Members Area
Countdown to Christmas --
Visit My Merry Christmas on Facebook!   Visit My Merry Christmas on Twitter!   Get My Merry Christmas on RSS
Navigation » Merry Forums of My Merry Christmas > Christmas Today > Chit Chat » Scenes from a Hallmark Ornament Premier

Chit Chat Link Christmas Presented by Link Christmas, the World's Largest Directory of Christmas Links, this merry area of the forums is where we gather to say hello and to share Christmas year round through a large variety of topics. All are welcome!

Log-in
  Register

» Stats
Members: 9,973
Threads: 53,442
Top Poster: xmas365 (150,043)
Welcome to our newest member, Norrisrals
» Recent Comments
Hot Cocoa or Hot Chocolate: A Matter of Taste
It's hard to find good writing now a days. But you have done a great job with all these sharing hot Cocoa and hot Chocolate. That's interesting. Thanks for sharing.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
My top favorite Christmas Sitcoms: All from M*A*S*H , Happy Days, Laverne and Shirley. Step By Step - I'll Be Home For Christmas
His Name is Bud
love this story! Thanks for sharing your memories.
The Best of Christmas Sitcoms
Here are my top 10: (in no particular order) All 3 M*A*S*H Christmas episodes they made: Dear Dad Dear Sis Death Takes a Holiday The Bob Newhart Show: His Busiest Time I'm Dreaming of a...
Tips for Buying a Fresh Tree
I will do that fresh cut of the trunk.....that was my problem last Christmas.....the tree lost so many needles....even tho it was fresh....the problem was....since I didn´t cut the trunk....the tree...
» Random Entries
Christmas Tree Christmas During the...
By Meceka
08-12-2011 05:57 PM
Last post by thumbie123
03-03-2013 09:21 AM
4 Posts
Xtree1 Saying No to Black Friday
By MMC Editor
10-19-2011 07:05 AM
Last post by sprinkleshouse
07-28-2013 02:25 PM
52,952 Views  5 Posts
Little Girl's Christmas:...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2002 07:55 PM
53,895 Views  0 Posts
Kids and Santa Online
By MMC Editor
06-02-2002 09:23 PM
48,548 Views  0 Posts
The Santa Clause (Movie...
By MMC Editor
06-09-2011 09:06 PM
Last post by Joyfully yours
11-02-2013 05:16 AM
50,926 Views  4 Posts

Old 07-13-2013, 12:40 AM
Merry Forums Elf, 1st Class
Last Achievements

redkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elfredkaga is a good elf
Scenes from a Hallmark Ornament Premier

It's now about 1:30am locally, and I just got home from my first midnight Hallmark Ornament Premiere. A local franchise (about 25 minutes from me) was open from midnight to 2am to give the hardcore collectors a head start, and it was an interesting experience. Here are my observations:

12:05am - Arrived at the store in time to see some 25 people in line ahead of us. At first I was afraid they were only letting in a few people at a time, but we realize they had yet to unlock the doors.

12:07am - A fellow in his early 20's wanders over from a bar a few door down in the strip mall asking what the line was for. I was surprised at the disdain a few people showed. An elderly gentleman says "It's not free beer." Maybe folks thought he wouldn't believe we were waiting for Christmas ornaments at midnight on July 13.

12:09am - An employee hands us door prize tickets and says they'll be drawing numbers throughout the time and not wait until 2:00am, but you have to be present to win. I wonder how many folks would've waited the whole 2 hours for a chance to win the candles and packaged candy that appears to be the door prizes.

12:10am - The employee with the raffle tickets says that the registers don't think it's time to be open, but they're letting us in anyway. *Wait! What did she say?*

12:11am - Two dozen people weave their way through the typical Hallmark trinket displays to find the ornaments. I ignore the regular display and look for the limited quantity and club exclusive ornaments.

12:14am - After two passes around the store I realize the limited quantity ornaments are not here. I'm worried that they've all been reserved by people who called in advance and they're sitting in the huge pile of pre-order bags behind the register.

12:15am - Store employees see the error of their ways and wheel out a cart with the limited quantity ornaments still in brown cardboard boxes. Frantic collectors start grabbing ornaments off the cart and the employees improvise a way to hand them out to collectors waiting in lines.

12:18am - While folks are still getting their limited and club ornaments, those who are ready to complete their sales have been told that they have to wait while the timed computerized checkout system is bypassed to allow people to pay for their purchases and leave.

12:25am - With many collectors finished filling baskets with their purchases and waiting for the system to wake up, I go back to look at the now mostly-abandoned ornament display. I observe that the following look to be hot items this year: The final Kringleville ornament is sold out; popular series like beauty of birds and 12 Days of Christmas are going fast. The cool icicles series is off to a good start, as is North Pole Tree Trimmers. The second cookie cutter ornament looks to be popular with this crowd, and it's sold out now too. The Pigpen snowman is popular, and the Wizard of Oz pieces are holding their own.

12:27am - First door prize drawing... and the winner of this fine candle is... not me.

12:30am - The store gets a phone call from somewhere telling them that they won't be able to process orders tonight. Please bring your ornaments to the front, and we'll put them in a bag with your name on it, and you can come back tomorrow to check out... really?!

12:31am - Things get ugly as people begin to protest. Somebody drove an hour to get there, somebody else is leaving first thing in the morning for a week's vacation. I quietly stand by, waiting to get my items placed on the ever-shrinking counter space.

12:35am - Another door prize drawing... same result.

12:40am - My ornaments safely stowed in a stapled paper bag behind the counter, I walk past the the plates of uneaten cookies, out the front door to head back home. I won't be collecting any door prizes tonight, but I'm also taking home as many new ornaments as our friend from the bar who was drawn to a waiting line.

My final observation... attending a midnight ornament premiere is an interesting way to spend a July Friday/Saturday, but I don't really see the value in the activity beyond seeing what ornaments are worth buying during a regular premier and which might sell out before you get a chance to buy. I don't see to many stores going to this sort of thing, especially if other stores have the same checkout system. The end result for me... an 8 hour jump start on Christmas.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to redkaga For This Useful Post:
ChristmasSpirit76 (07-14-2013), Christmasstar (07-13-2013), ItsAWonderfulMovie (07-24-2013), judesmama (07-13-2013), kgstyles (07-13-2013), MerryCarey (07-13-2013), snowflake22 (07-13-2013), sugar142286 (07-13-2013), Yuletide Junkie (07-15-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 02:15 AM
Mistletoeologist
Last Achievements

Thanked 1,164 Times in 409 Posts
DoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoeDoubleA would be nice to meet under the mistletoe
Well, glad you got the chance to check it out early shame it didnt go a bit smoother. But at least we have a kick off for Christmas now! Im on my way tomorrow morning!
Christmasstar (07-13-2013), snowflake22 (07-13-2013), sugar142286 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 06:26 AM
Christmas Altair
Last Achievements

Thanked 40,765 Times in 6,390 Posts
HomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintHomemakinGirl leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
People must have been frustrated. I love how in the end you look at the bright side, good for you
Christmasstar (07-13-2013), sugar142286 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 09:16 AM
Leader of the Heavenly Host

Last Achievements

Thanked 76,217 Times in 12,636 Posts
Christmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintChristmasstar leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
LOL, you could write a book about this!
I would be frustrated to if I took the time to come out and this happened.
Glad managed to bag some ornaments
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Christmasstar For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-13-2013), sugar142286 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 11:55 AM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
How exciting they did that! What a nice Christmas in July kickoff!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 01:13 PM
MMC's Ambassador to the North Pole

Last Achievements

Thanked 144,327 Times in 26,555 Posts
made582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintmade582 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Sounds like it was a great idea but terrible excution!!!

Only in the agony of parting do we look into the depths of love. ~George Eliot
Don't forget to listen to the Greasy Skillet Saturday nights 8 to 10pm EST
Leader of the get Steven Colbert to keep Lovemas tradition movement!!!
Stay Safe and Hurry Back Dawg!!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to made582 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 02:43 PM
North Pole's RN

Last Achievements

Thanked 77,065 Times in 13,240 Posts
sugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Glad you got some nice ornaments! I plan on going tomorrow! What a great way to spend CIJ!

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
- Burton Hillis
The Following User Says Thank You to sugar142286 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-13-2013)
Old 07-13-2013, 03:56 PM
...and Noel's mama, too!

Last Achievements

Thanked 7,788 Times in 1,618 Posts
judesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemenjudesmama could be one of the Wisemen
Just got back myself!! I am so in the spirit!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to judesmama For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 04:21 PM
*Harlowe's Mom*

Last Achievements

Thanked 82,537 Times in 13,909 Posts
snowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsnowflake22 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by redkaga View Post
It's now about 1:30am locally, and I just got home from my first midnight Hallmark Ornament Premiere. A local franchise (about 25 minutes from me) was open from midnight to 2am to give the hardcore collectors a head start, and it was an interesting experience. Here are my observations:

12:05am - Arrived at the store in time to see some 25 people in line ahead of us. At first I was afraid they were only letting in a few people at a time, but we realize they had yet to unlock the doors.

12:07am - A fellow in his early 20's wanders over from a bar a few door down in the strip mall asking what the line was for. I was surprised at the disdain a few people showed. An elderly gentleman says "It's not free beer." Maybe folks thought he wouldn't believe we were waiting for Christmas ornaments at midnight on July 13.

12:09am - An employee hands us door prize tickets and says they'll be drawing numbers throughout the time and not wait until 2:00am, but you have to be present to win. I wonder how many folks would've waited the whole 2 hours for a chance to win the candles and packaged candy that appears to be the door prizes.

12:10am - The employee with the raffle tickets says that the registers don't think it's time to be open, but they're letting us in anyway. *Wait! What did she say?*

12:11am - Two dozen people weave their way through the typical Hallmark trinket displays to find the ornaments. I ignore the regular display and look for the limited quantity and club exclusive ornaments.

12:14am - After two passes around the store I realize the limited quantity ornaments are not here. I'm worried that they've all been reserved by people who called in advance and they're sitting in the huge pile of pre-order bags behind the register.

12:15am - Store employees see the error of their ways and wheel out a cart with the limited quantity ornaments still in brown cardboard boxes. Frantic collectors start grabbing ornaments off the cart and the employees improvise a way to hand them out to collectors waiting in lines.

12:18am - While folks are still getting their limited and club ornaments, those who are ready to complete their sales have been told that they have to wait while the timed computerized checkout system is bypassed to allow people to pay for their purchases and leave.

12:25am - With many collectors finished filling baskets with their purchases and waiting for the system to wake up, I go back to look at the now mostly-abandoned ornament display. I observe that the following look to be hot items this year: The final Kringleville ornament is sold out; popular series like beauty of birds and 12 Days of Christmas are going fast. The cool icicles series is off to a good start, as is North Pole Tree Trimmers. The second cookie cutter ornament looks to be popular with this crowd, and it's sold out now too. The Pigpen snowman is popular, and the Wizard of Oz pieces are holding their own.

12:27am - First door prize drawing... and the winner of this fine candle is... not me.

12:30am - The store gets a phone call from somewhere telling them that they won't be able to process orders tonight. Please bring your ornaments to the front, and we'll put them in a bag with your name on it, and you can come back tomorrow to check out... really?!

12:31am - Things get ugly as people begin to protest. Somebody drove an hour to get there, somebody else is leaving first thing in the morning for a week's vacation. I quietly stand by, waiting to get my items placed on the ever-shrinking counter space.

12:35am - Another door prize drawing... same result.

12:40am - My ornaments safely stowed in a stapled paper bag behind the counter, I walk past the the plates of uneaten cookies, out the front door to head back home. I won't be collecting any door prizes tonight, but I'm also taking home as many new ornaments as our friend from the bar who was drawn to a waiting line.

My final observation... attending a midnight ornament premiere is an interesting way to spend a July Friday/Saturday, but I don't really see the value in the activity beyond seeing what ornaments are worth buying during a regular premier and which might sell out before you get a chance to buy. I don't see to many stores going to this sort of thing, especially if other stores have the same checkout system. The end result for me... an 8 hour jump start on Christmas.
That is quite an experience!!

I agree with Made, they didn't have it planned out very well. But so cool that they had a midnight showing!! Love that!

I went early this morning, and it was quiet when I arrived. Very few knew they were opening @ 8:30, and so I was able to get everything on my wish list!

When I left @ 10:00, it was packed!!

Phew!

So jazzed about Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2013, 04:47 PM
North Pole's RN

Last Achievements

Thanked 77,065 Times in 13,240 Posts
sugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saintsugar142286 leaves the frosting on Santa's cookies, a real saint
Originally Posted by snowflake22 View Post
That is quite an experience!!

I agree with Made, they didn't have it planned out very well. But so cool that they had a midnight showing!! Love that!

I went early this morning, and it was quiet when I arrived. Very few knew they were opening @ 8:30, and so I was able to get everything on my wish list!

When I left @ 10:00, it was packed!!

Phew!

So jazzed about Christmas!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So glad you were able to get everything you wanted!

The best of all gifts around any Christmas tree: the presence of a happy family all wrapped up in each other.
- Burton Hillis
The Following User Says Thank You to sugar142286 For This Useful Post:
snowflake22 (07-13-2013)