Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Halloween » Devils Night?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Halloween Spooks hover here! This merry section of the forum is dedicated to talking about our ideas, plans, thoughts and observations of a great day of Fall that just happens to lead right into the Christmas season.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,098
Threads: 54,013
Top Poster: xmas365 (167,029)
Welcome to our newest member, sonicboomboy

Old 10-31-2012, 06:25 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

christmasjingles has shown a merry dispositionchristmasjingles has shown a merry disposition
I grew up in Detroit in the '60's and yes, Devil's Night was a big deal, but back then, it was mostly kids out doing pranks like ringing doorbells and hiding, soaping car windows, tp'ing trees, cars, etc... I wasn't allowed out but my older brothers took part (I don't think my parents were aware) and they'd usually have some tales to tell. a lot of times people who kids didn't like were targets. like the house of the 'mean' man or lady on the block (like the one who rants if a ball goes in their yard, for example) but, years later, after we had moved out, it got a lot scarier, more violent, more evil, unfortunately. I'm not sure if they still have it or not, but I don't think it's the big problem that it once was.

Old 11-01-2012, 05:45 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,426 Times in 1,571 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
While I did do a few things on Mischief night back in the late 80's early 90's it was more just TP trees and houses. However in Philly mid or early 90's they got hit really bad with the fires on Mischief night almost a whole block of houses were burned if i recall.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:47 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
Wasn't that the "holiday" the bad guys were celebrating in the first "Crow" movie?

EDIT: After checking the link you provided, yes, it is:

"Devil's Night is an integral part of the 1994 film The Crow. Set in Detroit, the film shows in flashbacks the murder of Eric Draven (Brandon Lee), and the rape and murder of his fiancée Shelley Webster (Sofia Shinas) on Devil's Night. At a meeting of criminal underworld figures later in the film, the main villain Top Dollar (Michael Wincott) is portrayed as having started the first fires himself, which were later emulated by others. He declares that the practice has become tiresome as "it's all been done before", referencing the perceived popularity of Devil's Night by claiming that there are even Devil's Night greeting cards. He intends to further escalate the destruction annually wrought by his organization by "setting a fire so big the gods will notice us again!". His plan is halted by Draven, who ultimately kills him in retaliation for ordering the murder of Draven and his fiancé."