Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,976
Threads: 53,451
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,178)
Welcome to our newest member, Johnmak
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
A Forgotten Classic:...
By MerryCarey
07-26-2011 08:06 AM
Last post by MerryBells
07-31-2011 06:14 PM
2 Posts
“On the Feast of...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:11 AM
30,115 Views  0 Posts
My Christmas of 1947
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 08:58 PM
45,105 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Crackers
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:18 PM
49,479 Views  0 Posts
“Home for the Holidays”...
By MerryCarey
05-14-2012 11:45 AM
40,744 Views  0 Posts

Old 02-28-2013, 11:27 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,895 Times in 2,720 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Just finished watching a very good documentary about Clara Bow. What an extraordinary talent, and what a tragic life. Read her bio by David Stenn for the true story instead of the mythology and hype.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I've recently heard some about Clara Bow on the Commentary Track podcast. Have you ever listened? If you're interested, you can find it here.
But she seems like a very fascinating life and I would love to know more. Thanks for the tip!

PS...have you seen "Wings?" Isn't that Clara Bow? I have heard there is a new restored version on DVD.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:28 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Above the piano we have MGM lobby portraits of Powell and Loy. Mr. found them at a yard sale long before he met me, and had them cleaned up and framed. Years later a friend gave us a Robert Benchley short for Christmas where he goes to the movies. There on the wall of the lobby are the same two portraits! It was a strange feeling to see "our" pictures in a movie! I'll take a picture of them sometime so you can see them. They're not valuable, because they had to be trimmed a little because of the damage and wear on them. But they're beautiful.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I would love to see a picture of this! Sounds like your place is decorated the way I want mine.
MerryCarey (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
There are so many classic movies I love. One of my very favorites is the original True Grit with John Wayne. Believe it or not I didn't like the new version with Jeff Bridges, (right ??) The Duke just had a way of delivering lines.

There is a Western which is not a true "classic" but I really love it. It is very short and it is called Purgatory. It is a Western with a really neat twist.

As far as comedy teams, I love all the teams mentioned previously but two people I love to see together though they were not a team was Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. My Favorite Wife is so fun. I loved that Cary Grant could be in funny films AND drama films. He cracks me up completely in Arsenic And Old Lace and Monkey Business was such a hoot !! xo
I liked Purgatory, too. Most of the TNT Original westerns I've seen are great, and I've bought most of them on DVD.
caninemom3 (03-03-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 11:58 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,358 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I can handle some Stooges sometimes, they just aren't my favorite. Did you see the recent remake?
No. Way. Ever. I just don't get "remakes" when the originals are available and on the market for viewing.

PS...one of my goals in life, on my bucket list, is to be a "fake Shemp" in a movie. Do you know the story behind the fake Shemp?
I looked up the definition. That's a unique ambition!

I've recently heard some about Clara Bow on the Commentary Track podcast. Have you ever listened? If you're interested, you can find it here.
Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of that website before. I must listen to the one featuring Carl Davis (composer of musical scores for numerous video releases of silent films) ... he wrote a gorgeous score for "Our Hospitality," my favorite score for "The General," and the score he wrote for "Show People" is my absolute favorite. See, he also wrote the background music for the 13-part "Hollywood" series (a must-see), and the scoring included themes for certain people and circumstances. He plays with those themes in "Show People"---for example, when John Gilbert shows up in a cameo, you get a snippet of the John Gilbert theme he wrote for "Hollywood." It's full of little "in-jokes" like that, besides being a wonderful score in its own right.

But she seems like a very fascinating life and I would love to know more. Thanks for the tip!

PS...have you seen "Wings?" Isn't that Clara Bow? I have heard there is a new restored version on DVD.
Yes, Clara Bow is in "Wings." In one notorious scene, someone opens a door while she's changing clothes, and you get a split second of toplessness before she hastily covers up. (If you blink, you'd miss it.) I haven't seen the restoration yet ... I think it's available on Amazon Prime Instant Video, so I should check it out.

I would love to see a picture of this! Sounds like your place is decorated the way I want mine.
We have a few vintage window cards, lobby cards, and posters throughout the house. In our screening area we have two one-sheet frames that pop out of the wall so we can change posters throughout the year. But the house doesn't scream "movie freak."

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 02-28-2013, 12:00 PM
Mayor of The North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 27,642 Times in 4,416 Posts
Bradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintBradmac leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I can handle some Stooges sometimes, they just aren't my favorite. Did you see the recent remake? My son wanted to watch it and he liked it. So, it got him wanting to see the REAL Stooges. Even though they aren't my favorite, i was glad! Anything that gets my boy into B&W comedy shorts is okay by me.
But I second Merry Carey...Long live your boys!
Yeah, the recent Stooges movie was great, too!

*They drop a church steeple bell on a nun, rendering her unconscious*
Larry: "Say, wasn't that Sister Mary Mengela?"
Curly: "I don't know, but her face rings a bell."

Love it!!
PS...one of my goals in life, on my bucket list, is to be a "fake Shemp" in a movie. Do you know the story behind the fake Shemp?
Shemp was my second favorite third-Stooge behind Curly. I bet it was tough for Moe to have to use a "fake Shemp" to film in Shemp's place, since they were brothers (along with Curly).
mgramsey (03-04-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 12:06 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanks for posting, I hadn't heard of that website before. I must listen to the one featuring Carl Davis (composer of musical scores for numerous video releases of silent films) ... he wrote a gorgeous score for "Our Hospitality," my favorite score for "The General," and the score he wrote for "Show People" is my absolute favorite. See, he also wrote the background music for the 13-part "Hollywood" series (a must-see), and the scoring included themes for certain people and circumstances. He plays with those themes in "Show People"---for example, when John Gilbert shows up in a cameo, you get a snippet of the John Gilbert theme he wrote for "Hollywood." It's full of little "in-jokes" like that, besides being a wonderful score in its own right.
What is "Hollywood"? Is on DVD? I need to see this.
Old 02-28-2013, 12:14 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
What is "Hollywood"? Is on DVD? I need to see this.
"Hollywood" was a fabulous 13-part series about American silent films, from their evolution to the dawn of sound. It was produced by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill in 1980 for Thames Television in England. A few years later it aired on many PBS stations in the U.S. It's fascinating, because much of the story is told through vintage film clips and interviews with the actors, actresses, directors, crew members, etc. who were actually there. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It never gets old.

It was released on VHS (and on laserdisc, I think), but never on DVD. I got my hands on the VHS set and I'm never letting go. Wish they would do a DVD/Blu-ray release.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
mgramsey (03-04-2013), Ryan (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:26 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

"Hollywood" was a fabulous 13-part series about American silent films, from their evolution to the dawn of sound. It was produced by Kevin Brownlow and David Gill in 1980 for Thames Television in England. A few years later it aired on many PBS stations in the U.S. It's fascinating, because much of the story is told through vintage film clips and interviews with the actors, actresses, directors, crew members, etc. who were actually there. I can't tell you how many times I've watched it. It never gets old.

It was released on VHS (and on laserdisc, I think), but never on DVD. I got my hands on the VHS set and I'm never letting go. Wish they would do a DVD/Blu-ray release.
Thanks! Maybe sometime I'll get my hands on a copy. I don't even have a VHS player any more. Mine went out several years ago, and it was more expensive to buy a new one than to get a DVD player. Here's hoping they release it.
MerryCarey (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 01:27 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

PS...Kevin Brownlow is a guest on one of the episodes of the Commentary Track. It's a fascinating conversation.
MerryCarey (02-28-2013)
Old 02-28-2013, 02:35 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

PS...Kevin Brownlow is a guest on one of the episodes of the Commentary Track. It's a fascinating conversation.
Downloaded, along with the Carl Davis interview. Now to find chunks of time to enjoy them!