Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

Christmas Together We're here year round and even though we are scattered all over the world and most of us have never met face-to-face we find ways to celebrate the season together. From our annual Christmas exchanges to scheduled chats our Christmasing together is discussed here.


  Log-in
  Register



















» Stats
Members: 9,975
Threads: 53,447
Posts: 601,680
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,108)
Welcome to our newest member, Angelfrog
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Washington's Christmas...
By MMC Editor
07-03-2011 09:16 PM
58,535 Views  0 Posts
Gift for Men
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 06:42 PM
57,119 Views  0 Posts
Christmas in Italy
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:22 PM
46,147 Views  0 Posts
The Summer Creation of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:05 PM
44,345 Views  0 Posts
Once Upon a Foggy...
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:05 PM
50,050 Views  0 Posts
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #161  
Old 06-10-2013, 08:01 AM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is online now
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 24,691
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 20,911
Thanked 19,870 Times in 2,718 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
MerryCarey...or anyone else who is a fan of L&H...TCM is showing Zenobia today. Looks to be Oliver Hardy's only lead role apart from Stan Laurel. I have my DVR set. Anyone seen this film?
Reply With Quote
  #162  
Old 06-26-2013, 07:26 AM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is online now
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 24,691
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 20,911
Thanked 19,870 Times in 2,718 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Recently I found out that one of my favorite classic film stars, Rhonda Fleming, is still alive. I wrote her, not thinking I'd hear anything back. I was shocked at how quickly I did hear back and we struck up a very nice correspondence. We had some great conversations. She's 89 (I think) but still sharp! When she saw my address as being in Moore, she went out of her way to ask about my family and check on us after the tornadoes. She also sent me a very nice autographed picture with a personal message on it.
She talks alot about faith, as we share common beliefs. She also talked about Ronald Reagan and how classy of a guy he was. She stated she was also a fan of working with Bing Crosby.
My favorite movie of hers (and one of my all time favorites) is Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and she shared some tidbits about the filming of that picture.
That was the first time I ever tried to contact a celebrity. I usually don't, but since I've been a big fan for a long time, and I knew she was getting older, I went ahead and did it. I'm glad I did!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (08-30-2013), MerryCarey (06-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (06-26-2013)
  #163  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:36 AM
MerryCarey's Avatar
MerryCarey MerryCarey is offline
Christmas Deity


Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 13,963
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 7,033
Thanked 36,341 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
MerryCarey...or anyone else who is a fan of L&H...TCM is showing Zenobia today. Looks to be Oliver Hardy's only lead role apart from Stan Laurel. I have my DVR set. Anyone seen this film?
It's been a long time ago, but I've seen it. It's not a bad little film. It's an 1800s period piece. Harry Langdon sues small-town doctor Hardy for alienation of affection---of his performing elephant!

Why isn't Laurel in the film? The canny producer Hal Roach maintained separate contracts (with different expiration dates) with Laurel and Hardy after they became a team. He figured that way, they couldn't leave the studio as a team. Laurel's contract had run out, and he waited out the period between his expiration and Hardy's. In the meantime, Roach made use of Hardy by putting him in "Zenobia" (with Harry Langdon, who non-observant viewers could mistake for Stan Laurel). After this, I believe Laurel & Hardy were able to negotiate a joint contract with Roach.

You can see other Oliver Hardy (supporting) solo performances in the John Wayne film "The Fighting Kentuckian," and in the Bing Crosby/Frank Capra film "Riding High." He was a fine character actor.
__________________


Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (06-26-2013), xmastidings (06-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (06-26-2013)
  #164  
Old 06-26-2013, 09:47 AM
MerryCarey's Avatar
MerryCarey MerryCarey is offline
Christmas Deity


Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 13,963
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 7,033
Thanked 36,341 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Recently I found out that one of my favorite classic film stars, Rhonda Fleming, is still alive. I wrote her, not thinking I'd hear anything back. I was shocked at how quickly I did hear back and we struck up a very nice correspondence. We had some great conversations. She's 89 (I think) but still sharp! When she saw my address as being in Moore, she went out of her way to ask about my family and check on us after the tornadoes. She also sent me a very nice autographed picture with a personal message on it.
She talks alot about faith, as we share common beliefs. She also talked about Ronald Reagan and how classy of a guy he was. She stated she was also a fan of working with Bing Crosby.
My favorite movie of hers (and one of my all time favorites) is Gunfight at the O.K. Corral, and she shared some tidbits about the filming of that picture.
That was the first time I ever tried to contact a celebrity. I usually don't, but since I've been a big fan for a long time, and I knew she was getting older, I went ahead and did it. I'm glad I did!
It never hurts to try! Some ignore their mail, but many cherish every letter, and a wonderful few take the time to answer personally.

A tip for those who are hoping for a personal answer: Be kind and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Not all former stars are wealthy or have staff, so the cost of postage can become considerable for those who answer their fan mail personally. If you send a photo for an autograph, include packaging and postage for its return trip to you. The star will appreciate your consideration.
__________________


Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
xmastidings (06-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (06-26-2013)
  #165  
Old 06-26-2013, 10:53 AM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is online now
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 24,691
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 20,911
Thanked 19,870 Times in 2,718 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
It never hurts to try! Some ignore their mail, but many cherish every letter, and a wonderful few take the time to answer personally.

A tip for those who are hoping for a personal answer: Be kind and include a self-addressed, stamped envelope. Not all former stars are wealthy or have staff, so the cost of postage can become considerable for those who answer their fan mail personally. If you send a photo for an autograph, include packaging and postage for its return trip to you. The star will appreciate your consideration.
Are there any others from the classic period still with us? I know it is hard to define "classic period," and I know some of the big names are (Kirk Douglas, for example). But I wonder if any of those now largely forgotten artists are still with us.
Reply With Quote
  #166  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:49 AM
MerryCarey's Avatar
MerryCarey MerryCarey is offline
Christmas Deity


Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 13,963
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 7,033
Thanked 36,341 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
Are there any others from the classic period still with us? I know it is hard to define "classic period," and I know some of the big names are (Kirk Douglas, for example). But I wonder if any of those now largely forgotten artists are still with us.
Very few ... Deanna Durbin passed away a few weeks ago. Shirley Temple is still living, but I've heard that she takes a very dim view of her childhood career. I think Diana Serra Cary (Baby Peggy) is still living. Jerry Tucker from Our Gang is still with us, as well as some of the lesser-known members, I believe. Jane Withers is still living. I'm realizing that these were all children during the "golden era" of Hollywood films. There are very few left with living memories of those days. That's why we cherish our time with Gloria so highly---she has in-person memories of W.C. Fields, Donald O'Connor, Bing Crosby, Groucho Marx, Mel Torme, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Carmen Miranda, Alan Jones, Edward G. Robinson, Lon Chaney (Jr.), and so many others.
__________________


Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (06-26-2013), Yuletide Junkie (06-26-2013)
  #167  
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 AM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is online now
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 24,691
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 20,911
Thanked 19,870 Times in 2,718 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Very few ... Deanna Durbin passed away a few weeks ago. Shirley Temple is still living, but I've heard that she takes a very dim view of her childhood career. I think Diana Serra Cary (Baby Peggy) is still living. Jerry Tucker from Our Gang is still with us, as well as some of the lesser-known members, I believe. Jane Withers is still living. I'm realizing that these were all children during the "golden era" of Hollywood films. There are very few left with living memories of those days. That's why we cherish our time with Gloria so highly---she has in-person memories of W.C. Fields, Donald O'Connor, Bing Crosby, Groucho Marx, Mel Torme, Boris Karloff, Basil Rathbone, Nigel Bruce, Carmen Miranda, Alan Jones, Edward G. Robinson, Lon Chaney (Jr.), and so many others.
Now you've sold me...I'm going to have to read the book on Gloria! In fact, I just ordered it off of Amazon.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryan For This Useful Post:
MerryCarey (06-26-2013)
  #168  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:01 PM
Yuletide Junkie's Avatar
Yuletide Junkie Yuletide Junkie is offline
Christmasologist
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 2,136
Thanks: 1,148
Thanked 892 Times in 325 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Roger Ebert's memoir is a good read in and of itself, but the sections on John Wayne & Robert Mitchum are of particular interest to classic movie buffs.
__________________
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yuletide Junkie For This Useful Post:
Ryan (06-26-2013)
  #169  
Old 06-26-2013, 12:04 PM
Ryan's Avatar
Ryan Ryan is online now
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 24,691
Blog Entries: 2
Thanks: 20,911
Thanked 19,870 Times in 2,718 Posts
Ryan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa enviousRyan makes even Santa envious
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
Roger Ebert's memoir is a good read in and of itself, but the sections on John Wayne & Robert Mitchum are of particular interest to classic movie buffs.
I need to read that some time. I love John Wayne!
Reply With Quote
  #170  
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 AM
MerryCarey's Avatar
MerryCarey MerryCarey is offline
Christmas Deity


Last Achievements
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: New England, USA
Posts: 13,963
Blog Entries: 4
Thanks: 7,033
Thanked 36,341 Times in 5,604 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
For anyone who is going to be, or can be, in the New York City area on September 29 or 30, the Film Forum is having a great show of formerly lost films:

--A two-reel short in two-strip Technicolor featuring the Three Stooges, "Hello Pop!" (1933)
--"Gobs of Fun" (1933), a Vitaphone short with a previously unknown appearance by Shemp Howard
--A long-unseen Robert Benchley short, "Your Technocracy and Mine" (1933)---Universal struck a new 35mm print for this show!
--"Sharps and Flats," a nutty-funny Vitaphone short with Jimmy Conlin and Myrtle Glass---I've seen this one on video, and it's crazy!
--Rare fragments of early Technicolor, courtesy of the George Eastman House

A friend of ours tipped us off to this show, and it sounds great. There's a chance we might be able to go, but I'm not sure yet.
__________________


Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Ryan (08-30-2013), XmasDreams (08-30-2013), Yuletide Junkie (08-30-2013)
Reply

Bookmarks






Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Year Round Christmas Radio -- Listen now!

Listen to Kringle Radio via...

Winamp
Windows Media


Click to listen now!


Listen to the Merry Podcast NOW

Christmas Fans -- Ranking the Best of Christmas









2012 Founder's Award