Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 05-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 21,331 Times in 2,948 Posts
Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
You're in for a treat, if you like Columbia shorts. (They get a bit noisy and frantic for me, although Chase's aren't as bad as some others.) I prefer his Hal Roach shorts, but any Charley Chase is good for me. He directed shorts at Columbia too, including some for the Three Stooges.

Wait'll you see "The Heckler." He's the baseball spectator from h---. "Watch him miss it!!!"
I can't wait to see them! I thought about buying a dvd with some of his silent Roach comedies. But, this set I purchased has a short he directed that features Smith and Dale, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.
Old 05-07-2013, 02:36 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,269 Times in 5,920 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
I can't wait to see them! I thought about buying a dvd with some of his silent Roach comedies. But, this set I purchased has a short he directed that features Smith and Dale, and I'm looking forward to seeing them in action.
His silent comedies are SO good ... "Limousine Love" and "Mighty Lak a Moose" come to mind, but there are others that are great, and the Roach talkies, too. More folks should be watching him, now that his stuff is becoming available. Watch him in his Roach shorts with Thelma Todd---they had a thing going, and you can see there's a connection there. (Also carefully watch Thelma and Chico Marx in "Horse Feathers" while he's doing his piano solo ... they look REALLY chummy!)

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-08-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-20-2013)
Old 05-08-2013, 08:19 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Ryan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintRyan leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Poor Thelma Todd.

I love to write fiction (no telling if any of it will ever be published). I have a detective character set in the 30s who gets involved in the murder case of a young actress who has more than a few things in common with Todd (names are changed, and some facts are changed to suit the story). I've always liked Todd and hold sort of a soft spot for her.

Do you hold to the suicide theory?
Old 05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

This isn't vintage film, but it is the best forum for it, I suppose. Yesterday I came across some OTR that I was not familiar with. I heard an episode of the Phil Harris-Alice Faye show, and it was VERY funny! It makes me want to find more episodes and chekc them out. Seem to have more of an edge to it than some comedy from that era.
Old 05-08-2013, 10:09 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Poor Thelma Todd.

I love to write fiction (no telling if any of it will ever be published). I have a detective character set in the 30s who gets involved in the murder case of a young actress who has more than a few things in common with Todd (names are changed, and some facts are changed to suit the story). I've always liked Todd and hold sort of a soft spot for her.

Do you hold to the suicide theory?
No. I understand from things that I've read that she was in the midst of her Christmas shopping and had already mailed Christmas cards, and was talking about other plans. Friends are quoted as saying she was upbeat and optimistic about her career. I'd lean more toward accident or murder. After all this time, we'll never know.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:06 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Fyi

Programming Note: Thursday night on TCM there is a whole batch of Harold Lloyd comedies coming on! Some I have on DVD, but there's a lot I don't! I'm looking forward to it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (05-20-2013), XmasDreams (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:22 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,722 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love Doris Day Movies....there is one....I donīt know the English Title.....where she is married to a gynecologist and has two children....she is the perfect housewive.....then she and her husband invited to a patients home for dinner.......he is working in advertising and is looking for an actress in his new soap spot......long story short.....Doris Day gets that one....and this throws the entire familylife upside down.....

anybody know how that movies is called?

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following User Says Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 12:56 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by trackrebel View Post
I love Doris Day Movies....there is one....I donīt know the English Title.....where she is married to a gynecologist and has two children....she is the perfect housewive.....then she and her husband invited to a patients home for dinner.......he is working in advertising and is looking for an actress in his new soap spot......long story short.....Doris Day gets that one....and this throws the entire familylife upside down.....

anybody know how that movies is called?
I Googled the key words in your description. I think it's "The Thrill of It All."

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (05-20-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 01:43 PM
candy cane hustla

Last Achievements

Thanked 16,722 Times in 3,787 Posts
trackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real sainttrackrebel leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
yup that is the name....You gotta watch it.....it is a nice movie....funny and all......ok....the emancipation seems a longshot in that movie.....still....I love that movie

Merry Christmas to All and God bless You

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to trackrebel For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (05-20-2013), Ryan (05-20-2013), snowflake22 (05-20-2013)
Old 05-23-2013, 08:15 PM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

I am watching some of the Harold Lloyd shorts on TCM. These prints look amazing! I am not sure how they restored them, but for 96 year old pictures they are pristine.

Sent from my KFJWI using Tapatalk 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (05-23-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-24-2013)