Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » Growing my Christmas Music Collection

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,848
Top Poster: xmas365 (163,200)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

Superfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elf
Before you spend too much money, don't forget to check out the many sharity sites for downloads. You can find collections, oddities, etc.

Great place to start.

Here's a nice list from a 2010 recap from Ernie Not Bert .

Falalalala.com is great too, but down at this time.

Another good source, at least for links is http://bongobells.blogspot.com/ . I don't know that it is an active blog any longer, but there are tons of links to music on the left side of the page.

I've alreay found some I don't have, but must!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Superfreak3 For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (09-22-2012), Spyells (09-20-2012)

Old 09-20-2012, 12:54 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,642 Times in 414 Posts
VictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnogVictoriaLT will NOT spit in your eggnog
I think that ''Now that's what I call Christmas'' is a great CD too. My mum has it in our Christmas music collection and I really enjoy it. It contains most of well-known and very beautiful Christmas songs which bring truly Christmas spirit. You can check the playlist of the CD here: http://www.buy.com/prod/now-that-s-w.../60508307.html
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoriaLT For This Useful Post:
Spyells (10-19-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:29 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Spyells View Post

I would really love to get some great gospel Christmas music, that actually has soul. The Mary Mary album sounds too secular and there is no spirit. I also would like to get a good secular album as well. Do you guys have any musical suggestions?
[/COLOR]
"We Have Seen His Star" - The Mississippi Mass Choir

Anything Mahalia!

Originally Posted by Spyells View Post
...RadioJonD: I've taken your advice and I've started looking into a series of collectibles. The hardest thing for me to decide now is which one to buy. Some I like better than others, but on none of the series I've looked up have I liked all the songs. Which one do you like best?...
If I had to start from scratch, for the liturgical/traditional side of the collection, I would probably go for the "Now That's What I Call Christmas" series. That is simply because one gets the older stuff along with some of the more recent stuff.

The thing about the newer stuff that is included is that at least some of it is based on current opinion of atrists and speculation about the popularity of the tunes and artists beyond their current record label shelf life. Years from now, some of these tracks may be the only thing to remember these "fad" artists by (and always remember girls and boys, a preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with).

Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
Before you spend too much money, don't forget to check out the many sharity sites for downloads. You can find collections, oddities, etc.

Great place to start.

Here's a nice list from a 2010 recap from Ernie Not Bert .

Falalalala.com is great too, but down at this time.

Another good source, at least for links is http://bongobells.blogspot.com/ . I don't know that it is an active blog any longer, but there are tons of links to music on the left side of the page.

I've alreay found some I don't have, but must!!

I also agree wholeheartedly with Superfreak3 about mining those vinyl blogs! Always follow the links offered at each to find more!

Last edited by RadioJonD; 09-22-2012 at 10:32 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Spyells (10-19-2012)
Old 09-22-2012, 10:33 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,238 Times in 2,287 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
Originally Posted by Superfreak3 View Post
...Falalalala.com is great too, but down at this time...
The Fa's Blog is down, but the forums are still in full swing and getting fairly active for the 2012 season!
Spyells (10-19-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 06:10 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
I just wanted to say thank you guys for all the help. I ordered my CD's and I received them in the mail today. Here are the CD's that I bought:

Mahalia Sings Songs of Christmas - Mahalia Jackson

The Complete Decca Christmas Songbook: The Voice of Christmas - Bing Crosby

Have a Holly Jolly Christmas - Burl Ives

Cheers, It's Christmas - Blake Shelton

A Charlie Brown Christmas - Vince Guaraldi Trio
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
RadioJonD (10-26-2012), redkaga (10-26-2012)