Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,833
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, G7152

Old 01-01-2013, 05:48 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

Wizard has shown a merry dispositionWizard has shown a merry dispositionWizard has shown a merry dispositionWizard has shown a merry disposition
January 2nd is probably the worst day for PCB, no more parties, decorations come down and everyone's mood kinda drops. It was the impetus for my first post here, over 4 years ago now. Crazy.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wizard For This Useful Post:
Adam (01-01-2013), gabulldawg (01-01-2013), snowflake22 (07-05-2013), xmas365 (01-01-2013)
Old 01-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Magi

Last Achievements

Thanked 19,003 Times in 3,072 Posts
gabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa enviousgabulldawg makes even Santa envious
I agree a lot with what Xmas said about the bad feeling in your stomach ...That is it exactly...The only thing I can compare it too was that feeling I had when I was in kindergarden and 1st grade...when My mom left the classroom and I was all alone with all those kids...lol I wanted my Moma!!! But seriously that same empty feeling is kinda like the same one I get every year for a few days...just a bad feeling in my gut...today had been rough...I did crappy on my diet that I should have started at midnight..I mean it's still technically the holidays until midnight tonight and we still have sooo much food around..All I have done is sit around.. eat.. get fatter.. and long for the holidays
Old 01-01-2013, 08:20 PM
Formally xrockchild

Last Achievements

Adam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the treeAdam you could wrap up and put under the tree
Originally Posted by gabulldawg View Post
I agree a lot with what Xmas said about the bad feeling in your stomach ...That is it exactly...The only thing I can compare it too was that feeling I had when I was in kindergarden and 1st grade...when My mom left the classroom and I was all alone with all those kids...lol I wanted my Moma!!! But seriously that same empty feeling is kinda like the same one I get every year for a few days...just a bad feeling in my gut...today had been rough...I did crappy on my diet that I should have started at midnight..I mean it's still technically the holidays until midnight tonight and we still have sooo much food around..All I have done is sit around.. eat.. get fatter.. and long for the holidays
Thatís exactly it. The empty feeling just feels awful. Life "going back to normal" is what people keep saying. I think because the last three months of the year are so busy. I spend allot of time decorating for Halloween, fall and Christmas. I feel like there is so much build up, family members/friends, good food, beautiful decorations. By the time the season is over I realized I forgot to just stop and take it all in. I think thatís what I will do now, leave up the decor a little longer and enjoy it some more. I got my hot chocolate and a brownie. Trying to catch up on new Christmas movies I may have missed. I am kind of "weaning" off the holidays, haha! The abrupt ending is too much, so I have to do it slow. Lots of people still have Christmas lights on, so that always makes me smile.

The other funny idea I had was a reverse Christmas decor day. Sort of like when we first put up the tree! Make it a fun day just like the start of the season. Listen to Christmas music; eat cookies, hot chocolate, talk about each ornament and what you loved about Christmas this year. Accept don't put it all away at once. Leave out some of the winter decor, or leave out your favorite decoration, or leave up the lit wreath for a little longer. I was thinking I would leave the tree up, undecorated for a day, then put it away. I want to make it something fun instead of something sad.

Starting a list for next year. I need to shop for decor even earlier next year. I need a few MORE things, I didn't get enough of a few things. By the time it was December, so much decor was already gone. This yearís Christmas, I am just going to buy decor right away. When I waited too long, certain things were gone.

My friend also gave me some advice about feeling sad about Christmas being over. When you start to feel sad play the ďgrateful game.Ē The grateful game is when you go over each and every little thing you love about Christmas. What is it about the ornaments, or the snow, what you did this Christmas, what you will do again next Christmas. Feel the thoughts warming your heart, concentrate on those warm feelings and allow it to fill you. The moment I feel even a little sad, I stop and take two minutes to do this. Itís really helped.

Thanks for being here Christmas friends.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Adam For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (01-02-2013), gabulldawg (01-01-2013), snowflake22 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:26 AM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

Art has shown a merry dispositionArt has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Blues

I realized many years ago that I could not survive with just one or two weeks a year of Christmas in my life. I am 65 years old, and about 25 years ago I decided to leave my home fully decorated year round. I have twelve fully decorated & lit Christmas trees (for the 12 days of Christmas of course) throughout my home. Also have a collection of over 3,000 St.Nicholas/Santas which are in every room, corner,nook, bookcase, shelve, etc. I listen to Christmas music 365 days a year, and I share Christmas Spirit 24/7, 365 days a year. It is totally awesome! My family and friends know that they can come to my home in the middle of the dog days of summer and have a Christmas Dinner. I also keep a year round supply of snow balls in my deep freezer which I save and cherish all winter long. Nothing like a snow ball fight in the middle of July. I know it is overkill for me, but try keeping just one room decorated to avoid those Christmas blues. Good luck!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Art For This Useful Post:
DoubleA (07-06-2013), snowflake22 (01-18-2014), xmas365 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 01:27 PM
My Merry Christmas Founder and Chief Light Stringer of the Merry Forums

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,930 Times in 2,417 Posts
Jeff Westover has disabled reputation
Art,

3000 Santas?

WOW. I'd love to see a picture of that!

Jeff

Originally Posted by Art View Post
I realized many years ago that I could not survive with just one or two weeks a year of Christmas in my life. I am 65 years old, and about 25 years ago I decided to leave my home fully decorated year round. I have twelve fully decorated & lit Christmas trees (for the 12 days of Christmas of course) throughout my home. Also have a collection of over 3,000 St.Nicholas/Santas which are in every room, corner,nook, bookcase, shelve, etc. I listen to Christmas music 365 days a year, and I share Christmas Spirit 24/7, 365 days a year. It is totally awesome! My family and friends know that they can come to my home in the middle of the dog days of summer and have a Christmas Dinner. I also keep a year round supply of snow balls in my deep freezer which I save and cherish all winter long. Nothing like a snow ball fight in the middle of July. I know it is overkill for me, but try keeping just one room decorated to avoid those Christmas blues. Good luck!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jeff Westover For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-05-2013), xmas365 (07-04-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

BoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry dispositionBoxerMom has shown a merry disposition
Originally Posted by Art View Post
Wow that sounds so awesome!! I would love to see pics too!
The Following User Says Thank You to BoxerMom For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-05-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:20 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,177 Times in 418 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Now that is impressive and a true love of Christmas, would love to see a pic too!
snowflake22 (01-18-2014)