Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,086
Threads: 53,911
Top Poster: xmas365 (164,784)
Welcome to our newest member, CharlieTheElf

Old 04-15-2013, 04:00 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,523 Times in 5,971 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
TCM update...tomorrow (Tuesday, April 16), TCM will be running quite a few Chaplin films, including Modern Times which I am excited to see. Also, a Buster Keaton silent, Seven Chances, will be on in the evening. I have never seen several of the films they are running, so my DVR will be busy!
Tomorrow's Chaplin's birthday, so I guess it's a birthday tribute. But I can't figure out how "Seven Chances" fits in, unless it's "equal time."

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013)

Old 04-16-2013, 08:27 AM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,354 Times in 1,538 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Speaking of TCM, which is my Fave TV channel. Does any one subscribe to the TCM not playing magazine that comes out monthly? I've always wanted to get it but never had taken the time to order it.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:15 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,487 Times in 2,968 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Speaking of TCM, which is my Fave TV channel. Does any one subscribe to the TCM not playing magazine that comes out monthly? I've always wanted to get it but never had taken the time to order it.
Just click here and you can subscribe. If you do, let me know how it is, please!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:16 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Tomorrow's Chaplin's birthday, so I guess it's a birthday tribute. But I can't figure out how "Seven Chances" fits in, unless it's "equal time."
Who do you prefer of the two: Chaplin or Keaton?
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,354 Times in 1,538 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Just click here and you can subscribe. If you do, let me know how it is, please!
Thanks, I might just do it this weekend when i get paid.

TO me they both are so different from one another but as the best at the timing in comedy might just go with Keaton. IF we go on full just feel good roll around laughing i would go with Chaplin. Wish i had pictures still but about 1983 or 4 i dressed up as Tramp master Chaplin

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following User Says Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:50 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Some years ago I liked them both equally. I have a lot of respect for them both, but in the end, I enjoy Buster Keaton more. Chaplin seems to be too full of himself, too self-consciously arty at times ("Look at me, I'm a genius!"). Keaton, on the other hand, has been known to sternly tell someone who applied the word "genius" to him to NEVER refer to him by "that word" again.

I also have an affinity for Keaton because his films were a sort of inspiration to me when I went through chemotherapy (twice) in the 1980s. "The General" became a metaphor to me---he just wouldn't quit until he achieved his objective, however absurd it may have seemed at times for him to persist in his quest to get his stolen locomotive back. I also met and greatly respected Eleanor Keaton.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013), XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:51 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Thanks, I might just do it this weekend when i get paid.

TO me they both are so different from one another but as the best at the timing in comedy might just go with Keaton. IF we go on full just feel good roll around laughing i would go with Chaplin. Wish i had pictures still but about 1983 or 4 i dressed up as Tramp master Chaplin
Would love to see those pictures! I am not very familiar with Keaton's work, so I can't really have an opinion as of now (although I plan on watching some, starting with Seven Chances tonight). But, I am partial to Harold Lloyd, personally. He's very funny, and I just like his style and personality.
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 01:55 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Some years ago I liked them both equally. I have a lot of respect for them both, but in the end, I enjoy Buster Keaton more. Chaplin seems to be too full of himself, too self-consciously arty at times ("Look at me, I'm a genius!"). Keaton, on the other hand, has been known to sternly tell someone who applied the word "genius" to him to NEVER refer to him by "that word" again.

I also have an affinity for Keaton because his films were a sort of inspiration to me when I went through chemotherapy (twice) in the 1980s. "The General" became a metaphor to me---he just wouldn't quit until he achieved his objective, however absurd it may have seemed at times for him to persist in his quest to get his stolen locomotive back. I also met and greatly respected Eleanor Keaton.
Very cool story about Keaton's work being a metaphor for you! I've never gone through something as hard as cancer, but there are times in my life when I relate to certain films and they inspire me. Glad I'm not the only one!

I agree with your assessment of Chaplin and you put into words what I was trying to find a way to sum up! I like my comedy less artsy and self-important and more straight up played for laughs. This is one reason I enjoy Lloyd, and even L&H. There's no agenda or message...just fun.
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:01 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

I am not very familiar with Keaton's work, so I can't really have an opinion as of now (although I plan on watching some, starting with Seven Chances tonight). But, I am partial to Harold Lloyd, personally. He's very funny, and I just like his style and personality.
We have a nice DVD box set of Lloyd that we got for Christmas some years ago---I'm ashamed to say we haven't played much of them. In his day, his popularity outstripped Chaplin and Keaton. Partly because his films were released more frequently then Chaplin's, and he was less of an acquired taste than Keaton.

A propos of nothing---I stumbled across an old book of recipes from film stars of the 1920s on Google Books, including Lloyd's recipe for his favorite lemon cake. I have it on my computer somewhere.

Very cool story about Keaton's work being a metaphor for you! I've never gone through something as hard as cancer, but there are times in my life when I relate to certain films and they inspire me. Glad I'm not the only one!

I agree with your assessment of Chaplin and you put into words what I was trying to find a way to sum up! I like my comedy less artsy and self-important and more straight up played for laughs. This is one reason I enjoy Lloyd, and even L&H. There's no agenda or message...just fun.
W.C. Fields supposedly said of Chaplin: "The [unprintable] is a ballet dancer." I don't think he meant it as a compliment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013), XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:17 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

We have a nice DVD box set of Lloyd that we got for Christmas some years ago---I'm ashamed to say we haven't played much of them. In his day, his popularity outstripped Chaplin and Keaton. Partly because his films were released more frequently then Chaplin's, and he was less of an acquired taste than Keaton.

A propos of nothing---I stumbled across an old book of recipes from film stars of the 1920s on Google Books, including Lloyd's recipe for his favorite lemon cake. I have it on my computer somewhere.

W.C. Fields supposedly said of Chaplin: "The [unprintable] is a ballet dancer." I don't think he meant it as a compliment.
That's funny! I will use my imagination as to what Fields called him! I'm guessing Chaplin was a big smug.

I guess I have always related more to Lloyd because his style just clicks with my personality and I've related to the "guy with glasses" character before!
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)