Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Other Holidays > Thanksgiving » It's Thanksgiving and i'm losing my mind

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Thanksgiving Real Thanksgiving Thanksgiving is where Christmas really begins. Presented by Real Thanksgiving, this topic explores the activities, the foods, the entertainment and the family time of this classic American holiday.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,843
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 11-14-2012, 12:05 AM
Merry Forums Newbie
Last Achievements

Srebak has shown a merry disposition
It's Thanksgiving and i'm losing my mind

I've always watched television for as long as i can remember. Maybe that wasn't a good thing, but it always accomadated me, if only to a degree. So much so, that, every major holiday, i would watch TV shows and/or movies that related to said holiday. Right now, it's Thanksgiving time, and i'm trying to get into the spirit by watching various shows and movies relating to it. However, in recent years (2009 onwards to be exact), getting into the spirit of the top three holidays (Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas) has gotten harder and harder.

The problem is that whenever i try to think about things relating to the holiday i'm hyped for, i usually think about things from other shows. Under normal circumstances that wouldn't be all that bad, but with me, i tend to remember certain scenes from certain shows and movies and re-imagine them in unpleasant ways, it's driving me nuts.

For example, i'm trying to think about what Thanksgiving is about: being thankful and giving to others, but my mind keeps ruining the mood by reminding me of scenes from shows and movies that show that concepts like kindness and generosity aren't very common in the real world (the latter phrase particularly bothers me when i think about it).

I'm told that all of this excess thinking is just excess energy that needs to be burned off, but i'm really concerned.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:38 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,300 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Just a suggestion ... put aside the specials and movies for a while, and just concentrate on what the holiday means to YOU. If a scene starts, playing in your head, be the director, and change the scene to reflect what YOU feel about the holiday. Change the scenes instead of letting them change you. Get out and walk around and see the holidays in person, or volunteer. If we let the media change our perceptions of the holidays, we're all in big trouble!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 11-14-2012, 10:12 AM
Dang Near Santa Himself
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,060 Times in 612 Posts
joyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happyjoyful makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Just a suggestion ... put aside the specials and movies for a while, and just concentrate on what the holiday means to YOU. If a scene starts, playing in your head, be the director, and change the scene to reflect what YOU feel about the holiday. Change the scenes instead of letting them change you. Get out and walk around and see the holidays in person, or volunteer. If we let the media change our perceptions of the holidays, we're all in big trouble!

I agree and well said MerryCarey.
Old 11-14-2012, 01:38 PM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
Instead of think about scenes from shows what about your memories from holidays past?
I have been so busy these past couple months with work, kids and their sporting events/practices that Halloween blew right by me so fast that it didnt even like halloween and now the holidays are fast approaching. Now that the sports/practices are over I am enjoying the down time and just doing simple things and savoring the time. I have simple craft projects for Thanksgiving and Christmas that we will be working on with the kids.