Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 03-12-2013, 04:08 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,616 Times in 7,651 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by caninemom3 View Post
There are so many classic movies I love. One of my very favorites is the original True Grit with John Wayne. Believe it or not I didn't like the new version with Jeff Bridges, (right ??) The Duke just had a way of delivering lines.

There is a Western which is not a true "classic" but I really love it. It is very short and it is called Purgatory. It is a Western with a really neat twist.

As far as comedy teams, I love all the teams mentioned previously but two people I love to see together though they were not a team was Cary Grant and Irene Dunne. My Favorite Wife is so fun. I loved that Cary Grant could be in funny films AND drama films. He cracks me up completely in Arsenic And Old Lace and Monkey Business was such a hoot !! xo
Cary Grant is among my favorites, too. I love Arsenic and Old Lace, Bringing Up Baby and (I'm not sure of the title) The Great Adventure.

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following User Says Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
Ryan (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:10 PM

Last Achievements

Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I read the original book of "True Grit" last year---it's wonderful. So is the book on which "Paper Moon" was based. In some ways, that one is better than the movie.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I'll have to read the books - it is rare for me to find a movie better than a book. Any other recommendations?

MerryCarey (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:43 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I am about to start one of my two last classes of my undergraduate career, and one of them is a class on Film Noir (I know, itís a senior ďblow-offĒ class, should be very breezy). But, I just looked at some of the films I need to watch and there are some good ones on the list! Double Indemnity is a requirement, and Iíve actually never seen this movie. Iím looking forward to it. Sunset Boulevard is also on the list. Iíve seen it but it has been at least fifteen years. I actually have it on DVD but have not watched that copy yet, so Iím looking forward to seeing it again. The Maltese Falcon and The Third Man are required viewing as well. Iíve seen Falcon and enjoy it, but have never seen The Third Man. Beyond this, some late Noir such as Point Blank with Lee Marvin are required, and I love that movie! Itís very unique, but one of my favorites. Chinatown is required as well, and Iím not looking forward to it. Iíve always wanted to see it and want to like it, but I canít separate it from Roman Polanski, who I find myself wanting to punch in the face. But, it may still be a good movie.
AlrightÖjust thought Iíd pass it along. Have any of you seen any of these pictures? If so, what do you think?
I've seen all but Point Blank. It was odd seeing Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck in a noir film since I was used to them from their television shows. Did you ever see their Christmas drama Remember the Night? The Maltese Falcon is my favorite of all that you mentioned and my least favorite is Chinatown. I saw that a long time ago and I don't remember why I didn't like it. Enjoy your class - sounds like it would be a fun one to take!

Ryan (04-16-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:45 PM

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Bradmac View Post
That line is from the latest Stooges movie. I have to say, it was pretty good!
My brother really liked it and he loves the early Stooge shorts, esp. the ones involving Moronica. I have to admit that is a great name!

Bradmac (03-12-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 04:59 PM

Last Achievements

Some of my favorite classic films: Sullivan's Travels, My Man Godfrey, Merrily We Live, You Can't Take It With You, The Lady Eve, City Lights, The Meanest Man in the World, and Dinner at Eight.

Ryan (04-16-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,293 Times in 5,927 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Meceka View Post
Some of my favorite classic films: Sullivan's Travels, My Man Godfrey, Merrily We Live, You Can't Take It With You, The Lady Eve, City Lights, The Meanest Man in the World, and Dinner at Eight.
I love "You Can't Take It With You"!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Meceka (03-13-2013)
Old 03-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,360 Times in 2,949 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Meceka View Post
I've seen all but Point Blank. It was odd seeing Fred McMurray and Barbara Stanwyck in a noir film since I was used to them from their television shows. Did you ever see their Christmas drama Remember the Night? The Maltese Falcon is my favorite of all that you mentioned and my least favorite is Chinatown. I saw that a long time ago and I don't remember why I didn't like it. Enjoy your class - sounds like it would be a fun one to take!
From what I've read, Chinatown is a little dark and twisted. I guess I'll find out because I'm going to be watching it.

Point Blank is very good, but it is different (it's based on a book...the same book the Mel Gibson movie "Payback" is based on, and the book series features the character Parker who they just made a move of called "Parker"). Point Blank isn't everyone's cup of tea, and I did not like it the first time I saw it but loved it the second time.

I want to find the first Maltese Falcon from the 30s (pre-code stuff). The Bogart version is the famous one, but it was actually a remake! I didn't know that until recently.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Meceka (03-13-2013)
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,360 Times in 2,949 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I began reading "Laurel and Hardy: The Magic Behind the Movies" yesterday, and already I have a new appreciation for Oliver Hardy. He was a great actor! I didn't realize he was so laid pack in personal life, and the opposite of the character he played on screen. The book is fascinating so far. I've always sort of neglected Ollie and kept my eye on Stan, but now I feel as if I need to rewatch with a focus on Ollie to see how much I've missed!
Old 03-13-2013, 02:21 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,981 Times in 9,434 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Bradmac View Post
That line is from the latest Stooges movie. I have to say, it was pretty good!
I haven't seen that yet, might be why I haven't heard that line! I guess I better check it out but I was afraid I would be disappointed in that movie.

Old 03-13-2013, 02:25 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,981 Times in 9,434 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
MerryCarey, My mom and I were talking about W.C. Fields and Laurel and Hardy on the way home from Six Flags today.

I was thinking of you when you shared a Christmas one of Laurel and Hardy to me about selling the Christmas trees door to door. I am still laughing over what Laurel asked the lady at the door, "If you had a husband, would he buy a tree"? (More to that for those who haven't seen that skit). My mom was dying laughing when I told her the whole thing. I laugh every time I think of it!!!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (03-13-2013), Ryan (03-13-2013)