Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat > Home & Family » Need advise for the fear of flying

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,432
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Gifting Without Charging
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:03 PM
49,615 Views  0 Posts
Just Like Jesus
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:34 PM
0 Posts
Christmas Tree Using Outdoor...
By JeanetteDi
09-18-2011 03:26 PM
Last post by Christmas-man
11-23-2011 07:45 AM
92,359 Views  1 Posts
Voices of Elves in the...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:22 PM
0 Posts
"The Purloined...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:34 AM
55,334 Views  0 Posts

Old 04-18-2013, 05:54 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 11,466 Times in 1,960 Posts
xmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemenxmastidings could be one of the Wisemen
Need advise for the fear of flying

I am in need of some advise and help. I have a profound fear of flying which causes me to have a panic attack when I get on an airplane (I do not like heights). I go on-line and read alot of blah-blah-blah, (at least that's what it appears to me). My wife hit me with a bomb shell last night that we are now flying San Antonio Texas and I'm scared to death of getting on an airplane.

Is there anything recommended (from your past experiences) or advise that you can offer to me and that I could share with my doctor that I can take, do, etc... that will help me out with being on a 3-4 hour flight? And, fyi, I do not drink any alcohol any longer.

I am at a loss here but I do plan to call my doctor to see if there is anything he can prescribe to help me with this task that I have to face...

Thank you~

The Bell Still Rings for me,
as it does for all who truly Believe!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to xmastidings For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), gabulldawg (04-18-2013), made582 (04-18-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 07:46 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
sent you a PM about this issue
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:23 AM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,890 Times in 2,408 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
My problem with flying isn't fear, it is irritation. I'm glad I've largely given up the business travel I used to do. For me, absorption in other stuff -- music, movies, etc -- really helped get through it. If I was able to tune out the environment I got through it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:33 AM
Christmas Altair

Last Achievements

Thanked 20,029 Times in 2,876 Posts
shellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintshellie12 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I feel for you and i have no advice
For am worst than you . am like ba outta the a team
there is no getting me on a plane
Heights as well i cant even look at a roller coaster ride on the tv my head and stomach start
I have missed so much because of it as i have been oftered more chances to go places and cant

I have a few scars on planes and that finished me.
so i hope someone can help you i really do as they do say it is one of the safest way to travel.
And someday you may live to regret it as i know i will

Sorry i cant be of any help but just wanted to let you know your not the only one on mmc ~}
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Merry Forums Super Administrator

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,403 Times in 1,734 Posts
Maureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the WisemenMaureen could be one of the Wisemen
Your wife can't know that you're this terrified or why would she book you on a 3-4 hour flight??? Is it something you've managed to keep to yourself??
Old 04-18-2013, 09:04 AM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 18,957 Times in 3,064 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
I don't know of what advise to give except maybe take some classes that are devoted to this issue. Check with your Dr. and see that He/She may advise. they could very possibly give you some medication to take to calm you nerves. I hope everything works out. BTW the graduation services are so cool at boot camp. You want to be feeling good during this time. You will be so proud of your son and he will be a different person than he was the last time you saw him!
Old 04-18-2013, 10:36 AM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
What Jeff said plus George Dickel is my co-pilot.
Christmasstar (04-19-2013), Seawaters (04-18-2013), snowflake22 (04-18-2013), xmastidings (04-18-2013)
Old 04-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 49,382 Times in 9,029 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I have no advice to give you because I am terrified of flying too! I have been on a plane numerous times and the more I fly the worse the fear gets but no one would notice it, I keep quiet about it. I know some who take something to calm them down but I don't want to go that route. I want to get over the fear in a natural way, if possible. Not criticizing anyone wanting to take something to calm them, I just don't want to. I know my fear is silly because it's the safest form of travel that I cannot seem to get over but I am trying to overcome it. I will fly if I have to but I just do not like it one bit!

Sorry that I am no help but wanted to post to let you know that you are not alone. I plan to stick around here for the advice that will be given to you in hopes to help myself.

You should be listening to the Greasy Skillet Show with our very own RadioJonD every Saturday from 7:00 pm - 9:00 pm central time! Be sure to join the group on Facebook to chat during showtime!

Listen to Kringle Radio for your Christmas music fix! Come on by, we are open 24/7 - 365 days a year!

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:16 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,048 Times in 3,684 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Jeff´s advise sounded quite well....listen to music, watch movies, play games....stuff like this....and yes...try the doctor and ask him if there is anything he can prescribe

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2013, 01:42 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,128 Times in 26,516 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I usually take Benadryl to make me sleep. Or course, that only works out if you are in the window seat.

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post: