Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Media > Music » What's the Best version of...

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Music Scripture doesn't say it be we know those angels were singing at the manger. And music has been the heart of Christmas ever since.

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,078
Threads: 53,832
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,804)
Welcome to our newest member, JoseChung

Old 05-17-2013, 08:31 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 2nd Class
Last Achievements

KWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elfKWasser is a good elf
What's the Best version of...

There's a ton of Holiday songs that have been done by multiple artists.

I figured I'd start a thread where I occasionally stop in and ask: "What's the best version of..." and then throw out a song for debate. By "best", it could be your personal favorite, or the one that gets played most on the radio, whatever standard you want to use for "best"...

For starters: what's the best version of... "Oh Holy Night" ?

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to KWasser For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (09-20-2013), Christmasstar (05-18-2013), gabulldawg (09-25-2013), snowflake22 (05-17-2013), Stnicholas01 (07-19-2013)
Old 05-17-2013, 03:41 PM
MMC Associate Editor -- Christmas Foods

Last Achievements

Thanked 47,616 Times in 7,651 Posts
Meceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMeceka leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
I love Josh Groban's version!

There seems a magic in the very name of Christmas ~ Charles Dickens

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human face ~ Victor Hugo
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Meceka For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-18-2013), Courtney (05-18-2013), snowflake22 (05-17-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 02:44 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,177 Times in 418 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Carrie Underwoods version is so powerful
Christmasstar (05-18-2013), Stnicholas01 (07-19-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:05 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

RachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elfRachRon is a good elf
Bing Crosby that is a classic
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RachRon For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-18-2013), Courtney (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 08:39 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,815 Times in 3,857 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
Being from Pittsburgh, it is required of me to say Lou Christie's version is best...

gabulldawg (09-25-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:40 AM
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Nat King Cole's version is very simple and very sincere.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-18-2013), Courtney (05-18-2013), Yuletide Junkie (05-22-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 11:52 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,269 Times in 5,920 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
Nat King Cole's version is very simple and very sincere.
You're right ... quiet and understated.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (05-18-2013)
Old 05-18-2013, 05:17 PM
Christmas dreaming...

Last Achievements

Thanked 74,661 Times in 14,900 Posts
xmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintxmas365 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by George Broderick, Jr. View Post
Being from Pittsburgh, it is required of me to say Lou Christie's version is best...

That is my favorite version, I was going to suggest that one.

Last edited by xmas365; 05-19-2013 at 10:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to xmas365 For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (09-25-2013)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:46 AM
Last Achievements

Superfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elfSuperfreak3 is a good elf
I'm an instrumental freak and also feel you can't go wrong with Percy Faith...

The Following User Says Thank You to Superfreak3 For This Useful Post:
gabulldawg (09-25-2013)
Old 05-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 5,815 Times in 3,857 Posts
George Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the WisemenGeorge Broderick, Jr. could be one of the Wisemen
All good and worthy suggestions! Now, how about going from the highly religious to the highly secular..? "Baby, It's Cold Outside"...

I have to go with the remixed "duets" style version by Dean Martin and Martina McBride...
gabulldawg (09-25-2013)