Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Controversy & Opinion » Merry Christmas in early November?

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Controversy & Opinion Visit Defend Christmas.com Presented by Defend Christmas, this forum covers the difficult topics of the season -- from the famed and fabled War on Christmas to church and state debates to using the star or the angel on the Christmas tree. Modern Christmas celebration has it's complications -- schools are divided, some Christmas light displays are too much, some even argue that it is better to call it a "holiday" tree. Some merchants won't even say "Merry Christmas"! Where there is controversy, there is insanity. Even in Christmas.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,846
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 11-10-2012, 09:50 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,021 Times in 174 Posts
Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Merry Christmas in early November?

I'm not really sure what to think of this and wanted a little feedback--a poster in another Christmas group posted about a week ago that she was "taking Christmas back" and had started greeting others with "Merry Christmas" and repeating it until the other person said "Merry Christmas". She was quite upset that so many people wouldn't say the words "Merry Christmas". So, this was maybe the 2nd of November and in the US--so before Election Day, Veterans Day and Thanksgiving. I love Christmas deeply, but I think getting mad that people aren't saying "Merry Christmas" two months before the day is a little much. What really surprised me was that aside from a couple people who pointed out that it was a little early, a lot of people were taking the attitude of "I insist on Merry Christmas and anyone who doesn't like it is being politically correct and can go hide under a rock". It seems to me that there are many very legitimate reasons not to want to say Merry Christmas that darn early, and that making an issue of this is not a good thing. But maybe I'm wrong. What do you think?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014), xmasbug (11-14-2012)

Old 11-10-2012, 11:28 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,469 Times in 1,754 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
We have to be honest and admit out loud that the majority of people think we're crazy!!!! When it becomes Christmas season for the rest of the world, then I feel it is justified to greet people with Merry Christmas. Beginning of November, however, doesn't exactly qualify for Christmas Season for the rest of the world and will therefore simply alienate people, especially if she labours the point

Anytime after your thanksgiving I think is fine!!!!

Last edited by Maureen; 11-10-2012 at 11:30 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maureen For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (11-12-2012), Neotericisis (11-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), xmasbug (11-14-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 01:00 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,931 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
I think the insistence at saying "Merry Christmas" is wrong any time. You can say "Happy Holidays" and NOT be offensive. The whole thing is just stupid.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (11-10-2012), lmm8606 (11-13-2012), redkaga (11-10-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Solice (11-12-2012), xmasbug (11-14-2012), Yuletide Junkie (11-10-2012)
Old 11-10-2012, 06:37 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,339 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
I think the insistence at saying "Merry Christmas" is wrong any time. You can say "Happy Holidays" and NOT be offensive. The whole thing is just stupid.
Amen to that. I love to hear the words Merry Christmas, of course, but if someone wants to wish me Season's Greetings, Happy Holidays, or Happy Anything, it makes me just as happy. There's no one right way to celebrate Christmas, and there's no wrong way to share the greetings. What gets me irritated is those who object to the word Christmas. But those who INSIST on it give the holiday a bad reputation.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (11-11-2012), Neotericisis (11-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014), Solice (11-12-2012)
Old 11-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Anne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elfAnne_Langston is a good elf
Maureen, you're right, we are seen as a little crazy, mostly in a good way! Jeff, totally agree, the insistence is wrong at any time--and Merry, I love to hear Merry Christmas, too, but any other friendly greeting works for me! I actually say Merry Christmas from December 24th to January 6th because, well, that's the church season of Christmas, but I realize that most people will think I'm a little batty for that! (But I love that one of my co-workers is Russian Orthodox, so I can say Merry Christmas to him at least in January!)
The Following User Says Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-11-2012, 03:01 PM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
I wonder if she was referring to the store clerks where some are forbidden to say the words "Merry Christmas"?

It is Christmas and nothing else but to insist everyone reply to her with the same greeting is kinda weird. If someone says Happy Holidays to me I just reply Merry Christmas and go on my merry way.

When I was a kid it was the greeting everyone used, Merry Christmas, no one ever thought of saying Happy Holiday for Christmas because it can apply to any holiday.

Yes society is slowing taking the Merry Christmas phrase out of the public but hey it's always in our heart.
Old 11-11-2012, 06:12 PM
Santa Clausologist
Last Achievements

Well, she started this the day she wrote the post, about the 2nd of November, and at that point (still, really) store clerks aren't even saying Happy Holidays. So I don't think they were _forbidden_ to say it, I think they thought she was weird for saying Merry Christmas three or so weeks before Thanksgiving. Apparently only one person even replied with Happy Holidays, and that was after she repeated Merry Christmas two times.

When I was growing up, I don't remember people saying "Merry Christmas" until very close to the actual day, to be honest. At department stores and tree lots, yes, but I remember teachers in school didn't say it until the last day of school before Christmas, and now that I'm thinking about it, I think it was more common to wish someone a Merry Christmas the last time you'd see them before the holiday, or at a Christmas party or play. It wasn't really used as the normal greeting all through December. Of course times change!

I'm thinking of varying "Merry Christmas" this year by learning the greeting in a few different languages. I think that would be very fun.
The Following User Says Thank You to Anne_Langston For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-12-2012, 01:51 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

sammylar1304 has shown a merry dispositionsammylar1304 has shown a merry disposition
Ok, so we know that we are all a little Christmas mad here but im sure im not alone when i say that the 2nd of November is too early to be wishing people a Merrry Christmas. I mean come on, there are many other things to enjoy before Christmas and i find that if i try and keep all my Christmas Spirit bundled up inside until the 1st of December i feel much more of a festive jolly person throughout December instead of letting all my Christmas joy fritter away through NOVEMBER!! I wont as a rule listen to Christmas music before the 1st of December either, i f i hear it i shut off the radio or tele of wherever it is i hear it. I just like to be festive when its time to be festive.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sammylar1304 For This Useful Post:
Anne_Langston (11-12-2012), snowflake22 (03-06-2014)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:04 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 9,539 Times in 1,443 Posts
Solice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the WisemenSolice could be one of the Wisemen
Originally Posted by Jeff Westover View Post
Amen!
Old 11-13-2012, 12:50 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

MonsterMasher has shown a merry dispositionMonsterMasher has shown a merry dispositionMonsterMasher has shown a merry dispositionMonsterMasher has shown a merry dispositionMonsterMasher has shown a merry disposition
I have to agree with Sammy on this one. In my opinion, it is a little too early to be saying "Merry Christmas" when it's only the 2nd of November. Let's not forget about thanksgiving, lol. I think the day after Thanksgiving, it's perfectly fine to say "Happy Holidays" and "Seasons Greetings"