Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Gift 2 Chestnuts
By Christmasstar
09-09-2013 07:30 AM
Last post by Meceka
09-18-2013 08:33 PM
10,627 Views  1 Posts
Gifting Without Charging
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:03 PM
49,619 Views  0 Posts
"The Purloined...
By MerryCarey
05-21-2012 11:34 AM
55,335 Views  0 Posts
Christmas Poems from...
By MerryCarey
05-15-2012 03:09 PM
43,451 Views  0 Posts
Santa Speaks 2002
By MMC Editor
06-11-2002 10:57 PM
35,624 Views  0 Posts

Old 04-30-2013, 11:26 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,272 Times in 5,591 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I have a question that MerryCarey or Mr. may know. I'm listening to the audiobook of Jerry Lewis' book about him and Dean Martin. Anyway, he references some other old comedy teams and I want to see some of them. One of the teams is Smith and Dale. Do you know if any of their footage is on DVD or available commercially? I've read about them, and I would love to see them! I'm searching the web for any of their stuff, but thought you and Mr. may know more. Thanks!
For the best info, there's a chapter about Joe Smith & Charlie Dale in Leonard Maltin's book "Movie Comedy Teams." (Unfortunately, it's at home and I'm at the office.) A quick look at IMDB shows that they appeared in films from 1929 to 1931, mostly in early sound shorts. I believe they first made their mark in vaudeville. Their best-known routine is "Doctor Kronkheit and His Only Living Patient," which was on an album of vintage comedy performances that I had when I was a kid (and was later issued on LP). It's heavily accented "immigrant" comedy.

--Are you the doctor?
--I'm the doctor.
--I'm dubious.
--I'm glad to know you, Mr. Dubious.
etc.

You might try searching audio as well as video for a sample of this team. YouTube has "What Price Pants?" and their firehouse routine (from a 1950 TV variety show).

Trivia: The comedy team in Neil Simon's "The Sunshine Boys" was loosely based on Smith & Dale.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (04-30-2013), XmasDreams (04-30-2013), Yuletide Junkie (04-30-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 09:30 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Deanna Durbin passed away.

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-03-2013)
Old 05-01-2013, 11:43 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Yep! They ruined that station. That was the first channel where I saw many L&H films. One year, it was one a Sunday, they had a marathon and I saw Sons of the Desert for the first time. They used to have great presenters, too, and film intros in great old movie palaces. Now, they run some crappy pictures and they are full of commercials. I never watch it.
AMC had to abandon their original format, as they had an extremely limited library, & couldn't begin to compete with TCM. If not for their original series, they would not be on the air anymore, because their current library is updated, but still quite limited.
Old 05-01-2013, 02:27 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
AMC had to abandon their original format, as they had an extremely limited library, & couldn't begin to compete with TCM. If not for their original series, they would not be on the air anymore, because their current library is updated, but still quite limited.
That's such a shame, when there are so many (now) little-known but wonderful movies in the vaults. I suspect studios/copyright owners don't like to invest in making broadcast masters of rarities featuring names that aren't widely known today. Sadly, that means these films/actors are unable to be discovered by younger generations. Having friends in the film-collecting community, I'm lucky to see marvelous films that the general public doesn't have access to (collectors own authorized 16mm prints, but the titles have never been released to video), and sadly aware that the public will probably never have the chance to see them. TCM has access to the Universal vaults, but haven't bothered to bring out some gems that have long been gathering dust and are overdue for public showing.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-03-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-02-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 08:31 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,852 Times in 2,714 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
That's such a shame, when there are so many (now) little-known but wonderful movies in the vaults. I suspect studios/copyright owners don't like to invest in making broadcast masters of rarities featuring names that aren't widely known today. Sadly, that means these films/actors are unable to be discovered by younger generations. Having friends in the film-collecting community, I'm lucky to see marvelous films that the general public doesn't have access to (collectors own authorized 16mm prints, but the titles have never been released to video), and sadly aware that the public will probably never have the chance to see them. TCM has access to the Universal vaults, but haven't bothered to bring out some gems that have long been gathering dust and are overdue for public showing.
There are so many movies I have read about that I would love to see. I keep hoping that something will change one day, but I know the market just isn't there for these rare films to be released.
Old 05-03-2013, 08:38 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
I have been listening to an audio book by Jerry Lewis about his relationship with Dean Martin. I'm a HUGE Dean fan, but not so much a Jerry fan. In fact, I really haven't seen that many Martin and Lewis films. But, this book is making me want to watch some of them and give them another shot. Dean was very funny, but doesn't seem to get credit for it as he's looked at as a singer who made movies. He was a good actor in my opinion, and a ton of fun to watch.

The Martin and Lewis films have been released on DVD but only in box sets and they are hard to come by and expensive. I wish they would get single releases. It doesn't seem as if TCM shows them often, either.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
mgramsey (05-03-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

I have been listening to an audio book by Jerry Lewis about his relationship with Dean Martin. I'm a HUGE Dean fan, but not so much a Jerry fan. In fact, I really haven't seen that many Martin and Lewis films. But, this book is making me want to watch some of them and give them another shot. Dean was very funny, but doesn't seem to get credit for it as he's looked at as a singer who made movies. He was a good actor in my opinion, and a ton of fun to watch.

The Martin and Lewis films have been released on DVD but only in box sets and they are hard to come by and expensive. I wish they would get single releases. It doesn't seem as if TCM shows them often, either.
I agree that Dino can be a VERY funny guy. We got ahold of some videos of his 1960s TV variety show, and he's a hoot in those. The backstory is that he would only do a series on HIS terms, which included insisting that he would not come in to rehearse, but only come in on the day of taping. (He learned his songs on his own during the week.) A stand-in rehearsed with the guests. That led to some funny moments on the show. And he tended to work rather loosely anyway---he had no problem with throwing in ad-libs or unscripted business.

I am not a Jerry fan because of some firsthand accounts that I've heard from two people who have worked with him, one while working on a book about his films, the other one while working with him on a movie.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-03-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-03-2013)
Old 05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
I agree that Dino can be a VERY funny guy. We got ahold of some videos of his 1960s TV variety show, and he's a hoot in those. The backstory is that he would only do a series on HIS terms, which included insisting that he would not come in to rehearse, but only come in on the day of taping. (He learned his songs on his own during the week.) A stand-in rehearsed with the guests. That led to some funny moments on the show. And he tended to work rather loosely anyway---he had no problem with throwing in ad-libs or unscripted business.

I am not a Jerry fan because of some firsthand accounts that I've heard from two people who have worked with him, one while working on a book about his films, the other one while working with him on a movie.
Perhaps one day, privately, you can share the Jerry stories. I'd love to hear. Isn't that awful! But, it's hard to pass up some good movie biz gossip. He admits in this audio book that in the past he was a jerk. I hope he's changed, but who knows? I'm guessing his ego is quite large. A little bit of his comedy goes a long way with me. Although I do find the Nutty Professor to be his funniest picture.

I've heard, on the other hand, that Dean was a very nice guy!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:00 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I ordered a new DVD today of some Charley Chase shorts from when he was at Columbia. I have not seen much of his work so I am looking forward to this!
Old 05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

I ordered a new DVD today of some Charley Chase shorts from when he was at Columbia. I have not seen much of his work so I am looking forward to this!
You're in for a treat, if you like Columbia shorts. (They get a bit noisy and frantic for me, although Chase's aren't as bad as some others.) I prefer his Hal Roach shorts, but any Charley Chase is good for me. He directed shorts at Columbia too, including some for the Three Stooges.

Wait'll you see "The Heckler." He's the baseball spectator from h---. "Watch him miss it!!!"

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-07-2013)