Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,847
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 04-16-2013, 02:23 PM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,013 Times in 363 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Just click here and you can subscribe. If you do, let me know how it is, please!
I am a long time subscriber to Now Playing. It is an enjoyable monthly companion to TCM.

Old 04-16-2013, 02:36 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,363 Times in 2,949 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
I am a long time subscriber to Now Playing. It is an enjoyable monthly companion to TCM.
Do you all remember when AMC used to actually show movie classics (commercial free, too!). I used to love that station. They also had a monthly magazine a lot like Now Playing. It's too bad that station changed. It would be great to have two channels running the classics.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:51 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,339 Times in 5,934 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Do you all remember when AMC used to actually show movie classics (commercial free, too!). I used to love that station. They also had a monthly magazine a lot like Now Playing. It's too bad that station changed. It would be great to have two channels running the classics.
Not to be too blunt, but AMC really wet the bed, didn't they? Used to get some great commercial-free stuff over there before they screwed up the channel.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-16-2013), XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 02:57 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Not to be too blunt, but AMC really wet the bed, didn't they? Used to get some great commercial-free stuff over there before they screwed up the channel.
Yep! They ruined that station. That was the first channel where I saw many L&H films. One year, it was one a Sunday, they had a marathon and I saw Sons of the Desert for the first time. They used to have great presenters, too, and film intros in great old movie palaces. Now, they run some crappy pictures and they are full of commercials. I never watch it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (04-16-2013), XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-16-2013, 03:07 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Forgot to mention (at least I think I forgot, if this is a repeat post I apologize) that I picked up My Man Godfrey on DVD. I know there are some bad prints out there, but this dvd is part of Universal's centennial celebration. I am ashamed to say I have not seen the film yet. But, I've never seen a Powell movie I did not like! I also picked up Hitchcock's Notorious.
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
XmasDreams (04-16-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:36 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I was excited to learn that Safety Last will be released on DVD and Blu-ray through the Criterion Collection! Criterion puts a lot of care into their releases, and I've heard this pring, and the musical score, looks and sounds great. It also has, included, the documentary that MerryCarey mentioned once on the forums entitled, "Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius." It has some other features, and three Lloyd short films. It's coming in June and I can't wait. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.criterion.com/films/28446-safety-last
Old 04-24-2013, 07:43 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I was excited to learn that Safety Last will be released on DVD and Blu-ray through the Criterion Collection! Criterion puts a lot of care into their releases, and I've heard this pring, and the musical score, looks and sounds great. It also has, included, the documentary that MerryCarey mentioned once on the forums entitled, "Harold Lloyd: The Third Genius." It has some other features, and three Lloyd short films. It's coming in June and I can't wait. Here's a link if anyone is interested:

http://www.criterion.com/films/28446-safety-last
Looks like a great release. A Carl Davis score---love his silent movie scores! "The Third Genius"---produced by Brownlow and Gill, very good. Rich Correll, one of the commentators, was a friend of Lloyd's; he helped to archive Lloyd's personal film collection and, incidentally, was the son of Charles Correll, of "Amos 'n' Andy" (radio) fame. Criterion does good work.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-24-2013)
Old 04-24-2013, 07:57 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Looks like a great release. A Carl Davis score---love his silent movie scores! "The Third Genius"---produced by Brownlow and Gill, very good. Rich Correll, one of the commentators, was a friend of Lloyd's; he helped to archive Lloyd's personal film collection and, incidentally, was the son of Charles Correll, of "Amos 'n' Andy" (radio) fame. Criterion does good work.
Just realized my typo in my post (pring=print).

I'm looking forward to this release very much! I've heard Brownlow on the Commentary Track podcast and really enjoyed the conversation. Have you ever met him?
Old 04-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Just realized my typo in my post (pring=print).

I'm looking forward to this release very much! I've heard Brownlow on the Commentary Track podcast and really enjoyed the conversation. Have you ever met him?
No, I'm just familiar with some of his documentaries. He's also an extra on a DVD we have, I forget which one, talking about discovering lost footage and about film preservation.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-24-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:40 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I have a question that MerryCarey or Mr. may know. I'm listening to the audiobook of Jerry Lewis' book about him and Dean Martin. Anyway, he references some other old comedy teams and I want to see some of them. One of the teams is Smith and Dale. Do you know if any of their footage is on DVD or available commercially? I've read about them, and I would love to see them! I'm searching the web for any of their stuff, but thought you and Mr. may know more. Thanks!