Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 02-27-2013, 07:25 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,926 Times in 497 Posts
mgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I'm a huge western fan, too! My favorite movie of all time is "El Dorado" with John Wayne and Robert Mitchum. I can pretty much quote it line for line. I recently purchased the Blu-ray of "Hondo" and it looks amazing. That's one of my favorites, too.

Is The Six Shooter the OTR show that had James Stewart?
Yes about the Six Shooter. Stewart only did it one year. It has a great Christmas episode.

Hondo is a great movie. Except for some of the early grade B westerns, I have all of Wayne movies. He was my hero.
Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. <><
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mgramsey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 3,926 Times in 497 Posts
mgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happymgramsey makes Santa very happy
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Mr. surprised me by showing me a 1940s Western movie (I think it was "Singing on the Trail") with a good-looking singing cowboy played by ... Ken Curtis! I couldn't believe that that clean-cut young cowboy was the same actor as frowzy ol' Festis!
Ken Curtis was with the singing group "The Sons of the Pioneers". He sang in several Wayne moves including Searchers and Rio Grande.
Luke 2:11 For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord. Isaiah 9:6 For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace. <><
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mgramsey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), MerryCarey (02-27-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013), Yuletide Junkie (03-03-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 PM
MMC Christmas Angel (1954 - 2013)

Thanked 43,482 Times in 9,271 Posts
caninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintcaninemom3 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
holly

There are so many classic movies I love. One of my very favorites is the original True Grit with John Wayne. Believe it or not I didn't like the new version with Jeff Bridges, (right ??) The Duke just had a way of delivering lines.

There is a Western which is not a true "classic" but I really love it. It is very short and it is called Purgatory. It is a Western with a really neat twist.

As far as comedy teams, I love all the teams mentioned previously but two people I love to see together though they were not a team was Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. My Favorite Wife is so fun. I loved that Cary Grant could be in funny films AND drama films. He cracks me up completely in Arsenic And Old Lace and Monkey Business was such a hoot !! xo

[URL="http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/"][SIZE=3]http://www.polarbearsinternational.org/[/SIZE][/URL]

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to caninemom3 For This Useful Post:
mgramsey (02-28-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:52 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,269 Times in 5,920 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I know they arenít categorized as a comedy team, but one of my favorite teams is William Powell and Myrna Loy. Powell and I share a birthday.
The two worked great together and I have all of their stuff on DVD save for one film.
Above the piano we have MGM lobby portraits of Powell and Loy. Mr. found them at a yard sale long before he met me, and had them cleaned up and framed. Years later a friend gave us a Robert Benchley short for Christmas where he goes to the movies. There on the wall of the lobby are the same two portraits! It was a strange feeling to see "our" pictures in a movie! I'll take a picture of them sometime so you can see them. They're not valuable, because they had to be trimmed a little because of the damage and wear on them. But they're beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
There are so many classic movies I love. One of my very favorites is the original True Grit with John Wayne. Believe it or not I didn't like the new version with Jeff Bridges, (right ??) The Duke just had a way of delivering lines.

There is a Western which is not a true "classic" but I really love it. It is very short and it is called Purgatory. It is a Western with a really neat twist.

As far as comedy teams, I love all the teams mentioned previously but two people I love to see together though they were not a team was Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. My Favorite Wife is so fun. I loved that Cary Grant could be in funny films AND drama films. He cracks me up completely in Arsenic And Old Lace and Monkey Business was such a hoot !! xo
I read the original book of "True Grit" last year---it's wonderful. So is the book on which "Paper Moon" was based. In some ways, that one is better than the movie.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), Meceka (03-12-2013), mgramsey (02-28-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-27-2013, 08:56 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Just finished watching a very good documentary about Clara Bow. What an extraordinary talent, and what a tragic life. Read her bio by David Stenn for the true story instead of the mythology and hype.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
caninemom3 (02-27-2013), mgramsey (02-28-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 08:28 AM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 29,138 Times in 4,624 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
The Three Stooges are by far my least favorite, and for me a little bit of them goes a long way.
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I like all of those, and also agree that, for me, I like the Three Stooges in small doses. In fact, most of Columbia's comedy shorts come off as a bit loud and brassy to me, although I will sometimes sit still for one or two at a time.
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Don't be dissin' my boys! The Stooges (with Curly, and sometimes Shemp) are the BEST! My phone's ringtone is them singing "Hello, hello, hello...HELLO!"
Don't make me sic Moe on you!
dreamingofawhiteChristmas (03-09-2013), mgramsey (02-28-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 09:46 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Bradmac View Post
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

Don't be dissin' my boys! The Stooges (with Curly, and sometimes Shemp) are the BEST! My phone's ringtone is them singing "Hello, hello, hello...HELLO!"
Whoa ye'se'f, not dissin' the Three at all! I have a ton of respect for those guys. The original three worked their way up from vaudeville. The team were Columbia short-subject stars and specialties in feature films for decades, and Columbia kept their short-subjects department open for them to continue making comedies when other short-subject units were closed down at the studio. They have the longest-lived continuous popularity of any comedy team that ever laid an image on nitrate. That's an amazing track record for ANY show-business act. But for me personally---well, one Columbia comedy directed by Jules White is about my limit. Just a matter of taste. Long live your boys!

P.S. I have their Alphabet Song on my MP3 player. They learned it from (director) Charley Chase---his babysitter (governess? nanny?) used to sing it to his girls.

Last edited by MerryCarey; 02-28-2013 at 09:50 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013), mgramsey (02-28-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013), Yuletide Junkie (03-03-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:22 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,331 Times in 2,948 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

I can handle some Stooges sometimes, they just aren't my favorite. Did you see the recent remake? My son wanted to watch it and he liked it. So, it got him wanting to see the REAL Stooges. Even though they aren't my favorite, i was glad! Anything that gets my boy into B&W comedy shorts is okay by me.
But I second MerryCarey...Long live your boys!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013), MerryCarey (02-28-2013), Yuletide Junkie (03-03-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:24 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,331 Times in 2,948 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Whoa. Whoa. Whoa.

PS...one of my goals in life, on my bucket list, is to be a "fake Shemp" in a movie. Do you know the story behind the fake Shemp?
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Bradmac (02-28-2013)