Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Traditions & Memories » What December activities do you look forward too?

Traditions & Memories This forum area discusses all the time honored traditions of Christmas. From Christmas trees to mistletoe to great fun with Santa these topics bring us together and inspire great celebration year round. We relish learning of Christmas from all parts of the world and sharing unique cultural traditions from all over. Share your ideas and fond memories here!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,977
Threads: 53,464
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,699)
Welcome to our newest member, SnowflakeMom
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
The Legend of Baboushka
By MMC Editor
06-03-2002 01:56 PM
58,120 Views  0 Posts
Neiman Marcus Has Just...
By Jeff Westover
10-09-2012 04:00 PM
25,591 Views  0 Posts
Of Greatest Worth
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:29 PM
45,194 Views  0 Posts
santahat Light on a Snowy Day
By MMC Editor
11-07-2011 07:41 AM
0 Posts
The Christmas Dress
By MMC Editor
05-31-2002 09:40 PM
Last post by caninemomssister
11-20-2013 05:09 PM
1 Posts

Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,779 Times in 3,193 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by MerryBells View Post
You have to know our family. We have a good time no matter where we go.
Sounds a lot like our family! That's what life is all about, right? Enjoying our time together!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
GingerMel (09-28-2011), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 10-07-2011, 04:23 PM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Spyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elfSpyells is a good elf
There are just so many things! I don't even know where to start!!!

We always get our Christmas tree in the second week of December. It normally takes us a week to decorate it. I really enjoy decorating the tree.

We start Christmas shopping by the first week of December. If it's a good year we'll start in mid-November. I love Christmas shopping although I hate regular shopping.

Listening to Christmas music is awesome! I begin listening in mid-October or mid-November. It depends on the year.

I always decorate the inside of the house a week before Christmas. I put out pine cones, little santa's, small angels, small Christmas trees, etc. I also put the Christmas table cloth on the table on Christmas Eve.

Gingerbread House!!! I make a Gingerbread House every year. I love the fresh smell of Gingerbread. Sometimes I also make Gingerbread cookies.

I enjoy wrapping presents while listening to Christmas music. I'm the official present wrapper in my house. I wrap everyone's gifts except my own. I love seeing what everyone is going to get.

We also leave out cookies for Santa. Even though my brothers are old enough to know Santa isn't real now, we still do it as a tradition.

Cooking Christmas dinner is so fun. We start cooking Dec. 23 and we normally don't finish until around midnight on Christmas Eve. I cook with my Mom and Grandma and the atmosphere in the house is so nice. There is so much laughter and we play Christmas music as we cook. Every year my brothers will sneak a taste test when they think we aren't looking.

Spending time with my family is the most fun. I enjoy seeing my little brothers eyes light up when they go to the Christmas tree Christmas morning and see the presents. It was adorable when they were little because they ran straight to the cookie plate to see if Santa had eaten the cookies.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I enjoy watching all the Christmas cartoons. My favorite is a Charlie Brown Christmas. My favorite scene is Linus telling Charlie Brown the meaning of Christmas.
"For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Saviour, which is Christ the Lord." Luke 2:11 KJV

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Spyells For This Useful Post:
Holiday (10-15-2013), One Spoiled Brat (10-17-2011), snowflake22 (10-15-2013)
Old 11-02-2011, 08:33 AM
Little Snowflake
Last Achievements

Thanked 2,024 Times in 237 Posts
Cetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoeCetacea would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
- Christmas Markets: I don't know if you have them to, but in my country there are christmas markets in almost every village. Some are very traditional and well known. I love to visit them and look at all the decoration stuff and handmade things they sell, as well as to the great food!

- Christmas Music: As far as I know we do not have radio station which only plays christmas music, but I have lots of cds and during christmas season we play lots of them!

- Christmas movies: I love to watch the christmas episodes of old tv shows like "little house on the praire" or other movies.

- Decoration: Everything that just looks remotely like christmas is great. Eventhough I prefer the old fashionate resp. the traditional decorations.

- Spending time with family: My family lives all over my country and in our neighbour countries and christmas is the time we all come together.

- Food: On christmas eve we eat rolled (smoked) ham and potatoe salad every year, which happens do be my favourite meal! I also love all the cookies and other things that are special in this season.

- Snow: Switzerland is known for having much snow. Unfortunately it all depends on how high up ones live. I do love snow and wish for a white christmas every year. But we didn't have much luck the last years. Maybe this year it will happen!
Whenever there is happiness, hope you’ll be there too. Wherever there are friendly smiles, hope they’ll smile on you. Whenever there is sunshine, hope it shine especially for you. To make each day for you, as bright as it can be. from Ireland

Best Regards, Mona
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cetacea For This Useful Post:
Holiday (10-15-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013), Solice (07-29-2013), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 07-04-2013, 07:36 PM
Merry Forums Twinkle Light Checker
Last Achievements

Art has shown a merry dispositionArt has shown a merry disposition
Special December activity

I am of Italian heritage and we always look forward to celebrating the feast day of Saint Nicholas on December 6th. every year. Everyone tries to take the day off from work, and we attend church services, exchange gifts, and have a festive Italian Christmas dinner in the evening. In Europe, December the 6th is a day of great celebrations, festivities, parades, and dancing in the streets. The remains of St. Nicholas are buried at the Basilica of St. Nicholas in Bari, Italy. It is a great celebration in my home that really gets the Christmas Season going into full swing. Shoes and stockings are left by an open window on the eve (December 5th) and are filled by "Papa Natale" with treasures such as small toys, pieces of fruit, and fine Italian candies for all good boys and girls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Art For This Useful Post:
Holiday (07-25-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013)
Old 07-05-2013, 11:01 PM
Merry Forums Chestnut Roaster
Last Achievements

Magpie has shown a merry dispositionMagpie has shown a merry dispositionMagpie has shown a merry disposition
Christmas Tree

December to me means the end of the school year and the start of our long summer holidays. It means doing 'finishing off the year with easy Christmas activities' days! I love the longer,warmer days, starting to swim in our pool and easy BBQ dinners. I really love Christmas lighting with my son every night...my husband thinks we're crazy! I love the carols playing, getting cards in the mail and decorating our house. I just love the whole casual, festive atmosphere that December brings. BRING IT ON!!!:merry
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Magpie For This Useful Post:
Holiday (07-25-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 AM
Magi
Last Achievements

Thanked 19,779 Times in 3,193 Posts
Holiday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHoliday leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Snowman2

Originally Posted by Art View Post
I am of Italian heritage and we always look forward to celebrating the feast day of Saint Nicholas on December 6th. every year. Everyone tries to take the day off from work, and we attend church services, exchange gifts, and have a festive Italian Christmas dinner in the evening. In Europe, December the 6th is a day of great celebrations, festivities, parades, and dancing in the streets. The remains of St. Nicholas are buried at the Basilica of St. Nicholas in Bari, Italy. It is a great celebration in my home that really gets the Christmas Season going into full swing. Shoes and stockings are left by an open window on the eve (December 5th) and are filled by "Papa Natale" with treasures such as small toys, pieces of fruit, and fine Italian candies for all good boys and girls.
How fun!! I never realized St. Nicholas Day was celebrated so much anymore. Love it! Sounds like a great day! Wish I were closer to partake!

Originally Posted by Magpie View Post
December to me means the end of the school year and the start of our long summer holidays. It means doing 'finishing off the year with easy Christmas activities' days! I love the longer,warmer days, starting to swim in our pool and easy BBQ dinners. I really love Christmas lighting with my son every night...my husband thinks we're crazy! I love the carols playing, getting cards in the mail and decorating our house. I just love the whole casual, festive atmosphere that December brings. BRING IT ON!!!:merry

That's interesting to see - December being the start of a long summer holiday! We are gearing up for being snuggled up inside by a fire for a few months! Please send one of those BBQ dinners over about January 15th please! Yum!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Holiday For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (10-15-2013), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:13 AM
Christmas Deity
Last Achievements

Thanked 8,096 Times in 1,292 Posts
Festive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the treeFestive Spirit you could wrap up and put under the tree
It's everything really..

The christmas themed movies and specials
Seeing the decorations and actually doing the decoratiing.
Making and enjoying the seasonal food and drink
Shopping and deciding on the perfect gifts
Christmas Markets
Listening to the music
Putting up the tree
Writting cards
taking my children to see santa and doing other christmas activities with them
christmas scented candles

I just love celebrating the festive atmosphere!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Festive Spirit For This Useful Post:
Holiday (07-29-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013), Solice (07-29-2013), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 07:26 AM
Merry Forums Eggnog Chugger
Last Achievements

mommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry dispositionmommyby3 has shown a merry disposition
Some of my favorite things are:

Putting up my trees
baking goodies( we deliver about 30 baskets of goodies every Christmas Eve)
riding around looking at the lights
all the Christmas smells (cookies, candles, and such)
playing Christmas music ( even though I do that all Year)
going shopping and wrapping gifts

There are so many more. I just can't wait till Christmas season gets here
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mommyby3 For This Useful Post:
Festive Spirit (07-30-2013), Holiday (07-29-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 09-05-2013, 02:10 PM
Merry Forums Mistletoe Hanger
Last Achievements

deffenm has shown a merry dispositiondeffenm has shown a merry disposition
1.) Cutting down the christmas tree & spending the day decorating it while watching Christmas Vacation and eating cookies.
2.) My husband and the kids decorate the outside of our house while I am out shopping or working and then when I come home the lights are on and I am surprised to see what they have done.
3.) Holiday baking
4.) Listening to christmas music and watching christmas movies
5.) driving around looking at christmas lights and visiting our zoo for their wildlights event.
6.) celebrating our daughters birthday on Dec. 24
7.) wrapping presents and finding new places to hide them
8.) waking up before everyone on Christmas morning to turn on the tree lights, christmas music, throwing cinnamon rolls in the oven, and sipping my hot tea.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to deffenm For This Useful Post:
Holiday (10-29-2013), mommyby3 (10-29-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013), XmasDreams (09-05-2013)
Old 10-15-2013, 03:42 PM
Merry Forums Tinsel Straightener
Last Achievements

WinterGirl has shown a merry disposition
Card-making with my H and kids

Watching our favorite Christmas movies

My daughter's annual Christmas ballet performance

Cooking with my husband

Cozy nights by the fire drinking cider with my husband while my son and daughter play, color, etc.

Wrapping presents and watching the pile under the tree grow.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WinterGirl For This Useful Post:
Bullypup (11-06-2013), Holiday (10-15-2013), mommyby3 (10-29-2013), snowflake22 (10-15-2013), Spyells (10-15-2013)