Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Gadget and tech talk

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,972
Threads: 53,434
Top Poster: xmas365 (149,754)
Welcome to our newest member, LightsNXS
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didnīt cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Wreaths: Eternity's...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 09:28 PM
50,441 Views  0 Posts
santahat Santa Speaks 2012
By MMC Editor
10-09-2012 10:26 AM
Last post by lanoraloveselfs
11-26-2012 02:54 PM
93,202 Views  1 Posts
Celebrating Christmas in...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 10:03 PM
46,759 Views  0 Posts
The Tradition of...
By MMC Editor
06-08-2002 05:47 PM
62,575 Views  0 Posts
santahat Santa Speaks 2011
By made582
10-09-2011 10:40 PM
Last post by monical
04-19-2013 03:25 AM
2 Posts

Old 06-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 36,271 Times in 5,591 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by RadioJonD View Post
Details?
It's an Edirol R-05 digital recorder that's on the way. I bought an Edirol R-09 in 2008 and have always gotten fine results with it. A couple years ago I bought a TASCAM DR-07 Mk II and didn't like it very well. I usually patch in a mic, and the recordings sounded a little "grainy" to me and less "rounded" than the Edirol. The built-in mics were a total disaster for me---no matter where I placed them, they picked up breath noise like a windstorm. And without a line-in, I couldn't digitize LPs and cassettes like I did with the Edirol, so I kept going back to it.

I had bought a new SD card for the Edirol yesterday and I had to update the firmware before I could even use the card! That set me to wondering what the current Edirol hand-held models were, and that's when I discovered that Amazon had the Edirol R-05 for $169.99. Most other retailers are charging $199.99. It has pretty much the same features you listed for the TASCAM DR-08, plus you can record WAV and MP3 simultaneously, and the reviews were great. I went ahead and ordered one, figuring that the price might not last.

Do you know anyone who'd want a barely-used TASCAM DR-07 Mk II, complete with a microSD card and a fresh set of batteries? I don't have any use for it with the new Edirol coming.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-10-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,207 Times in 2,270 Posts
RadioJonD has disabled reputation
The Edirol looks interesting! Price incentives draw me in too!

The Tascam DR-08 took care of the line input lacking on the DR-07. The Tascam is sensitive right enough! One doesn't want to be holding the thing while recording either! I've never tried an external mic.

Don't know anyone off the top of my head for the Tascam DR-07 but we do have a classified section here!

Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
It's an Edirol R-05 digital recorder that's on the way. I bought an Edirol R-09 in 2008 and have always gotten fine results with it. A couple years ago I bought a TASCAM DR-07 Mk II and didn't like it very well. I usually patch in a mic, and the recordings sounded a little "grainy" to me and less "rounded" than the Edirol. The built-in mics were a total disaster for me---no matter where I placed them, they picked up breath noise like a windstorm. And without a line-in, I couldn't digitize LPs and cassettes like I did with the Edirol, so I kept going back to it.

I had bought a new SD card for the Edirol yesterday and I had to update the firmware before I could even use the card! That set me to wondering what the current Edirol hand-held models were, and that's when I discovered that Amazon had the Edirol R-05 for $169.99. Most other retailers are charging $199.99. It has pretty much the same features you listed for the TASCAM DR-08, plus you can record WAV and MP3 simultaneously, and the reviews were great. I went ahead and ordered one, figuring that the price might not last.

Do you know anyone who'd want a barely-used TASCAM DR-07 Mk II, complete with a microSD card and a fresh set of batteries? I don't have any use for it with the new Edirol coming.
The Following User Says Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2013, 08:19 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Adobe Audition -3

Adobe is giving Audition version 3 away. - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...ml?PID=5628473

There are some very useful tools available for ripping vinyl.

I use an earlier version for recording radio shows as well.

Add an inexpensive mixer and microphone and there isn't any excuse for you, yes YOU, not to have a show on either of the Merry Network internet radio stations!
Old 07-09-2013, 08:56 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Adobe is giving Audition version 3 away. - http://helpx.adobe.com/x-productkb/p...ml?PID=5628473

There are some very useful tools available for ripping vinyl.

I use an earlier version for recording radio shows as well.

Add an inexpensive mixer and microphone and there isn't any excuse for you, yes YOU, not to have a show on either of the Merry Network internet radio stations!
It's too late for me to mess with this tonight ... How long do you think this will last? I've been happy with Audacity, but I'll try Audition if it's free.

I've never used a mixer on my segments---I did it all inside Audacity. How does the mixer fit into the recording?

The Following User Says Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Old 07-10-2013, 01:33 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Alrighy, here goes!

...I've never used a mixer on my segments---I did it all inside Audacity. How does the mixer fit into the recording?
Well, that's hard to say! Here is a stab at an explanation.

The entire set up, including two computers, is run through my stereo component system.

The nucleus of the set up is a Teac AG-V8050 Audio/Video Sound Receiver.

Into the Teac are:

Magnavox MSR 90D6 DVD Player/Recorder

Hitachi FX665 HiFi-Stereo / 4-Head VHS VCR (with Smphonic TV)

ION (model #?) Turntable

Pioneer CT-M50R Multi Audio Cassette Recorder/Player (Holds and plays/records six audio cassettes, both sides. This was the work horse during the Christmas season back in the day; think 12 hours on six 120 minute cassettes!)

Tannoy PBM 8 speakers (two)

Bose 301 Series II Direct/Reflecting speakers (two)

Tascam US-122L USB 2.0 Audio/Midi Interface (the component that ties all the below into the Teac.)

** Here's where it gets tricky...**

Into the Tascam Interface:

Behringer XENYX 802 Audio Mixer

Into the Behringer Mixer:

Dell Computer (sparing all the details) that contains iTunes & all other music files. This is also the computer on line.

HP Computer (sparing all the details) that contains Adobe Audition and which I use to record radio shows. This computer is never used for online access.

AKG C535EB Microphone

Radio Shack Stereo Audio Source Selector.

All are magically connected via a spider webbed, spaghetti-ed maze of wires, each of which would be very difficult to trace should (when) the occasion arises. When our older home was rewired a few years ago, the lead electrician took one look at "the room" and instantly said "This room is going into it's own breaker!" They installed extra power outlets too!

That's the short answer, MerryCarey. (Aren't you glad that hyperlinks and images are limited to three a piece! I'm torqued off myself.)

Last edited by RadioJonD; 07-10-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-10-2013, 02:10 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Holy soundwave! Makes my "setup" look like Fisher-Price.

I patch an inexpensive Radio Shack microphone into my Edirol R-09 (soon to be my Edirol R-05) to record any speaking. When I'm finished I carry the SD card to our iMac and copy the files onto the iMac. Then I "build" the segment in Audacity, which I use to edit and mix, importing music and sound files from folders on the iMac. I have software that lets me extract audio from movie/TV soundtracks, if I need audio clips.

That's how a rank amateur does it! I once carried my entire "recording studio" to Hawaii in the same suitcase as my clothing: mic, desktop mic stand, digital recorder, AA batteries, and extra-long USB extension.

I guess you use the mixer to mix "on the fly" while recording, instead of mixing after recording?

I'm still trying to get my head around that cassette machine that records both sides of six cassettes!!

Well, that's hard to say! Here is a stab at an explanation.

The entire set up, including two computers, is run through my stereo component system.

The nucleus of the set up is a Teac AG-V8050 Audio/Video Sound Receiver.

Into the Teac are:

Magnavox MSR 90D6 DVD Player/Recorder

Hitachi FX665 HiFi-Stereo / 4-Head VHS VCR (with Smphonic TV)

ION (model #?) Turntable

Pioneer CT-M50R Multi Audio Cassette Recorder/Player (Holds and plays/records six audio cassettes, both sides. This was the work horse during the Christmas season back in the day; think 12 hours on six 120 minute cassettes!)

Tannoy PBM 8 speakers (two)

Bose 301 Series II Direct/Reflecting speakers (two)

Tascam US-122L USB 2.0 Audio/Midi Interface (the component that ties all the below into the Teac.)

** Here's where it gets tricky...**

Into the Tascam Interface:

Behringer XENYX 802 Audio Mixer

Into the Behringer Mixer:

Dell Computer (sparing all the details) that contains iTunes & all other music files. This is also the computer on line.

HP Computer (sparing all the details) that contains Adobe Audition and which I use to record radio shows. This computer is never used for online access.

AKG C535EB Microphone

Radio Shack Stereo Audio Source Selector.

All are magically connected via a spider webbed, spaghetti-ed maze of wires, each of which would be very difficult to trace should (when) the occasion arises. When our older home was rewired a few years ago, the lead electrician took one look at "the room" and instantly said "This room is going into it's own breaker!" They installed extra power outlets too!

That's the short answer, MerryCarey. (Aren't you glad that hyperlinks and images are limited to three a piece! I'm torqued off myself.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-10-2013), made582 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 03:17 PM
♪♫Mistletoe Mixologist♪♫

Last Achievements

Holy soundwave! Makes my "setup" look like Fisher-Price.

I patch an inexpensive Radio Shack microphone into my Edirol R-09 (soon to be my Edirol R-05) to record any speaking. When I'm finished I carry the SD card to our iMac and copy the files onto the iMac. Then I "build" the segment in Audacity, which I use to edit and mix, importing music and sound files from folders on the iMac. I have software that lets me extract audio from movie/TV soundtracks, if I need audio clips.

That's how a rank amateur does it! I once carried my entire "recording studio" to Hawaii in the same suitcase as my clothing: mic, desktop mic stand, digital recorder, AA batteries, and extra-long USB extension.

I guess you use the mixer to mix "on the fly" while recording, instead of mixing after recording?

I'm still trying to get my head around that cassette machine that records both sides of six cassettes!!
Nothing wrong with simplicity, MC! Ironically, that is where I experience the most trouble!

Yes, the record levels are all pretty much set through the mixer (which, now that I realize, is the real answer to your initial question) as Audition captures the audio source. I use the levels in Audition to "normalize" each recorded piece, 80% for music, 85% for voice. After putting all the pieces together into a full show, the entire finished product is again normalized to 99% before saving to a wav (for CDs) or mp3 file (for broadcast).

Redundant I know but if levels are consistent going into Audition, the less to manipulate once inside Audition. My opinion is that the end sound quality is better when levels are primarily maintained via the mixer.

I had never even heard of a 6 tandem cassette player/recorder before I spotted mine in a discount store many moons ago! I'm thinking that rapid technological advances in the digital age minimized the need for such a deck as it went into production. Folks were also using VHS HiFi VCRs for analog audio recording at the time which helped minimize the need for audio cassette tandem recorders.

Back in the day I would set back to back timers for both the VHS & audio machines for a combined total of twenty hours (8 VHS & 12 audio cassette) of continuous recording from, first terrestrial, and then internet, radio stations! High tech!

One of my favorite seasonal radio recordings was caught on that deck as it recorded from the Alabama Public Radio while we were away shopping!

Probably my most prized captured from broadcast radio program to date is "Yuletide Tunes" with Don Dixon & Marti Jones. This was recorded live at Georgetown University in 1995 for later airing over NPR stations. Others on the recording are Marshall Crenshaw (my initial excitement about the program), Darius Rucker (yes, THAT Darius Rucker), and Beth Chorneau.

In fact, when I entered the Internet world, I lobbied various places/sources to get "Yuletide Tunes" commercially released! So far, nothing. I did make a contact on Marshall Crenshaw's forum that supplied me with CDs that reportedly were burned from the actual sound board source recording of the program. Certainly this "source" version sound quality is cleaner than my audio cassette recording. But I do still have the cassette and a CD I mastered from that cassette before I got the source version! Some things are just hard to get rid of! (And remember girls and boys, a preposition is a terrible thing to end a sentence with!)

I still think the thing is too cool for school!

(Slightly different model but looks the same as mine - rjd)

Last edited by RadioJonD; 07-10-2013 at 03:32 PM. Reason: YouTube!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RadioJonD For This Useful Post:
Christmasstar (07-10-2013), made582 (07-10-2013)
Old 07-17-2013, 03:55 PM
MMC Media Guru Extraordinaire

Last Achievements

dvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the treedvdelf you could wrap up and put under the tree
Rumor has it we could see an announcement of a new galaxy nexus tablet as early as next week.
I'm hoping this is just the start of a string of announcements from different manufacturers
Old 07-20-2013, 02:55 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,092 Times in 408 Posts
jayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoejayden28 would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Originally Posted by MonsterMasher View Post
Not really a gadget but I'm definitely looking forward to the new PlayStation, lol
pre ordered mine so it should be a great early christmas present for my two boys and myself.
Old 07-21-2013, 03:12 AM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

molepomandmistletoe has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by dvdelf View Post
Rumor has it we could see an announcement of a new galaxy nexus tablet as early as next week.
I'm hoping this is just the start of a string of announcements from different manufacturers
I hope so. I'm looking at getting a tablet for the kids this christmas and Nexus seem to be ideal for what they need. If I split the cost with the ex we should be able to get them a really good one for the money.