Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,127
Threads: 54,225
Top Poster: xmas365 (169,420)
Welcome to our newest member, cmas333

Old 04-01-2013, 03:07 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,499 Times in 1,598 Posts
XmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the treeXmasDreams you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Amen! I'm not a fan of colorized versions, although I understand why some like them.

Some movies, like film noir mysteries, work best in black and white in my opinion...the shading and the shadows would be off if they were in color.

Which is a big thing for me love my Noir stuff and i also listen to lots of OTR stuff as well like Johnny Dollar and the likes.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
Christmas-A-Holic (04-01-2013), Ryan (04-01-2013)

Old 04-01-2013, 05:21 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 39,177 Times in 6,086 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint

Tonight, in honor of baseball's opening day, are some baseball comedies. One I've never seen but am excited about is "It Happens Every Spring." Has anyone seen that one?
I haven't seen that. My favorite baseball comedy is "Rhubarb." It's about a cat that inherits a baseball team. There's also a little-known comedy called "Kill the Umpire."

My wife is not a fan of it, either. To her, if a movie is in black and white it's probably not worth watching.
Boooooo! For shame!

Originally Posted by Christmas-A-Holic View Post
My dad had bought those on VHS colorized when I was a teen and I would adjust the settings on the TV to turn the color off so I could watch them in black and white. Crazy, huh?
Crazy ... NOT! I don't like "Miracle on 34th Street" in color, and I can't STAND "It's a Wonderful Life" or Alastair Sim's "Scrooge" in color.

But there are a few films that actually benefit from colorization. Have you seen either of the colorized versions of "Babes in Toyland" (aka "March of the Wooden Soldiers")? Hal Roach wanted to make that in color, but didn't have the budget.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Old 04-01-2013, 05:24 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Which is a big thing for me love my Noir stuff and i also listen to lots of OTR stuff as well like Johnny Dollar and the likes.
We LOVE Johnny Dollar, especially the "serials" (one story Monday through Friday in five episodes) starring Bob Bailey. We collected all the Bob Bailey Johnny Dollar episodes that we could lay hands on. Dick Powell as Richard Diamond is good, too.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-02-2013), XmasDreams (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 08:05 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 53,937 Times in 9,773 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Crazy ... NOT! I don't like "Miracle on 34th Street" in color, and I can't STAND "It's a Wonderful Life" or Alastair Sim's "Scrooge" in color.

But there are a few films that actually benefit from colorization. Have you seen either of the colorized versions of "Babes in Toyland" (aka "March of the Wooden Soldiers")? Hal Roach wanted to make that in color, but didn't have the budget.
I have not seen that one.

I forgot that they colorized Scrooge.

The Following User Says Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (04-02-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 10:11 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,067 Times in 384 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf

I forgot that they colorized Scrooge.
We all try to forget nightmares ASAP.
Old 04-02-2013, 07:24 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,810 Times in 3,033 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I haven't seen that. My favorite baseball comedy is "Rhubarb." It's about a cat that inherits a baseball team. There's also a little-known comedy called "Kill the Umpire."

Boooooo! For shame!

I haven't seen "Babes" in color. I need to. To be honest, I haven't seen it since I was a very young child, so it will be like watching a new movie for me. For years so much of L&H's stuff wasn't available on the home video market (or easily available, I should say) so there are some I have not seen! But, this summer, when I will have more time I plan to correct that situation!
I have heard there's a very good DVD of "Babes" that has the colorized version and the B&W.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (04-02-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 07:47 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

"Babes in Toyland" (or "March of the Wooden Soldiers") is Laurel & Hardy among Mother Goose characters. Their landlady is the Old Woman who Lives in a Shoe; they work for the Toymaker who supplies toys to Santa Claus. It has songs and background music by Victor Herbert (from the original stage production). You'll recognize some of the music when you hear it, especially "Toyland" and the march.

I haven't seen "Babes" in color. I need to. To be honest, I haven't seen it since I was a very young child, so it will be like watching a new movie for me. For years so much of L&H's stuff wasn't available on the home video market (or easily available, I should say) so there are some I have not seen! But, this summer, when I will have more time I plan to correct that situation!
I have heard there's a very good DVD of "Babes" that has the colorized version and the B&W.
We have two color versions, the B&W version, and a 16mm print. Of the two colorized versions, we prefer the one issued by Goodtimes, but I'm not sure if it's still in print. The abridged versions have gone into public domain, so if you want to see a sharp, clear print, get Goodtimes, Legend, or MGM.

The bundle you mentioned is by Legend, and the color is nice. The BEST black-and-white DVD is on the MGM label, because the film's ownership passed legally from Hal Roach to MGM as part of a legal settlement.

Where I grew up, the local TV stations ALWAYS ran this during the Christmas season. Where Mr. grew up, it was always aired on Thanksgiving, so sometimes we screen it on Thanksgiving to officially open the season.

In short---see it!

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-03-2013)
Old 04-08-2013, 03:37 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
MerryCarey, this is a question for you...
I came across a book available on the Kindle called the Laurel and Hardy Murders by Marvin Kaye. From what I read, Kaye was associated with the Sons of the Desert (the book uses the Sons as a key plot point, apparently). Have you read it? If so, is it any good? Heck, you might even know the author!
Old 04-08-2013, 05:58 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey, this is a question for you...
I came across a book available on the Kindle called the Laurel and Hardy Murders by Marvin Kaye. From what I read, Kaye was associated with the Sons of the Desert (the book uses the Sons as a key plot point, apparently). Have you read it? If so, is it any good? Heck, you might even know the author!
That book was originally published back in the late '60s or early '70s---back in those days (before I joined) women were barred from some tents, and I think that comes out in the story. Kaye was a president of the New York tent, and some real-life members appear as characters, including the legendary Al Kilgore, who created the Sons' gorgeous escutcheon. I read the book soooo long ago I don't remember anything about it. I don't think anyone I know is in it, except maybe Dwain Smith, who is still with us---he was at last year's convention. What the heck, give it a try! But it probably doesn't reflect the Sons as they are today.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Old 04-15-2013, 08:39 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

TCM update...tomorrow (Tuesday, April 16), TCM will be running quite a few Chaplin films, including Modern Times which I am excited to see. Also, a Buster Keaton silent, Seven Chances, will be on in the evening. I have never seen several of the films they are running, so my DVR will be busy!