Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,844
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 02-26-2013, 12:09 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,360 Times in 2,949 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Vintage Film

Just in case we are cluttering up the Countdown thread with our vintage movie talk, here's a thread where we can post to our hearts' content!
Merry Carey seems to know a lot about all kinds, but very sharp when it comes to classic comedy teams. So, who are your favorite teams?

I like Laurel and Hardy the best, followed by A&C and the Marx Brothers. The Three Stooges are by far my least favorite, and for me a little bit of them goes a long way.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013), caninemom3 (02-27-2013), mgramsey (02-27-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013), xmastidings (02-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (03-03-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,300 Times in 5,928 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Thanks for kicking this off, Ryan---I'll try not to make you regret it!

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post

I like Laurel and Hardy the best, followed by A&C and the Marx Brothers. The Three Stooges are by far my least favorite, and for me a little bit of them goes a long way.
I like all of those, and also agree that, for me, I like the Three Stooges in small doses. In fact, most of Columbia's comedy shorts come off as a bit loud and brassy to me, although I will sometimes sit still for one or two at a time.

I also like some more obscure comedy teams that most folks haven't seen, including Wheeler & Woolsey, who were known for being pretty risque in pre-Code comedies. Their films ran the gamut from adaptations of Broadway musicals (like "The Cuckoos") to mainstream comedies (like "Caught Plastered" or "Kentucky Kernels") to totally, outrageously nuts (like "Diplomaniacs" or "Cracked Nuts"). They've been hard to find for a while, but some of their films are now available on Warner Archive DVDs.

And don't forget some of the radio comedy teams that made movies: Burns & Allen, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy---even Fibber McGee and Molly made a few movies.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013), caninemom3 (02-27-2013), mgramsey (02-27-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013), xmastidings (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 12:23 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,926 Times in 497 Posts
mgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happy
I'm a westerns guy. Growing-up we went to the drive-in most weekends to see the latest western (guess I'm showing my age). I am a huge John Wayne fan. Our son Ethan is named after the character Wayne played in my favorite move of all time; 'The Searchers'. 'Gunsmoke' is by far my favorite TV series of all time.

I currently have satellite radio and enjoy the old time radio shows. The radio version of 'Gunsmoke' is great. I also enjoy the Jack Benny Show, Lum and Abner, Fibber McGee & Molly, Bob Hope Show, The Six Shooter, Bing Crosby Show, etc.

I
Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. <><
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to mgramsey For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013), caninemom3 (02-27-2013), Meceka (03-12-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013), xmastidings (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:22 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by mgramsey View Post
I'm a westerns guy. Growing-up we went to the drive-in most weekends to see the latest western (guess I'm showing my age). I am a huge John Wayne fan. Our son Ethan is named after the character Wayne played in my favorite move of all time; 'The Searchers'. 'Gunsmoke' is by far my favorite TV series of all time.
Mr. surprised me by showing me a 1940s Western movie (I think it was "Singing on the Trail") with a good-looking singing cowboy played by ... Ken Curtis! I couldn't believe that that clean-cut young cowboy was the same actor as frowzy ol' Festis!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), mgramsey (02-27-2013), Ryan (02-26-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (03-03-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:23 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by mgramsey View Post

I currently have satellite radio and enjoy the old time radio shows. The radio version of 'Gunsmoke' is great. I also enjoy the Jack Benny Show, Lum and Abner, Fibber McGee & Molly, Bob Hope Show, The Six Shooter, Bing Crosby Show, etc.

I
I'm a huge western fan, too! My favorite movie of all time is "El Dorado" with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum. I can pretty much quote it line for line. I recently purchased the Blu-ray of "Hondo" and it looks amazing. That's one of my favorites, too.

Is The Six Shooter the OTR show that had James Stewart?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), mgramsey (02-28-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:25 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Thanks for kicking this off, Ryan---I'll try not to make you regret it!

I like all of those, and also agree that, for me, I like the Three Stooges in small doses. In fact, most of Columbia's comedy shorts come off as a bit loud and brassy to me, although I will sometimes sit still for one or two at a time.

I also like some more obscure comedy teams that most folks haven't seen, including Wheeler & Woolsey, who were known for being pretty risque in pre-Code comedies. Their films ran the gamut from adaptations of Broadway musicals (like "The Cuckoos") to mainstream comedies (like "Caught Plastered" or "Kentucky Kernels") to totally, outrageously nuts (like "Diplomaniacs" or "Cracked Nuts"). They've been hard to find for a while, but some of their films are now available on Warner Archive DVDs.

And don't forget some of the radio comedy teams that made movies: Burns & Allen, Edgar Bergen and Charlie McCarthy---even Fibber McGee and Molly made a few movies.
TCM ran a Wheeler and Woolsey film a while back that I saw, and there were some very funny lines in it I remember. Now that you mention the pre-code stuff, it seems like I do remember an innuendo that I was a bit surprised by. I can't remember the name of it.

Speaking of OTR comedians, not part of a team, but I did buy Fred Allen's movie "Its in the Bag" on Blu-ray last week, but have not had a chance to watch it. Have you seen it? Is it any good?
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), MerryCarey (02-26-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 01:26 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Mr. surprised me by showing me a 1940s Western movie (I think it was "Singing on the Trail") with a good-looking singing cowboy played by ... Ken Curtis! I couldn't believe that that clean-cut young cowboy was the same actor as frowzy ol' Festis!
If I'm not mistaken, he sings in "The Searchers," too. He's pretty good!
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), MerryCarey (02-26-2013), Seawaters (02-26-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:31 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

TCM ran a Wheeler and Woolsey film a while back that I saw, and there were some very funny lines in it I remember. Now that you mention the pre-code stuff, it seems like I do remember an innuendo that I was a bit surprised by. I can't remember the name of it.
Could have been almost any of them! Their stuff was pretty tame by today's standards, but was pretty shocking then. Along the lines of "Animal Crackers," when Groucho says, "We took some pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed ... but we're going back in a couple weeks ..."

Speaking of OTR comedians, not part of a team, but I did buy Fred Allen's movie "Its in the Bag" on Blu-ray last week, but have not had a chance to watch it. Have you seen it? Is it any good?
I don't remember seeing it ... let me know what you think. I do like Fred Allen. I haven't seen much of his film work beyond a couple of his one-reel Vitaphone shorts. It's good to know that some of the more "obscure" films are getting an airing on Blu-ray. We don't have a Blu-ray player yet, 'cause we still have an non-HD analog TV. I've heard there's a mouthwatering Blu-ray of Buster Keaton's "The General."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), snowflake22 (02-26-2013)
Old 02-26-2013, 02:36 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Could have been almost any of them! Their stuff was pretty tame by today's standards, but was pretty shocking then. Along the lines of "Animal Crackers," when Groucho says, "We took some pictures of the native girls, but they weren't developed ... but we're going back in a couple weeks ..."

I don't remember seeing it ... let me know what you think. I do like Fred Allen. I haven't seen much of his film work beyond a couple of his one-reel Vitaphone shorts. It's good to know that some of the more "obscure" films are getting an airing on Blu-ray. We don't have a Blu-ray player yet, 'cause we still have an non-HD analog TV. I've heard there's a mouthwatering Blu-ray of Buster Keaton's "The General."
That line from Animal Crackers just made me laugh. Groucho could be risque, from what I understand (I've read some of his personal letters...I've heard he could cuss like a sailor, too).

From what I understand, this is Fred Allen's only starring role in a feature film. I'll let you know what I think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2013, 02:38 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I know they arenít categorized as a comedy team, but one of my favorite teams is William Powell and Myrna Loy. Powell and I share a birthday.
The two worked great together and I have all of their stuff on DVD save for one film.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post: