastating blizzard, a storm so fierce that their very survival is at stake. From America's greatest Western author, here is an epic tale of the unforgiving American frontier and how, amidst fierce storms of man and nature, miracles can still happen.

Last edited by RadioJonD; 09-30-2011 at 02:43 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Holiday (09-30-2011)
Old 10-16-2012, 07:49 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
"A Rocky Mountain Christmas" - November 2012

Like last year's "Lone Star Christmas", it's a Western, it's about Christmas and it's written by J.A. Johnstone. Even before the first word is read, what's not to like?!

If you like any of all the above criteria, enter to win an advanced copy of ""A Rocky Mountain Christmas" today! Contest ends October 21, 2012.

From the webpage:

The families Jensen and MacCallister are two of the most legendary clans in frontier fiction. Now, the USA Today bestselling authors of A Lone Star Christmas bring them together once more—in a gripping tale of tragedy, survival, love, betrayal, and maybe even a miracle...
Three days before Christmas, Matt Jensen is traveling the Denver and Pacific railway when an avalanche slams down onto the train, trapping it in desolate Trout Creek Pass. But it wasn’t an act of nature that caused the accident; it was a gang of outlaws attempting to rescue their leader, who is being taken to Red Cliff to be hanged.

As Smoke Jensen and Duff MacCallister frantically try to make their way to the scene, Matt struggles to save the survivors, among them a beautiful young woman with a dark past, a merchant seaman turned rancher, and a senator with his very ill young daughter. Starving under a bitter, driving snow in the brutal, unforgiving Rocky Mountains, and surrounded by armed and desperate outlaws, Matt still dreams of making it home for Christmas. But unless fate lends a hand, nobody will.
Meceka (10-18-2012)