Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Christmas Together » Some thoughts on "The Holidays" (or the lack thereof, right now).

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,080
Threads: 53,845
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,865)
Welcome to our newest member, Amy_theexplorer

Old 04-26-2013, 12:13 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
Some thoughts on "The Holidays" (or the lack thereof, right now).

It's late April, and we've entered that part of year where Holiday/Seasonal festivities are at their lowpoint. I'm not talking about Christmas alone - it feels like we have a parade of Holidays starting with Halloween and ending with Easter. Yeah, we've got Father's Day and Mother's Day coming up, but those are not tied to seasonal change, and Memorial Day is a somber event, not a reason for festivities. So the next "colorful" holiday is the 4th of July.

So it used to feel like the holidays were done from late Spring until early Fall. I mean, when you say the words "The Holidays", people generally think of the end of the year stuff (like Christmas). Now granted, I've come to think of the 4th of July (followed by "Christmas in July") as kicking off the 2nd half of the year, so I welcome the 4th of July with open arms. Another milestone passes when we hit Labor Day (which truly kicks off the Fall festivities, and Fall and Christmas decorations usually start arriving in stores).

But from late April till about mid June, it's kind of hard to feel the Christmas Spirit (or maybe just the Holiday spirit). Winter is gone, and the hot weather is on the rise (though not yet - today's a little chilly, admittedly - but it's a beautiful Spring rain) so that can throw off the last vestige of Christmas (for me, anyway). We actually got down our summer decorations out of the attic the other day - but that meant putting up the last of the Christmas decorations up in the attic (which was sad). Sorry, I'm probably rambling.

Thankfully, I know it doesn't last long. Hobby Lobby actually starts putting out their Christmas and Fall decorations in mid June - I believe they are first when it comes to doing that, so I look forward to that, and I know the 2nd half of the year will be kicking off before you know it!

Does anyone else feel like from Halloween to Easter is one long train of Holidays, and doesn't it feel strange when it's over?
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
Clark (04-27-2013), gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (04-26-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013), snowflake22 (04-26-2013), xmas365 (05-01-2013), XmasDreams (04-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-29-2013)

Old 04-26-2013, 12:42 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,109 Times in 1,444 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Originally Posted by KWasser View Post
It's late April, and we've entered that part of year where Holiday/Seasonal festivities are at their lowpoint. I'm not talking about Christmas alone - it feels like we have a parade of Holidays starting with Halloween and ending with Easter. Yeah, we've got Father's Day and Mother's Day coming up, but those are not tied to seasonal change, and Memorial Day is a somber event, not a reason for festivities. So the next "colorful" holiday is the 4th of July.

So it used to feel like the holidays were done from late Spring until early Fall. I mean, when you say the words "The Holidays", people generally think of the end of the year stuff (like Christmas). Now granted, I've come to think of the 4th of July (followed by "Christmas in July") as kicking off the 2nd half of the year, so I welcome the 4th of July with open arms. Another milestone passes when we hit Labor Day (which truly kicks off the Fall festivities, and Fall and Christmas decorations usually start arriving in stores).

But from late April till about mid June, it's kind of hard to feel the Christmas Spirit (or maybe just the Holiday spirit). Winter is gone, and the hot weather is on the rise (though not yet - today's a little chilly, admittedly - but it's a beautiful Spring rain) so that can throw off the last vestige of Christmas (for me, anyway). We actually got down our summer decorations out of the attic the other day - but that meant putting up the last of the Christmas decorations up in the attic (which was sad). Sorry, I'm probably rambling.

Thankfully, I know it doesn't last long. Hobby Lobby actually starts putting out their Christmas and Fall decorations in mid June - I believe they are first when it comes to doing that, so I look forward to that, and I know the 2nd half of the year will be kicking off before you know it!

Does anyone else feel like from Halloween to Easter is one long train of Holidays, and doesn't it feel strange when it's over?

No not alone in how you feel about the dry period as I've always called it. Those months from Easter till fall is a drag plus that is the hot months. As one of those guys that cant stand the heat would rather it be cool or cold for my liking. Summer to me would be perfect if it was high of 75.

now what i like to do to help out the dry period is make my own mini holidays for the wife and me and now baby. we tend to call it pre-halloween and have a weekend full of spooky tricks and stuff. mid june we have a thanksgiving and here comes Christmas in July to Finnish off the time.

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
Clark (04-27-2013), gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (04-26-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), snowflake22 (04-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-29-2013)
Old 04-26-2013, 01:16 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,311 Times in 5,929 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
This is probably unusual, but I get a kick out of the "patriotic season"---Memorial Day, Flag Day, and the Fourth of July. (Probably because my birthday is July 4th. ) I like to stock my MP3 player with Sousa marches and patriotic tunes toward the end of May as I look forward to the Fourth. Also unusual for MMCers, I enjoy the summertime. I feel a drag between New Year's Day and Easter, and after July 4th, it feels like the summer is going downhill. Now that I've adopted Christmas in July, I don't get that post-Fourth letdown so much!

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (04-26-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013), xmas365 (05-01-2013), XmasDreams (04-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-29-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 08:59 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,818 Times in 3,859 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
"Halloween In May"... it's my new thing... a companion to "Christmas In July"... let's start a trend! And I don't even like Halloween!

Plus, EVERYDAY should be Thanksgiving...

Lastly, for a cartoonist like me, there's "Free Comic Book Day"... the first Saturday in May where you can go to almost any comic book shop in America and get at least one free comic book!
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), judesmama (04-29-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013), trackrebel (04-27-2013), xmas365 (05-01-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-29-2013)
Old 04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,724 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
that is a very, very cool day!!!!...the free comic book day I mean....

I also enjoy the hot season, cos I love to be outsides, play and bbq and stuff....it would be terrible if the Winter season didn´t have those holidays .....even tho I like the cold...I think it has to do with Christmas and me being used to it being in the cold

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Christmas Royalty
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,509 Times in 920 Posts
Minta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the treeMinta you could wrap up and put under the tree
I LOVE the holidays .. especially Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas but I also look forward to this time of the year. For me summer brings the trips to the shore, cook outs and trips to the local orchards and farm stands. I love to make jams so now is the time I am busy making my plans of what fruits we will be picking this summer, how much will be picked, what will be frozen and what will be used to make jams, applesauce and apple butter. The jams and applebutter will be canned, 2/3 of them will fill our pantry while the rest will be given out as gifts at Christmas.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minta For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), snowflake22 (05-01-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 11:47 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,011 Times in 361 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
The post new year's through Easter period is so busy, I don't have time to miss holidays. Besides that, Summer is a holiday in the Upper Midwest filled with all manner of weekend festivals. As much as I look forward to the Christmas season building up from July 24th, it is always a little sad to say goodbye to the glorious warm weather.
Old 04-29-2013, 12:41 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,854 Times in 1,630 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
I like to use this time of year for preparation.. try out new recipes, stalk the sales and get started on gifts!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013), snowflake22 (05-01-2013)
Old 04-29-2013, 04:08 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 51,999 Times in 9,436 Posts
Christmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmas-A-Holic leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I am kind of like MerryCarey but more focused on the 4th of July as my kick off toward the season because after that is Christmas in July!

October arrives and the thoughts of Halloween moving on into Thanksgiving then Christmas! Really exciting time then!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Christmas-A-Holic For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), MerryCarey (04-29-2013), mgramsey (05-03-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 08:08 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,641 Times in 584 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
On Halloween I always say, "Let the crazy begin!". Family really wants to be with you all of Navember & December & there is alway so much else going on too. We have family birthdays in January & March, Easter usually in April, more birthdays in June & July. School starts back the first week of August, so we are busy with that. Family birthdays in September, October, & December, alon with Halloween, Thanksgiving, & Christmas. I guess February, April, & July are the "slow" months for our family, but April has flown this year!

I listen to Chistmas music in the car year round when I'm alone
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (05-01-2013), HomemakinGirl (05-01-2013), mgramsey (05-03-2013), Minta (04-30-2013), Ryan (04-30-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-30-2013)