Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Weird Christmas Traditions

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 10-07-2012, 06:15 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

jinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry dispositionjinglebellrock512 has shown a merry disposition
I loved reading all these "unusual" Christmas traditions! They all made me even more excited for Christmas Day!

This may happen with a few of you but our family has never done anything "special" on christmas eve! We don't open one gift, we don't have a huge meal, and we recently started watching "It's a Wonderful Life" on Christmas Eve. We do always go to the Christmas Eve Service at the church we attend, but afterwards we don't do much. Now that I and my brother are both married, my parents go over to a friends house and exchange presents with them. I don't know what kind of traditions i will start up this year with my husband, but I'm sure I'll think of something! (I kind of want to get us matching PJ's, even though my husband will think I'm crazy!)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jinglebellrock512 For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-24-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)

Old 10-07-2012, 09:14 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Originally Posted by jinglebellrock512 View Post
This may happen with a few of you but our family has never done anything "special" on christmas eve!
Our Christmas Eve was traditionally a big affair with a lot of gifts. Everyone would purchase something for everyone else. It made a nice scene under the tree, but it was a lot of work and too often you'd get something you didn't really like from extended family. My grandma hosts, and after my grandpa's death a few years ago we decided we should do something a little simpler. We started doing a secret santa exchange where everyone would submit a list of 3 gifts of some fixed value and we'd draw a list out of a hat on Thanksgiving and purchase for only that person. Having everyone make lists and not draw a member of their immediate family made it difficult. Now we've changed things again. Everyone still buys and wraps gifts for the kids, but the adults have a gift card exchange. The adults buy and wrap one gift card of an agreed value (for us it's $50), and we exchange through a game chosen by me. We've done a "left and right" game as well as Christmas trivia questions. After the game everyone is free to trade cards if they get one from a store or restaurant they wouldn't visit. It makes the exchange a lot more fun and less stressful.

My wife ran a similar exchange for her family where she wrote a trivia question about each member of the family. It got to be pretty funny and worked well since she was extra careful not to embarrass anyone in the questions.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

novelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elfnovelist is a good elf
I come from a big family, thats getting bigger every year. Since December of last year, we've had three new babies born into our family. That said, my sisters and I each exchange gifts with our immediate families. My sisters and I also exchange with eachother. For the three of us who are married, it's a joint gift for husband/wife. Our one sister who is singles gets her own gift. There is no more buying for niece and nephews or their children, except from their immediate families.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to novelist For This Useful Post:
Old 10-23-2012, 02:24 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

Cinder has shown a merry disposition
Well, here are a few. I hope they are suitably out of the ordinary!

When my cousins and I were little we had a toy train. It lit up, had smoke come out of it, and made noise. We would sit around the track on Christmas Eve and pass notes around.

When we go to church my one cousin (Gabrielle) and I always take the programs they give you and a pen or two and write/draw things for each other. We also have taken to donating to the church when we have money on that day, or if we don't have money, amusing ourselves by writing/drawing on the slips and taking them home with us.

My very favorite that started relatively recently is the Hobo Christmas Tree. It was always my Grandmother's job to set up and decorate the Christmas tree, so when she passed away my Grandfather didn't want to set one up. My cousins and I weren't going to have it. We asked if we could try to set something up and got permission.

We immediately started rummaging upstairs, where all the decorations were. We got what we could and went into the living room. We took a chair from the kitchen and covered it in a Christmas blanket, putting a tree skirt under it and a light-up Santa Claus on the tree skirt. We wrapped garland around it and tried a set of lights. They didn't work. I sent my cousin back upstairs while I worked on trying to get something to lie right (forget what it was, it took effort though).

We patiently wrapped the lights around our "tree" and then crossed our fingers and plugged everything in. IT WORKED! We were so happy.

There are probably one or two things I'm forgetting about it but that's the gist of it. Now we set one up every year .
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cinder For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (10-24-2012), lauriebear (10-24-2012), merrymistletoe (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 02:54 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,637 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Festive Spirit
On the night of Christmas Eve , I always look out the window at the sky just before I go to bed. I always did this when I was little and I guess I was hoping to catch a glimpse of Santa Claus.

I still do it now without even thinking about what I'm doing It's become almost a reflex action yet only on this particuliar night. The first time my husband noticed me he asked me what I was looking for.....I couldn't really give him an anwser.

Am I still hoping to see that magical man in the red suit..........?

......shhhhh don't tell anyone

[QUOTE=Christmas-A-Holic;468568] That is so cute!!! I am so glad you shared that!

hahahaha It's funny , I do it without even realising it. I've never told anyone but I know you all get it.

Last edited by Festive Spirit; 10-24-2012 at 02:59 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 03:00 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 9,637 Times in 1,569 Posts
Festive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the WisemenFestive Spirit could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Cinder View Post
Well, here are a few. I hope they are suitably out of the ordinary!

When my cousins and I were little we had a toy train. It lit up, had smoke come out of it, and made noise. We would sit around the track on Christmas Eve and pass notes around.

When we go to church my one cousin (Gabrielle) and I always take the programs they give you and a pen or two and write/draw things for each other. We also have taken to donating to the church when we have money on that day, or if we don't have money, amusing ourselves by writing/drawing on the slips and taking them home with us.

My very favorite that started relatively recently is the Hobo Christmas Tree. It was always my Grandmother's job to set up and decorate the Christmas tree, so when she passed away my Grandfather didn't want to set one up. My cousins and I weren't going to have it. We asked if we could try to set something up and got permission.

We immediately started rummaging upstairs, where all the decorations were. We got what we could and went into the living room. We took a chair from the kitchen and covered it in a Christmas blanket, putting a tree skirt under it and a light-up Santa Claus on the tree skirt. We wrapped garland around it and tried a set of lights. They didn't work. I sent my cousin back upstairs while I worked on trying to get something to lie right (forget what it was, it took effort though).

We patiently wrapped the lights around our "tree" and then crossed our fingers and plugged everything in. IT WORKED! We were so happy.

There are probably one or two things I'm forgetting about it but that's the gist of it. Now we set one up every year .
What a lovely thing to do!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Old 10-24-2012, 09:04 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry dispositionsublimesting has shown a merry disposition
I read Rip Van Winkle every Christmas Eve! I received it as a Christmas present in 2nd grade from my teacher and ended up reading it every Christmas Eve.
The Following User Says Thank You to sublimesting For This Useful Post:
lauriebear (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 11:08 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Hear Ye! Hear Ye! Hear Ye!...

Obsessionally recording hundreds of hours of Christmas radio programming since (at least) the mid nineties is my weird/wired/unusual tradition; made so much easier with a DAR.fm account beginning last year!

I have way more to which I could ever listen now (audio cassettes, VHS Hi-Fi video cassettes, CDs & DVDs, hard drive space, DAR...). Yet, year after year, the obsession continues!
ballcoach (04-28-2013), lauriebear (10-24-2012), redkaga (10-24-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 06:37 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

CuddleBug88 has shown a merry disposition
stocking

I love reading all these cool things, makes me super excited for the holidays coming up!

I guess the only thing we've done that I haven't really heard of is getting a can of black olives in our stockings. Love them and can't imagine a Christmas without a can.
The Following User Says Thank You to CuddleBug88 For This Useful Post:
redkaga (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 12:15 PM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

Neotericisis has shown a merry disposition
[QUOTE= Over the years the old man died, new neighbors quit the tradition, the boy scout troop leader died and the troop merged with another, and today only a few houses in that neighborhood put out the luminarias. When my parents moved, they carried the tradition with them, and every Christmas Eve (unless it's windy or rainy) the white plastic buckets get a new candle and the driveway lights up for another Christmas Eve night. It's an unusual tradition in the almost no one does it anymore, but nothing was better than those years when our entire neighborhood was lit up on Christmas Eve.[/QUOTE]

This is just the sweetest thing. Tears actually sprang in my eyes at work. See the joy that Christmas cheer can bring- its unlike any other time. So sad how old traditions can die. I am glad that your parents carried the tradition with them- it must have been wonderful to see everyone pitch in and have their yards lit up- beautiful!
The Following User Says Thank You to Neotericisis For This Useful Post:
redkaga (10-26-2012)