Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » That special Christmas Eve Tradition

My Merry Christmas Announcement

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 10,079
Threads: 53,842
Top Poster: xmas365 (162,835)
Welcome to our newest member, MistleToeSnow

Old 07-05-2013, 07:37 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Thanked 38,289 Times in 5,925 Posts
MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
Any Centaur Films in the mix?
Not sure what you mean ... Castle Films was a company that produced one-reel (10-minute) films for people who had a home-movie projector; another was Official Films.

Are you a Spug? Click here to find out!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Minta (07-10-2013), snowflake22 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-06-2013, 02:25 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,177 Times in 418 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Christmas Eve has changed recently. I used to spend it at my folks house, we would have a nice dinner, open one present each, call our family in NY who opens presents on Christmas eve, then watch a Christmas movie, usually Christmas Vacation.

Now we spend Christmas with them and Christmas Eve with my inlaws. We have a semi formal meal, head off to church then sit by the fire and watch a Christmas movie. Then we head home and watch another Christmas tale.
'Tis the season (07-08-2013), ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (07-10-2013), snowflake22 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-07-2013, 01:22 AM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

Woody67 has shown a merry disposition
The past few years, I've driven my parents to my brother's home on Christmas Eve morning. It's about a four-hour trip which gives us plenty of time to listen to Christmas Carols on the way. We always leave early, between 6 and 7 am to beat some of the traffic.

My brother closes his dental office at noon and we meet at a favorite Mexican joint for lunch. After lunch, we deliver pound cakes my mother bakes to about a half dozen family friends. The visits are short but meaningful.

After a rest, we head to church service at 6 p.m. And the back to my brother's for soup and sandwiches.

My sister-in- law fore all out in decorating her home. It's fun for me to see where she places her figurines and different decorations each year. She and my brother are 11 years older than me, and each year since 1977 when I was in the third grade I've given her a different decoration. She uses many of them to this day.

Sometimes my niece will play a few Christmas Carols on the piano, which is fun before we settle in to watch a movie of some sort. Egg nog, hot chocolate and popcorn is always on hand.

We all generally doze off during the movie. Before bed, I usually a chapter or two from Jeff Guinn's book "The Autobiography of Santa Claus." It's an excellent book that intertwines the history of Christmas with many of the legends involving Santa Claus. The book has 25 chapters, so I try to read a chapter a day in December. I usually fall behind at some point in the month, but it's easy to catch up.

It's really a good family day that I cherish more each year.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Woody67 For This Useful Post:
'Tis the season (07-08-2013), ballcoach (09-29-2013), ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (07-22-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (07-10-2013), Neotericisis (11-13-2013), snowflake22 (07-07-2013)
Old 07-10-2013, 09:57 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,641 Times in 584 Posts
whitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnogwhitney37354 will NOT spit in your eggnog
I start early on Christmas Eve morning cleaning house for Santa's arrival. All day I'm watching Christmassy things on tv, doing my best to watch the Little House on the Prairie episode, "The Christmas They Never Forgot" at some point during the day.

FIL does his Christmas shopping on Christmas Eve, so some years we go with him just to people watch. Other years we stay at home & FIL & MIL come by our house for a few minutes before heading home with the gifts.

Late afternoon we go to our favorite restaurant in town for dinner. The restaurant is closed on Monday's, so those years, I make chili. There have been a few years when we've gone to the mall to people watch & had food court meals.

After our early dinner, we go to DH's best friend's house, where we exchange gifts. Then it's back home to make sweets for Santa & watch It's a Wonderful Life, before throwing out reindeer food in the front yard. After DD is asleep, I help Santa deliver the gifts, then go to bed at midnight. That's two hours later than usual for me. I really need to get to bed early so I'm not so tired on Christmas night, but I'm as excited as a little kid on Christmas Eve!

Each year is a little different, but the basics are still there!

Christmas Eve has always been my favorite day of the year. Every year growing up was the same: dinner and gift exchange at my maternal grandparent's house at 5 p.m., gift exchange at my paternal grandparent's house after that. When we got home, it was time for bed. Even after I "knew about Santa", in third grade, I was still excited for Christmas morning. The rest of Christmas day was depressing for me, even as a child.

I'm glad that now my little family has Christmas Eve to do as we please, & then we spend Christmas morning with DH's family & Christmas evening with my family. It makes the magic last longer!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to whitney37354 For This Useful Post:
ballcoach (09-29-2013), ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (07-10-2013), XmasDreams (07-10-2013)
Old 07-11-2013, 02:25 PM
Christmas Altair
Last Achievements

Thanked 50,402 Times in 8,241 Posts
HomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Christmas Eve is always spent with my husbands side of the family, and the day is spent with mine. We have done it this way ever since I have been married, over twenty years ago. I'm thankful that it works out, we are able to see both sides and everyone is happy!
ballcoach (09-29-2013), ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), whitney37354 (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:38 AM
Christmasologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,010 Times in 360 Posts
Yuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elfYuletide Junkie is a good elf
Originally Posted by MerryCarey View Post
Not sure what you mean ... Castle Films was a company that produced one-reel (10-minute) films for people who had a home-movie projector; another was Official Films.
Centaur Films produced "Suzy Snowflake" & "Hard Rock, Coco, & Joe". These are Christmas music stop action films that came out long before any one dreamed of MTV. Last I checked You Tube had copies of them that kind souls have uploaded.
Old 07-12-2013, 12:46 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

MerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintMerryCarey leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by Yuletide Junkie View Post
Centaur Films produced "Suzy Snowflake" & "Hard Rock, Coco, & Joe". These are Christmas music stop action films that came out long before any one dreamed of MTV. Last I checked You Tube had copies of them that kind souls have uploaded.
Aha! Castle Films also released those titles. They're still shown on a local TV station in Chicago---they're an annual tradition there. The Castle Films releases have passed into public domain in the U.S., so they're fair game for YouTube.

I did a podcast segment about Castle Films, and there's a brief clip of "Hardrock, Coco, and Joe" in it. IIRC, there was a third film by the same producer of "Frosty the Snowman."

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), XmasDreams (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:17 PM
Santa's Mentor
Last Achievements

Thanked 6,109 Times in 1,444 Posts
XmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companionXmasDreams is a safe caroling companion
Aha! Castle Films also released those titles. They're still shown on a local TV station in Chicago---they're an annual tradition there. The Castle Films releases have passed into public domain in the U.S., so they're fair game for YouTube.

I did a podcast segment about Castle Films, and there's a brief clip of "Hardrock, Coco, and Joe" in it. IIRC, there was a third film by the same producer of "Frosty the Snowman."

Also a forgotten 4th that is another holiday but gets forgotten all the same. Peter Cottontail was the other one and if you buy the complete set from Chicago it comes in a nice box art set.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardrock-Snowf.../dp/B00AEYAQ1K

Hester, Pat (2013-11-14). Christmas Mall Follies (p. 56). . Kindle Edition.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to XmasDreams For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Festive Spirit (09-06-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Christmas Deity

Last Achievements

Originally Posted by XmasDreams View Post
Also a forgotten 4th that is another holiday but gets forgotten all the same. Peter Cottontail was the other one and if you buy the complete set from Chicago it comes in a nice box art set.

http://www.amazon.com/Hardrock-Snowf.../dp/B00AEYAQ1K
I didn't know about that---totally cool!
I got a big laugh out of the line under the title: "Coco, Joe Hardrock (Actor)." Yeah, who wouldn't miss a movie starring Coco and Joe Hardrock?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MerryCarey For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013), XmasDreams (07-12-2013)
Old 07-12-2013, 11:08 PM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

HollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry dispositionHollyJolly has shown a merry disposition
I always enjoy reading the Christmas Eve tradition threads!

It's just Mr. and me, and we're film collectors. So we spend our Christmas Eve evening in our little projection area in the basement. We usually watch several Christmas shorts (mostly Castle Films), "Winter Serenade," and a 1949 kinescope of an Earl Wrightson musical program. Our feature film is usually "We're No Angels" (in gorgeous Technicolor!). We round out the evening with "Star in the Night," one of my all-time favorite Christmas films (an Oscar-winning short subject). It's very much the same every year, but I always look forward to it---it's my favorite night of the year.
Are these commercially available?

SORRY...wrote this before I read the rest of the thread.
Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before. What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas, perhaps, means a little bit more. ---Theodor Seuss Geisel a.k.a. Dr. Seuss
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to HollyJolly For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-21-2013), Holiday (09-10-2013), Minta (09-23-2013)