Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Lets have some christmas stories

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,943)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Santa Speaks 2004
By MMC Editor
06-11-2004 11:00 PM
60,574 Views  0 Posts
A Parent's Night Before...
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:41 PM
40,382 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2006
By MMC Editor
06-11-2006 11:11 PM
45,154 Views  0 Posts
The Year Santa Was...
By MMC Editor
05-30-2002 03:33 PM
54,450 Views  0 Posts
Who Put the X in...
By MMC Editor
06-22-2010 10:45 PM
0 Posts

Old 10-09-2012, 09:50 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,221 Times in 486 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
When my parents got divorced times were very difficult for my mom, financially. She didn't get much child support for me and my brother so we never had a lot of money but we were happy. She worked two jobs so we could afford our own house. I remember one year she got it into her head that she didn't want to use all the old ornaments from when she had been married...wanted to completely redo the tree in white ornaments.

So we went to Target and she picked out ornaments in white and pale pastels. But the problem was that when we went to the register her card got declined and we had to let them take it all back. When we got home my mother cried and I remember feeling horrible that she couldn't have this one perfect tree.

My brother and I pooled all the money we had, got a ride to Target with a relative and bought as many white ornaments as we could. Turns out it was a decent amount! Then we set up a scavenger hunt for my mom so that when she came home from her second job she'd have to go on this hunt to find them.

She was probably the happiest I've ever seen her that Christmas. It still makes me teary thinking about how she cried out of happiness upon opening our scavenger hunt gift of ornaments.
christmasjingles (10-09-2012), dreamingofawhiteChristmas (10-15-2012), Festive Spirit (10-09-2012), jayden28 (10-09-2012), Laney (10-09-2012), merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), momnan30 (10-09-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:13 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post
When my parents got divorced times were very difficult for my mom, financially. She didn't get much child support for me and my brother so we never had a lot of money but we were happy. She worked two jobs so we could afford our own house. I remember one year she got it into her head that she didn't want to use all the old ornaments from when she had been married...wanted to completely redo the tree in white ornaments.

So we went to Target and she picked out ornaments in white and pale pastels. But the problem was that when we went to the register her card got declined and we had to let them take it all back. When we got home my mother cried and I remember feeling horrible that she couldn't have this one perfect tree.

My brother and I pooled all the money we had, got a ride to Target with a relative and bought as many white ornaments as we could. Turns out it was a decent amount! Then we set up a scavenger hunt for my mom so that when she came home from her second job she'd have to go on this hunt to find them.

She was probably the happiest I've ever seen her that Christmas. It still makes me teary thinking about how she cried out of happiness upon opening our scavenger hunt gift of ornaments.
wow, what a beautiful story
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to christmasjingles For This Useful Post:
jayden28 (10-09-2012), merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014)
Old 10-09-2012, 10:56 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,221 Times in 486 Posts
GingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoeGingerMel would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Thanks. It's one of my most treasured memories.
merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014)
Old 10-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,678 Times in 881 Posts
momnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companionmomnan30 is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by GingerMel View Post

Now I feel like crying...what a beautiful recollection!

“Our hearts grow tender with childhood memories and love of kindred, and we are better throughout the year for having, in spirit, become a child again at Christmas-time.”
Laura Ingalls Wilder
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momnan30 For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (10-19-2012), merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014)
Old 10-09-2012, 03:16 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,100 Times in 411 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Only christmas can bring ŕ smile to someones face no matter how bad ŕ situration might be,great story.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:29 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

sgrover has disabled reputation
These are great stories, I've enjoyed every one! Years ago I started a journal, I guess, of my own Christmas memories. I've shared it here in past years, but I guess it's worth doing again...

A Christmas Tapestry

One of my earliest Christmas memories, I barely remember. I had the flu, and spent several feverish days & nights, laying on the sofa in the living room, watching the fuzzy lights on the Christmas tree blink. To this day, I love to lie on the sofa and almost close my eyes, just leaving them open enough to see the fuzzy lights blinking, like I did so long ago.

I remember going over to my aunt and uncle’s houses or them coming to our house with lots of cousins for Thanksgiving dinner. As soon as we either got home, or everyone left, up went the tree. My mom had old German Christmas albums, and we’d play them and decorate the tree.

One year my mother made a large nativity in her ceramics class, Joseph was about 18 – 24” tall. For years, we’d put that underneath the tree before any presents were put under there, it was beautiful. My daughter and I now put our nativity up on a table, but she does it with me every year.

I remember my mom getting out boxes of Christmas cards, back when it wasn’t the same card per box, but an assortment. We’d go through the whole Christmas card list, and pick out which card should go to which recipient. What a responsibility to make sure everyone got the most perfect card for them!

The house was always a flurry of excitement before church on Christmas Eve. The local news station always had a “Rudolph Watch” on the 6:00 news, so we’d see where Santa was, and wonder what time he’d get to our house.

I remember walking to church for the Christmas Eve service and wondering why on earth we didn’t go to the brown church (Catholic) instead of the white church (Lutheran), because it was sooooo much closer! (Actually about ˝ a block, I realize now, )

When we walked back home, magically, Santa had been there and delivered presents while were in church. Luckily, I never noticed that my mother always managed to forget her purse in the house and had to run back in and find it while we waited outside for her.

One gift I will never forget is my walking doll. It was almost as tall as me, and when you held her hand, she would ‘walk’ beside you. She had long blond hair just like me, and a beautiful face. But I didn’t get her until Christmas morning. We were eating breakfast, and there was a knock on the door. We wondered who would be stopping by on Christmas morning before church. It was some friends of my parents, and they had a huge box with them. They said they were out for a walk, and saw this box in the middle of the road, so went to get it out so it wouldn’t get run over. They saw that it had my name on it, and figured it must have fallen out of Santa’s sleigh, so they brought it right over. I knew I was very lucky that someone who knew who I was found it for me!

One year, my grandmother had hand crocheted matching vests for all of us little girl cousins. And we all had to try them on and have pictures taken. I’m sure they’re still a bunch of those stuck in photo albums someplace!

The Sears and JC Penny’s catalogs coming in the mail was such a joyous day!

We had a little mop of a dog at the time, and every year, we’d buy her a box of “Liva Snaps”, and tear one corner out before wrapping it and putting it under the tree. It didn’t take long before that nose was twitching and she got her box and started ripping the paper off and had her own little Christmas feast. She only got a couple before Mom or Dad put the box up, but I’m sure it was worth it!

I also remember once, Mom coming up to me in June or July and saying “Here, I hid these for you for Christmas and couldn’t find them – so you can have them now.” Funny enough, this same thing happened to me with my daughter a few Christmases ago, except I found it at the end of January. Like mother, like daughter!

I remember after moving to a new town, and attending a parochial school, that for our Christmas Eve Program, we sang the whole Luke Chapter 2. There was one part when the Adult Choir was up in the balcony singing with us, right after the angels told the shepherds about the Christ Child, and I swear it sounded just like there were angels up there singing “Glory to God in the Highest”, it was so beautiful.

When I started babysitting and had my own money, I remember being so excited to be able to decide what to get for everyone, to plan and shop and wrap. I had never realized before that it truly was more blessed to give than to receive.

I remember one year, I bought my son one of those, I don’t know what you call them, but every doctor or dentist office seems to have one – a bunch of big wooden or plastic beads on twisted wires that they can push around. I had taken it and put it in a larger box. As soon as he had the top of the big box off and saw what it was, he tried to crawl inside the box to get it out; my brother was opening it with him and had to pull him out by the feet to get the gift out.

One year when my son was about 2 1/2, I took him to the mall to see Santa. He would not sit on his lap though. The best I could get him to do was give Santa a hi-five and say “I want toys”.

The next Christmas when he was 3 1/2, he wanted to help me decorate the tree. Unfortunately, he couldn’t reach very high, and hadn’t gotten the concept of spreading the ornaments around. We had 36 ornaments on one branch! I think I did a little strategic reorganizing once he went to bed!

At the Christmas Eve program at our church, the children would always sing Silent Knight in German. The lights would be turned down low in the church, with just a spotlight on the altar and the Christmas trees shining. It brought tears to your eyes.

I remember my daughter’s first Christmas, she was 6 months old and slept through every gift opening we had. However, she was awake for dessert, and sat on my dad’s lap, and got her very first taste of whipped cream – and a love affair started!

It took us a few Christmases to realize this, but every year the boys would get up and rush to the living room to open presents. So my husband and I would quick grab the camera and start snapping away. One year I was looking through the albums, and checked about 3 years worth of Christmas pictures. Sure enough, every year we’ve got pictures of the boys in nothing but tidy whites, opening presents! I think that’s when they all started getting new PJs on Christmas Eve.

I remember the Christmas my daughter was 3 ˝,. She was on a combination of a Christmas high and a sugar buzz. Fun if you’re 3, not fun if you’re the Mama of the 3 year old! Anyway, I finally got her into bed with me a little after midnight. It’s just Mama, Cora, Barbie, Ken and their new Mustang Convertible, all nice and snug! Needless to say, as soon as Cora fell asleep, the car and all its occupants found its way to the floor.

My work really decorates to the hilt for Christmas; it’s like a Christmas wonderland. And they always have a Christmas breakfast and Toys for Tots toy drive early in December. So, we took her to breakfast and she saw Santa (saw – not talked to or sat on lap, just saw). For years she was totally convinced that I work at The North Pole .

It was that same year that she finally understood that Christmas was Baby Jesus’ birthday. Then she started telling everyone that Jesus was coming over to our house for birthday cake and ice cream!

One Christmas my sister took my daughter shopping for an afternoon so I could get my stuff at home wrapped. Well, I went to pick her up, and as I'm getting her out of my sister’s truck, she tells me, "Mama, I got you a present". I said, "You did? Wow!" (Notice, I did NOT say "What is it?"!). She then said, "It's a blue vase, but don't tell anyone, it's a secret." My lips are sealed!

This has become a yearly tradition now; my daughter goes shopping with her aunt, armed with a $10 bill and an entire Dollar Tree at her disposal! Her older brothers were all thrilled the year they all got plastic dinosaurs! But I just love the pretty vase she gave me, and I still have it in the living room, with pretty white silk roses in it.

When my daughter was 7, it was apparent she was becoming a Christmas-a-holic just like her mother. It was the day after Christmas, we were going somewhere, my husband was driving and she was in the back seat. All of a sudden she said, “Hey, you know what?” “What?” I asked. She cheerfully replied, “There’s only 364 days left until next Christmas!” My husband nearly drove us into the ditch, but I had a huge grin on my face and told her that was exactly right! She’s coming along nicely, .

The kids are older now, they get mostly money instead of gifts, and so the most fun one to buy for now is our dog. The first year we had her, we got her a few things for under the tree, and on Christmas morning, she saw the rest of us opening our gifts, and when she finally understood that the one pile was for her, she tore into it with great gusto! The following year she needed no encouragement, she figured out her pile right away, and when hers were all gone, she came over and helped me open mine too. The next year, she couldn’t wait for Christmas morning. She figured out, by smell I assume, a few of her presents, and more than once we caught her trying to sneak them upstairs to open them. Little (70lb) stinker!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sgrover For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (10-19-2012), jayden28 (10-19-2012), jennifer91 (10-18-2012), merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014), sugarcookie2 (10-26-2012)
Old 10-19-2012, 05:25 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 7,979 Times in 1,270 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
What a precious recollection of memories. Thanks for sharing everyone
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
merrymistletoe (10-19-2012), snowflake22 (03-22-2014)